Old 03-30-2014, 12:09 AM   #1
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Number cruching time

As some of you may know i'm rebuilding a Biloxi Lugger....I would like to question the brain trust and try to get a very "loose" estimate on what it should cost to finish my boat. I will start with what I have and end with what I need. This boat will be a family fishing boat with the intention to be on the water this summer. All the work (except for the electrical) will be done by me. I am a carpenter, with a minor in plumbing and everything else. I've completed whats below and will need the rest. Fire away.......
Items already finished::::::
1. New fuel tanks
2. Both gensets run fine and make power, They are wired ABYC to be connected to the panel.
3. Both mains run fine, the port engine needs head work (Price est. $2k), the batteries are wired correctly with charger and are waiting to be connected to the dc panel.
4. Cabin roof all rain proof.
5. Windless works, chain and anchor all present.
6. AC/Heat working fine.
7. Steering doing good.
8. All upholstery is new
9. All helm electronics are in good enough condition to make work.

Items needed to finish:
1. All windows need to be sanded and reglazed. 30+
2. All plumbing for sinks, heads (including holding tank) and showers.
3. Ice maker/fridge
4. Galley
5. Ac/dc panels
6. All ac wiring in cabin
7. All woodwork (I'm a contractor so I will be building this my self)
8. Shore power needs to be redone to the panel.

I know this is a shot in the dark but I've got some offers to consider on the center console. Thanks Paul
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:51 AM   #2
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
As some of you may know i'm rebuilding a Biloxi Lugger....I would like to question the brain trust and try to get a very "loose" estimate on what it should cost to finish my boat. I will start with what I have and end with what I need. This boat will be a family fishing boat with the intention to be on the water this summer. All the work (except for the electrical) will be done by me. I am a carpenter, with a minor in plumbing and everything else. I've completed whats below and will need the rest. Fire away.......
Items already finished::::::
1. New fuel tanks
2. Both gensets run fine and make power, They are wired ABYC to be connected to the panel.
3. Both mains run fine, the port engine needs head work (Price est. $2k), the batteries are wired correctly with charger and are waiting to be connected to the dc panel.
4. Cabin roof all rain proof.
5. Windless works, chain and anchor all present.
6. AC/Heat working fine.
7. Steering doing good.
8. All upholstery is new
9. All helm electronics are in good enough condition to make work.

Items needed to finish:
1. All windows need to be sanded and reglazed. 30+
2. All plumbing for sinks, heads (including holding tank) and showers.
3. Ice maker/fridge
4. Galley
5. Ac/dc panels
6. All ac wiring in cabin
7. All woodwork (I'm a contractor so I will be building this my self)
8. Shore power needs to be redone to the panel.

I know this is a shot in the dark but I've got some offers to consider on the center console. Thanks Paul
HS - Paul - You sure have done a lot! Congrats, and happy cruising!!

I must ask for a bit more detailed info under "Items needed to finish": In order to place costs on Numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8... for your request of "very loose estimate on what it should cost to finish my boat."

Equipment costs on 2, 3, 4, 5 can vary widely. Used can be very affordable; new can skyrocket into many, many thousand$$$$. Top brand names can add even more thousand$$$$

Happy Boating Daze - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:40 AM   #3
Guru

Well here are my thoughts on the cost:
1. I did one window and it cost $15.00 for local wood shop to sand on huge belt sander and I think about $50 for the glass. Laminated double pane glass. Total without finish (stain, varnish) about $2,000
2. No clue. Two heads, one shower (I plan on building a shower) pumps, hoses, holding tank....
3. Ice maker will be hopefully a 500 to 700# attached to the roof, stainless ice chute to ice box on the deck. $2,000
4. I would love to get some custom cabinets made with granite tops and undermount sinks, dishwasher, gas stove, nice gas/electric fridge. I will save this project till last because I sure don't want a floating apartment. I will go used equipment on these items so hopefully be around 5k.
5. Ac/Dc panels will most likely be blue sea and installed by my electrician. ???4k perhaps
6. All the ac/dc wiring in cabin and bilge, Cost will be wire and my labor is free. The electrician said he would work with me during this phase so everything will be done correctly but said I could basically pull my own wire with him checking on it time to time. maybe about 4K
7. I don't mind sleeping on a 2x4 bunk so I am going to say on the low end about 3k
8. 500$
Total so far about 21k.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
500#/day icemaker- Wow- you could travel around selling ice to other boats!!! That could work!!!

