A painting of the Coot, and more

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Perla commissioned a painting, still in progress, of the Coot. The artist is a long-term resident of an institute for the criminally insane where she provides interpretive services. This is the result, which was way more than expected:

:rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
Great picture! Nice representations.

What is the artist's interpretation of the dinosaurs?

Al, your guess is as good as mine. Same for the 18th-century sailing ship and Easter Island statues. And who the heck is driving the Coot while I'm ashore?!

That's pretty cool, Mark. Regardless of what the artist had in mind with regards to the dinosaurs and statues, it makes you think and wonder and that's what defines good art in my book. Don't know if you have a place for it in your boat, but it's certainly worth a nice framing job and displaying it.

Wow, that's amazing. At first glance it was just a very nice portrait. Then I saw the weird stuff. Fascinating.

That's awesome.

Would be interesting to get the artist's thoughts, but that might not be easy to do.

That is really cool.
Where did he get the images of you two?
I would guess he is quite fond of Perla and I mean that in a good way.

That is really cool.
Where did he get the images of you two?
I would guess he is quite fond of Perla and I mean that in a good way.

We provided photographs of us and the Coot, but not of dinosaurs and such.:D

Very cool! The dinosaurs may be a bit off base, but I'll bet the glass of wine in hand is spot on. :D

Looks great. You could call the dinosaurs over grown iguanas.

That's great! What a conversation piece. Interesting signature.

Nice, illustrative artistry. :thumb:

Your grand kids are going to wonder about that one! :D

Great picture! Nice representations.

What is the artist's interpretation of the dinosaurs?

That's easy. They've motor-sailed into the bay near Jurassic Park, along with a sail training tall ship. No biggie....

Greetings,
Not difficult to interpret. The artist is a creationist and is simply chronicling the first 6000 years of earth's history.

That's easy. They've motor-sailed into the bay near Jurassic Park, along with a sail training tall ship. No biggie....
Peter, as you said in another thread about shackles, these US folks overthink everything. The dinosaurs are the artists view of our (Mark's) generation.

Last edited:
Wow. That is pretty good. :thumb:

The Coot, sailing ship and the Coot's owners works for me. The sailing ship appears to be a pirate ship, looks to be flying a skull and crossed bones black flag, and someone on the Coot has climbed the mask to look at the ship. Who is that I wonder? :)

The heads look like the sculptures on Easter Island and I think it fits as well. The dinosaurs, well that I don't get. :rofl::rofl::rofl: But the Dinos do work somehow. One of the Easter Island head seems to be smoking and looking at the viewer. Is that Easter Island head Oscar? :)

The images to the upper right look like connected flying tree tops with a lizard flying on a dragon. I don't get that either but I like the looks of it. :thumb::D:D:D

Oscar Anonymous did pretty good. Looks much better than some Picasso.

Is this going to get framed and put on the Coot?

Later,
Dan

Wow....

Is this going to get framed and put on the Coot?

When finished, we plan to frame it and hang it above the fireplace at home.

Expecting the painting will have more details and playful weirdness.

My first post is confusing. To clarify: the artist is an inmate and Perla is the interpreter.

Last edited:
Was that perspective of the Coot from one of the pics I took when we met on Suisun Bay years ago?

The painting in my avatar was painted by a friend from a shot Ray took of my boat shortly after sunrise one morning on Mildred Island. I was sound asleep for a period long after that!

Not nearly as interesting as your multi-layered mosaic.

Here is the photo the artist used to paint Perla and me. Photo taken in a busy/popular Italian restaurant operated by Chinese in Milan, Italy.

That's a very nice and creative painting. I especially like that the rendering of the people, which is well done.

Wifey B: I love your obvious love of your boat. It's so very clear you found the absolutely, positively, unquestionably, conclusively, decidedly, categorically perfect boat for you. It's just so cool seeing it as you show often. You have your dream boat. Dream boat, dream wife, sounds like a darn good dream all around. :D

Wifey B: I love your obvious love of your boat. It's so very clear you found the absolutely, positively, unquestionably, conclusively, decidedly, categorically perfect boat for you. It's just so cool seeing it as you show often. You have your dream boat. Dream boat, dream wife, sounds like a darn good dream all around. :D

I could't have put it better myself. I can't imagine just how neat it must feel to be so satisfied with boat, wife and life. I have heaps of negatives happening now, and for the foreseeable future, but goodonya Mark. :lol:

Mark and Perla = THE Poster Kids... for happy mid sized pleasure boating!

TF Icons - No Doubt!!

Here is the photo the artist used to paint Perla and me. Photo taken in a busy/popular Italian restaurant operated by Chinese in Milan, Italy.

We went to Doumen to have dinner in Venice. :lol::lol::lol:

I think Mark will get the reference. :D

Doumen is a place in China we visited. One of the restaurants we ate at was named Venice and served Italian, "American", Japanese, and Chinese dishes if I remember the menu correctly. Our joke was that we had traveled all of the way to China to eat Italian. :facepalm::eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:

The food was good though. :thumb: I had Chinese dishes in an Italian restaurant in China. :) Pretty sure I had pickled chicken feet at the place but chicken feet is a world wide food.

Later,
Dan

Yes, life can be sweet. :)

Regarding Venice (Italy), we spent several days there, finding affordable overnight accommodations at a nunnery near Il Redentore (a domed church) in the Dorsoduro district. It is much quieter nor filled with crowds than Piazzzo San Marco. Also, there was some good restaurants in the district. We ate Italian food. The inexpensive, small wine bars with their snacks were fun places for lunch.

Back
Top Bottom