Painting with Interlux Brightside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grahamdouglass

Vessel Name
Summer Wind 1
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 41
In May of 2014 I painted the topsides of my trawler, a 1981 Marine Trader 41 with Interlux Brightside. I sanded my gelcoat, applied 3 coats of undercoat and 2 coats of Brightside. All paint coatings were sanded between coatings.

Only vertical surfaces were painted with Brightside. All horizontal surfaces were painted with perfection. Things worked out very good. Untill this year. Receantly some but not all vertical surfaces have started to buble. Some are pinsize. Only one surface have large 1/4" size bubbles.

After 5 years, why now? I live Vancouver B.C. The boat is totally covered with a Lohman Boat cover from October to April.

Has any one else had this problem? The solution, sanding and repainting sounds like a real drag.

We’ve absolutely had the same sad results. Years ago I painted the (seaflexed) sides of my 44’ Chesapeake Bay deadrise with 1 part brightside paint. It was still looking good when I sold it after 3-4 years of recreational use.
I was so impressed with it that we used it when we refurbed the flybridge & flybridge decks of our Mainship a couple of years ago. Not long after launching the boat, I noticed that bubbles were appearing in the paint on the horizontal surfaces but honestly only in the lockers and especially under the life jacket bags where I suppose the dampness remained. When we rebuild & repainted the decks plus repainted the cockpit deck and cabin sides the next year, I was sure to use 2-part perfection branded paint.
All of the work prepping and painting the bridge and bridge floors will have to be repeated (a pita because before the entire bridge was removed as was all of the hardware, which made the job much easier) because a 2-part paint can’t be applied over a 1-part.
So yes, the bubbling seems to be a characteristic of the 1 part paint in our case.

Back
Top Bottom