I'd suggest figuring out early the quality level you want on the interior cabinetry. Low end is "clean charterboat", with painted woodwork, formica countertops, some varnished trim, functional hatches and fittings, etc. On the high end is "yacht finish", with all the varnish, fluff, expensive fittings, expensive countertops, etc. I'm a fan of "clean charterboat". Having some yacht like stuff on an ex-commercial boat seems a bit out of place, and expensive to boot.

Deciding the quality level early helps keep it consistent through the project.

Don't let perfection keep you from using the boat. You can get it in good running shape, and take breaks in travels to do the next projects.

And that boat is big enough that many projects can be done while traveling!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:19 PM   #5
Guru

Ok, I've got a sale on my little boat, should get the cash this week. Any input would be great. I'm thinking of doing #2 Plumbing and #5 first that way I can be on the lookout for some used items. Does anyone know of some large yards that have lots of used items. I would be willing to travel to find a deal.
1. Holding tank
2. two toilets
3. Pumps and hoses
4. Ac/Dc panels
Thanks guys, progress should start happening soon.
Swamp
Old 03-31-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
Technical Guru

I bought my holding tank from my local marine supply house, I think it is Moeller polyethylene. Not too expensive and there are lots of sizes available.

Heads: I bought a simple Jabsco manual pump type head. Only like $150 bucks and works like a champ. Lots of folks like the vacu flush and other electric systems, but I like simple.

AC/DC panels- I bought rather pricey Blue Seas panels, but I think it was worth it. Panels are right at helm so can manage them without leaving wheel. You can make your own with breakers, etc, but by the time you buy all the stuff and wire it up, the factory made panels might not be that much of a premium.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:40 PM   #7
Guru

Thanks Ski, great info.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:26 PM   #8
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Keep a close eye on Ebay for parts. I bought a lot of new stuff when we were refitting the sailboat at around 50% off, including a new BlueSeas panel. You can save searches so you get an email whenever new items are listed. another source we've used is greatlakesskipper.com. They carry lots of closeout items. Many times it may have a boat manufacturer name on it, but is the same product you can buy direct from the device manufacturer for much more. Another good source may be sailor sam's in Ft Lauderdale. I don't think they post inventory online like greatlakes, but you could call to inquire if you are after a specific item. If you are ever in the area, it is a great store to explore. Also watch Craigslist.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #9
Guru

Here are my loads so far for the panels. Any input would be great. More or less on the loads:::Inv(is for the loads that will operate from the inverter)
AC Loads:
220-Ice Maker 500#
220-Hvac 60 amp
220-Water heater with heat exchager
220-Stove/oven
Charger and Bilge fan can share a 110v pole per
Add one leg for the 110v panel

110/Inv-Cold Plate for ice box in stern of boat
110/Inv-Bilge lights
110/Inv-Cabin lights
110/Inv-TV/Stereo
110/Inv-110v outlets
110/Inv-Fridge 110v
110/Inv-Spot light

DC Loads: 12v
-Courtesy lights (led strip inside and outside under handrail)
-Bilge pump main
-Bilge (sump)
-Dingy davit x2
-Radar
-Helm (gps, autopilot, nav. lights, anchor light, led map lights ((red/green/white)), stereo (pilot house only), gauge lights, vhf)
-Horn (12v or 110v I don't know)
-2 toilets
-Fresh water house pump
-Fresh water washdown pump
-Led spreader light stern (One triple light center, two single lights one port and starboard)

DC Loads: 24v
Windless
Old 04-01-2014, 09:34 PM   #10
Technical Guru

Just thinkin' aloud: Maybe one panel with all the big 220 and other non inv loads. Icemaker and water heater can probably be spec'd in 220. That panel have a switch for shore-off-gen. A 110 panel with all the inv loads on it, shore goes through inv so switch would be shore/inv-off-gen. With two gens (right??) another switch gen1-gen2, with the output from that switch going to the two panels gen feed.

Have not thought it through all the way, just thinking.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:42 PM   #11
Guru

Ski I like it!, I've edited the previous post. Great idea..
Edit: That is some great out of the box thinking. I never would have thought of that. Thank you so much....Paul
Old 04-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #12
Guru

Ice maker is home. 220v, 1400#, watercooled, 1875 gallons per 24 hours or run time. Anyone care to guess how much water (tankage) it will take to make recirculating system so I don't dump all my fresh water in a few hours?