Old 03-19-2018, 11:10 PM   #1

City: Green Country
Add USS Juneau to the "found" list

https://www.redstate.com/streiff/201...rothers-found/

The final resting place of the 5 Sullivan brothers from Waterloo IA in addition to 682 others; 10 survived.
MRRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:36 AM   #2

City: PNW/Seattle-ish
Vessel Name: M/V Peter Iredale ;)
Vessel Model: rusting hulk
Ugh - that should be one very nasty looking wreck. I recall reading about it in Samuel Eliot Morison's Guadalcanal entry in the lengthy history of the navy in WWII. The detonation was instantly catastrophic and the ship disappeared in a blur, IIRC from eyewitness accounts. That is one wreck/grave site I for one would rather not see.

On the other hand, documenting these has a new importance from what I understand. A number of WWII wrecks have been looted and pilfered by Chinese salvage companies to get radiation-free steel for medical and other technical uses. I've heard a large number of wrecks and grave sites have simply disappeared in the last 10 to 15 years. Getting these tagged and monitored is a very worthy goal.
Civilitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:18 AM   #3
Guru

City: Boston Area
Its a shame they didn't just scuttle them without destroying them.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:06 AM   #4
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
? Scuttle what?

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:19 AM   #5
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Glad they are finding these ships. I hope they start looking for the US submarines on "Eternal Patrol" that were never found.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
Scuttling wasn't really an option.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guadalcanal_Campaign
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_...of_Guadalcanal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Juneau_(CL-52)
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:56 PM   #7
Guru

City: Boston Area
yeah...I had a brain lapse there. I followed the link that was posted...then clicked on another...and another.....and forgot what sub we were talking about.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:25 PM   #8
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
I hope they keep quiet about the location. Sure they are down 4000m, but will that be deep enough? So far several Dutch warships from the Battle of the Java Sea have been desecrated and salvaged for their pre-atomic steel by pirates.Who knew that even was a thing?

Evidently steel made before the Trinity test in 1944 is in huge demand to make hyper sensitive radiation detection and analysis equipment and the thick armor plating on old warships is a good place to find it.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:41 PM   #9
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Glad they are finding these ships. I hope they start looking for the US submarines on "Eternal Patrol" that were never found.
High Wire, I ask this as a submarine sailor,..... What benefit can be achieved, other than locating our lost submarines. There will not be any remains to recover and in my mind, it would be disturbing a grave. Sure do a 'fly by' if you insist, look for external damage but please, leave it undisturbed.

If I had gone down on a submarine, I would rather remain undisturbed.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:02 AM   #10
Guru

City: Anacortes
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
High Wire, I ask this as a submarine sailor,..... What benefit can be achieved, other than locating our lost submarines. There will not be any remains to recover and in my mind, it would be disturbing a grave. Sure do a 'fly by' if you insist, look for external damage but please, leave it undisturbed.

If I had gone down on a submarine, I would rather remain undisturbed.

As one who has visited wrecks with lost souls, I’m in agreement. It’s a grave. Treat it as such, with a high degree of respect and undisturbed. We visit graves, but don’t dig them. No reason to treat a wreck any different. I prefer leaving artifacts as well. Once upon a time we tried to document with video alone. Then one of our own founders got bitten with the artifact bug and Inexplicably secreted a bunch of china. We found out and made sure the China found its way back. It’s a big problem. When there is perceived treasure on these sites, just very hard to manage, even when you think you know someone.

I will say, I’ve visited wrecks that I did not know the fate of the passengers and hit the surface telling others that it was a grave and later proven correct. I don’t know how, but it’s an obvious thing. Respect it as such as the souls left behind certainly earned the right in every meaningful way.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:32 AM   #11
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
About 10 miles north of Sydney, off Long Reef Beach, lies the wreck of a Japanese mini submarine. It sank with 2 crew on board after attacking Sydney during WW2.
The wreck is gazetted as a war grave,and has a beacon over it to alert authorities to any intrusion. I recognize that at a practical level intrusion could still occur, but hope it does not.This is how it should be, I hope the Juneau will be similarly respected despite being so much further offshore.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote