City: Green Cove springs
Is that a wooden boat?

Southx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:06 AM   #22

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southx10 View Post
The only respirator US Paint (awlgrip) will recommend or certify is forced air. But they probably don't really know what they're talking about. It's your lungs and life.
The following is from Awlgrip's web site. The objective is to keep vapors and mist off body surfaces and out of the lungs. There is more than one way to do that. Awlgrip does not certify respirators. The one I am using is NIOSH approved for isocynates. I wear a hooded painters suit and a face shield.

"Do not get in eyes, on skin or on clothing. Use solvent resistant safety eyewear with splash guards. Solvent impermeable gloves, clothing and boots should be worn to prevent skin contact. When applying an Awlgrip, Awlcraft 2000, Awlcraft SE or any other isocyanate containing product, a respirator that is approved for use with such products must be used. A positive pressure air supplied respirator (TC19C NIOSH/MSHA approved) is recommended.

Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:24 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Green Cove springs
I can't even imagine wearing all of that in 90 degree temps. I prefer roll and tip, just easier to me and less dangerous.
Southx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:00 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
I can't even imagine wearing all of that in 90 degree temps. I prefer roll and tip, just easier to me and less dangerous.
And it avoids all that masking prep that spraying requires.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:19 PM   #25

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
Quote:
If you follow Awlgrip's advice, you better be wearing a non-absorbant painter's coverall and a face/eye shield (everything except the respirator) to deflect splatters/spills...even if you roll and tip. Your exposure is not much different than when using a low overspray turbine system. You prefer roll and tip because that's what you know and it's cheap. You've also probably seen photos of spray operations in booths using high pressure paint guns...nasty clouds of vapor and obviously dangerous. You might want to read up on high performance HVLP turbines. I don't paint...spray (HVLP only), roll or brush...when it's 90 degrees with bugs flying around and too hot to wear proper protective devices. Your concern with isocyanates is well placed, but it seems you don't follow your own (and Awlgrip's) advice. That stuff can kill you....
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:19 AM   #26

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths (is for SALE)
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
I had our boat painted last spring. They tip/rolled (really, mainly rolled) Awlgrip and it came out very nice. They did it outside in a working yard. 90% of the job was prep. They mixed 8-12oz at a time.
With the 20yrs you got out of your current Awlgrip, I am not sure why you would not use it again.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:52 AM   #27
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
The manufacturer has considerable liability, so he must overstate safety in order t cover his ass.
Working outdoors, or with good ventilation, you’ll likely get away with less than prescribed, however do be cautious.
That said, I recently lost a buddy who was the local Awlgrip pro, not fond of using much in the way of PPE, he didn’t see 50...
Old 02-06-2019, 10:22 AM   #28
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Well my painter got busted for a felony, looks like Iíll be finishing the paint job my self, I definitely want to roll and tip, Iím going to stick with awegrip and luckily he did all the over head sanding before he got arrested
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:48 AM   #29
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Those pesky LE officers wonít let anything go will they?
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:17 AM   #30
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
A rough way to learn how to roll and tip but youíll be a pro when youíre done.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:34 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
There are some pretty good videos on roll and tip. It’s best if you can have two people. We did ok at it and better at the end. We used the best foam brushes we could buy and chunked them the first sign of them feeling funky.
We were using interlux single part and probably easier to apply. The faster we moved the better and not wasting much time mistakes , just keep moving along.
Good luck with it. And one more thing make sure you have something to drink and play some good music.