Paint or Vinyl name on transom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We opted to go with SS letters!

Attachments

• IMG_6755.JPG
    IMG_6755.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Unless carefully clear-coated silver leaf will tarnish. Genuine 23k gold leaf will look good for years if applied properly. Lots of info available online but it can be frustrating to work with for the novice. Are you certain that what you have is genuine gold leaf? There are some excellent faux gold leaf products that are fine for interior applications but they won't stand up very long in a saltwater and sunshine environment.

Sounds like a great challenge, I think it would be very nice. I'm a Jewelery designer and Gemologist, I took the gold and silver on trade.
10 years is plenty for us IMG_0799.JPG

View attachment 63275

Here is a carved mahogany board mounted on stand-off spacers on the transom. I wanted gold leaf but at the time gold was very expensive so I chose paint. Still looks pretty good although it may require its first re-varnish after this summer.

Very Nice!

My dad hand carved and then gold painted his boat's names onto mahogany boards with coats of Valspar varnish overlay. "Spitfire I" through "Spitfire IV." First one in early 50's was an OB with small cabin. The last [mid 60's through end of 70's was raised deck sport fisher [keel laid 1951]. He and I reconditioned that beauty form previous neglectful owner. All his boats were wood. The last boat was a one-off 38' masterpiece design from builder of pilot boats in Brooklyn Navy Yard. A lot of varnish on that pretty baby. The name "Spitfire" comes from planes he flew as photo recon pilot for the RACF in WWII... before U.S. entered the war.

Last edited:
Not sure the stainless letters meets the USCG rule of contrasting colors if the boat is documented.

At least under the conditions they are reflecting a white enough background to blend in.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom