Old 12-23-2018, 07:45 AM   #1
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Paint suggestions.

Well guys, I'm going to start painting the Rose next week. It's white on white and the po used Awegrip on the hull 20 years ago and it holds up well. We are going to paint the rest of the boat (-) the hull for now. May wet sand the hull later when it on the yard or I might repaint the hull if it doesn't come back. Here are a few pictures and I just want a paint that will hold up well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0604.jpg  
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:03 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Awlcraft 2000
See The Hull Paint link for more info
http://dkloeber.wixsite.com/bacchus/links
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
I’m also a fan of Awlcraft 2000. It’s an acrylic 2 part so it’s fast drying. You really can’t roll and tip so you have to spray. Touch up is easy. We use a Preval sprayer. You can blend in the new to the old and if you get a run or overspray, both can easily be wet sanded out. The paint is very similar to an automotive paint with the color all the way through. It’s not as hard as Awlgrip though.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
We used Interlux one part poly on the cabin sides.We rolled and tipped and it came out ok. It was the best I thought we could use while in the covered slip and manage on our own. If I was paying someone I would use something better and spray it .
Old 12-23-2018, 09:37 AM   #5
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
I used Interlux Perfection on the raised diamond pattern deck non-skid. Applied with a brush because I was concerned that a sprayer would fill in the depressions between the diamonds. Two part paint, very hard, able to touch up. Thinned it about 15%. I like the stuff a lot. Pretty stinky for about an hour after application.

This coming summer I'm going to repaint the black trim around windows. I'll be using a recently acquired HVLP turbine sprayer. Portable, compact, low over spray, very good atomization and spray patterns. Noise level is about the same as a home vacuum cleaner. I'll be plugging it in to an outlet inside the boat and running the 1" hose out through a hatch or window. About $700 for a model that's capable of good atomization. Worth it for a large job.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:39 AM   #6
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. s. I don't recall seeing such a sweeping side picture of the Rose. THAT'S a nice boat!
Old 12-23-2018, 08:09 PM   #7
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Thanks RT! I’ll check into awecraft
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:51 PM   #8
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
The two part polyurethanes are more UV resistant than the acrylics.
If you’re going to spray it I suggest you stick to Awlgrip.
If you are going to brush or roll I’d go with Interlux Perfection.
Port Townsend Watercraft has developed a technique that allows you to just roll it on without tipping and the roller marks flow out leaving a beautiful gloss. You can download a pdf of the instructions for less than $5.00.
?...By the way Rolling Perfection took me from very erratic results rolling and tipping to a star painter with gloss so shiny you use it to shave with. *Thanks...? D.P. ?rocketkayak?
Old 12-24-2018, 04:26 AM   #9
Guru

City: Sydney
No matter what you decide on these Flood products are used by many professionals well worth a look The Flood Company Australia » Paint Additives » introduction
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:52 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
...If you are going to brush or roll I’d go with Interlux Perfection.
Port Townsend Watercraft has developed a technique that allows you to just roll it on without tipping and the roller marks flow out leaving a beautiful gloss. You can download a pdf of the instructions for less than $5.00.
?...By the way Rolling Perfection took me from very erratic results rolling and tipping to a star painter with gloss so shiny you use it to shave with. *Thanks...? D.P. ?rocketkayak?
Thanks. I’ll look at Interlux Perfection. I need to refinish/paint several areas on Hobo’s upper areas. Being in a marina, they frown on spraying in the slip. And the link, for $3.50 for the digital version that’s a definite. If I can get away from spraying that would be great.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:09 PM   #11
Guru

City: Montgomery
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
Do all your prep and taping in the slip. Then get a small compressor or roller, and anchor somewhere with no wind and shoot it. Boat that big it will take a day for one coat no matter how you do it. You won't bother anyone, and they won't bother you.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:47 PM   #12
Guru

That's my plan for painting the trim on our boat. The HVLP turbine system makes it a snap. Suitcase size, quiet, low overspray (minimizes masking). Perfect for boat work. I'm currently painting my old resto-mod pickup using a five stage turbine setup. Impressive in its simplicity and the quality of the paint lay down. If it wasn't for the smell during cure of urethane concoctions, I'm sure I would be allowed to paint inside our winter storage building. So, I'll drop the hook and shoot the trim areas on the lower sides of the hull from the dink.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:53 AM   #13
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: bout’ time
Vessel Model: Grady White 282 Sailfish
Hop, excellent post and link....thanks!

Quote:
Old 12-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #14
Guru

City: Friday Harbor, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
Quote:
Thanks for the tip, purchased, downloaded and read it cover to cover.
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Plantation, Fl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
Well guys, I'm going to start painting the Rose next week. It's white on white and the po used Awegrip on the hull 20 years ago and it holds up well. We are going to paint the rest of the boat (-) the hull for now. May wet sand the hull later when it on the yard or I might repaint the hull if it doesn't come back. Here are a few pictures and I just want a paint that will hold up well.
Sounds strange but you might want to try Rustoleum Marine Topside paint. I repainted my Boston Whaler 5 years ago and it still looks good. I live in South Florida and when the boat isnt being used in the Florida sun, its sitting on a trailer in the sun.

5 years later and it still holds its finish. I started painting the trim and doors of my house with it as well. It flows out to a mirror finish and can be rolled, brushed or sprayed.

The best part is that its a helluva lot less expensive than anything else and available at the big box home improvement stores.

The downside is that you get your choice of color as long as its white.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Green Cove springs
I've painted over 2 dozen boats (paid). The whole job depends on PREP regardless of paint. So if you shot change paint quality that's the job you get. Painting from a dink, meh. Spraying urethanes without a FORCED AIR RESPIRATOR IS FOOLISH TO THE MAX. That sh*t will KILL you.
I roll and tip AWLGRIP, the paint t is expensive but a 40' sundeck marine grade took a quart per coat, 2 coats. So really not that bad.
Best of luck
Southx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:11 PM   #17
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
Why would you not use Awlgrip again?
It’s lasted 20 years, I’d say it’s paid you for a quality paint job.
Awlgrip will roll/tip nicely, no need to spray, and though it seems costly, coverage is phenomenal, and you’ll use way less than you’d think.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:50 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southx10 View Post
Spraying urethanes without a FORCED AIR RESPIRATOR IS FOOLISH TO THE MAX. That sh*t will KILL you.
If you're thinking about the cloud of mist/vapor associated with conventional spray guns I'd agree with you. However, HVLP turbine spray systems produce virtually no overspray/mist/cloud. Eastwood sells a throw away, isocyanate rated mask for peanuts. Full plasticized painters suit is about $10 at Home Depot. Perfect paint jobs fast, easy, and safe.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:09 PM   #19
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
An all-white boat isn't very visible in fog. A combination of dark paint, white, and something bright like yellow, increases the possibility that others will notice you.
Attached Thumbnails
leaving marina.jpg  
Old 12-31-2018, 09:33 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Green Cove springs
The only respirator US Paint (awlgrip) will recommend or certify is forced air. But they probably don't really know what they're talking about. It's your lungs and life.
Southx10 is offline   Reply With Quote