Old 04-08-2018, 08:40 PM   #1
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Paint/dinghy question

Guys,

I have a unique question. I just bought a fully composite dinghy (white color, 7.5' LOA , 50lbs). It'll be mounted on my swim platform on Weaver davits on it's side (so it'll be blocking my boat name/port on the transom ). My boat is USCG documented so I'll need to display the boat name on the side......Or do I???

I got the idea to paint my boat's name/port on the bottom of my dinghy. Whattya think??? Yay or nay? I'd say that 95% of my dinghy's life will be spent high/dry and out of the salt water. So I'm not gonna be painting the bottom (anti fouling).

What type of paint would I use? Would simple stencil letters work? Do they make different stencil fonts? Could I use vinyl graphics? That would be nice but the bottom of my dinghy is not flat....there are actually "strakes" and a "keel"!

Here's my new dinghy.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Doubt your dinghy qualifies for USCG documentation, usually requiring a boat at least 24-foot length to contain sufficient volume. You will likely need to obtain state documentation with those ugly numbers and tags displayed, unlike those pictured dinghys.

As far as paint goes, suggest it be consistent with your home-boat's color.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:51 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Doubt your dinghy qualifies for USCG documentation, usually requiring a boat at least 24-foot length to contain sufficient volume. You will likely need to obtain state documentation with those ugly numbers and tags displayed, unlike those pictured dinghys.

As far as paint goes, suggest it be consistent with your home-boat's color.

What?? No, I mean the dinghy will completely block the name of my boat. So I have to decide if I wanna add the name to the side of my boat or onto the bottom of the dinghy.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:56 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
Guys,

I have a unique question. I just bought a fully composite dinghy (white color, 7.5' LOA , 50lbs). It'll be mounted on my swim platform on Weaver davits on it's side (so it'll be blocking my boat name/port on the transom ). My boat is USCG documented so I'll need to display the boat name on the side......Or do I???

I got the idea to paint my boat's name/port on the bottom of my dinghy. Whattya think??? Yay or nay? I'd say that 95% of my dinghy's life will be spent high/dry and out of the salt water. So I'm not gonna be painting the bottom (anti fouling).

What type of paint would I use? Would simple stencil letters work? Do they make different stencil fonts? Could I use vinyl graphics? That would be nice but the bottom of my dinghy is not flat....there are actually "strakes" and a "keel"!

Since you are documented your boat name and hailing port have to be displayed on your boats transom. Odd as it may seem, there is no requirement to have the name and hailing port on the bottom of the dinghy, even if it always covers up the transom of your boat.

I have the same situation and have considered trying to put the name of our boat and hailing port on the bottom of my dinghies. So I am interested in seeing the replies. Both my RIB and my rowing dinghy have bottoms that I don’t think will be conducive to vinyl graphics.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:02 PM   #5

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
My late father-in-law's boat had a dink that lived on the transom, too. Since it blocked anyone's view of the name, he had it in vinyl on the dinghy's bottom. The vinyl letters are easily applied to the contours of the tender's hull. He had the same letters on there for decades...no worries.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:10 AM   #6
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre602 View Post
My late father-in-law's boat had a dink that lived on the transom, too. Since it blocked anyone's view of the name, he had it in vinyl on the dinghy's bottom. The vinyl letters are easily applied to the contours of the tender's hull. He had the same letters on there for decades...no worries.

Good info. Thanks.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:32 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
To open a can of worms, the regs say that the name and hailing port must be marked together on some cleraly visible part of the exterior of the vessel. Covering the name and hailing port with the dinghy may preclude the clearly visible part of the regulation. Marking the bottom of the dinghy is not an exterior portion of the vessel. Now are you going to get cited, probably not.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:00 AM   #8
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
On the Great Loop Association website a lengthy discussion and posting of USCG documents went on just recently.

A second display of name and hailing pirt is not required as long as it is on the transom, or sides of the vessel in the proper size. Doing it only on the dingy doesmt count, but isnt prohibited.

Whether you place a second , clearly viewable name not on the transom, but have the proper, required markings on the trannsom but covered up, it is considered a "law enforcement issue".

Which I interpret as....it is up to the LEO that stops you if the "clearly" requirement really mattered.

I agree that it really isnt a problem....Many do it that way, have been boarded yet no one knows of any violations issued. At least on recreational vessels.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:51 AM   #9
Guru

Hmm, interesting points. Are there any LEO's on this site who could chime in??

Old 04-09-2018, 06:59 AM   #10
Guru

When we cruised in Canada we chose to display our name on a banner as shown.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8262.jpg  
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:08 AM   #11
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
Hmm, interesting points. Are there any LEO's on this site who could chime in??
Heck, I was often the USCG helo pilot complaining we couldnt read a name on a boat....

But because some were faded, damaged, unrecognizable fonts, covered up, etc, etc....

I would never have actually violated a pleasure boater for it.

Joked around about it with lots of LEOs when we were stopping boaters for being stupid but maybe hard to prosecute.... often the state registration numbers would not be perfect, an easy thing to document. But we never did it.... just too unprofessional.

It would be the rare LEO or circumstance I think for getting a violation. Especially if the secondary marking is a serious attempt to allow normal identification of the vessel from.a distance.

Waterborne LEOs really dont write up many violations...not a slam, just an observation and I bet for good reasons...any weekend on the water shows us that.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:24 AM   #12
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
When I researched, this was the legal way to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
1502D420-309B-4D92-A1E6-E62E2E2E011C.jpg   13A2FF88-A9E6-4491-A196-557787934489.jpg  
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:35 AM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre602 View Post
That’s a good idea.

Whether it’s required or not, it sure is nice when your over taking a vessel and can call them on the radio.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:44 AM   #14

City: Watch Hill RI
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Years ago, I painted boat name and hailing port on bottom of dinghy. Black bottom paint is Pettit's Hydrocoat (same as boat), and names hand-painted with Trilux 33. With dinghy always in water and only hoisted on transom underway, paint held up just fine. Became too much of a PIA to keep painting, so I stopped. Tug is documented, but never had an issue with obscured name/hailing port. Boat is also RI registered, showing current sticker (no numbers) on bow, and boat name is visible within green accent strip at the bow, so I'm still legal.
Attached Thumbnails
dinghy_davit-001.jpg  
Puffin_NT32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:02 AM   #15
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I store my dinghy on the transom with Weaver davits just like the OP proposes doing. I put the boat name in vinyl letters on the bottom of the dinghy so it is visible from the back. You can see it on my avatar to the left. I was stopped last year by the USCG for a safety inspection. No problem.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:09 AM   #16
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
The dinghy is made of a “Polymer Material”. Not knowing if paint sticks to polymer material, i’d use vinyl lettering. I think putting the name on the dinghy bottom is a good idea. The LEOs will appreciate it. Whatever you do is going to get scratched up over time.

I didn’t normally carry a dinghy on poor old Possum but when I did it blocked the name. Nobody ever said anything about it.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:42 AM   #17

City: Daytona Beach
Hola, just had a thought to share. RustOleum makes a spray paint designed to use on various plastics or polymers which are normally resistant to conventional enamels, like trash cans, which might work for you.
Froggy_130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:07 PM   #18
Guru

UPDATE: I decided on vinyl graphics for the boat name/port on the dinghy. The shop that made them used a beefier MM material to help with abrasion resistance. Not worried about it though (although the keel actually should actually prevent the graphics from getting scratched up) it's only a dinghy after all! Lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180518_071601 (1).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	76441

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180518_071542 (1).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	76442

Old 05-19-2018, 01:41 AM   #19

City: Yelm, WA
Vessel Name: "Convergence"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
oh man...I wish you the best with that 7 1/2' dink. I inherited the same size Sorenson and after one weekend, I was ready to burn it to the waterline. Took on waaay more water than I was comfortable with. Of course it might help if me and the dogs each lost a few pounds....maybe more than a few.

toni
ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjstr View Post
oh man...I wish you the best with that 7 1/2' dink. I inherited the same size Sorenson and after one weekend, I was ready to burn it to the waterline. Took on waaay more water than I was comfortable with. Of course it might help if me and the dogs each lost a few pounds....maybe more than a few.

toni
Toni,

I wanted to get an even smaller dink but couldn't find one!! Lol. I also considered buying an inflatable and then deflating it when not in use but I decided against that.

I'm 6', 185lbs. No dogs.....