Old 10-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #21
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
I don't know why a PNW boat has to look like a tugboat and go slow. I think what makes a boat good for the PNW is a decent heating system and anchoring system. Also the ability to get out of the rain and cold while still enjoying the scenery is a must.

The boat listed below is a heck of a deal in my opinion. This boat is just across from my boat at the Port Orchard Yacht Club and has been under cover its whole life. I know the guy trying to sell it and because of his wife, seldoms uses it anymore. I've been on it and it is pristine for its age. I don't know why it has not been sold by now except it may be who it is listed with.

I have absolutely no connection with this boat or the man trying to sell it but I think it is a lot of boat for the money. If you have any interest I would be glad to help off line. I'll put you in touch with a decent broker.

Ron

Robert Heay's Port Orchard Yacht Sales, Inc (Port Orchard, WA)

windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Popcorn please! Oh add a beer to that too. This is more fun than seeing a Sea Ray and Bayliner owners go after each other! Opps

Which ever boat you choose, it will have it good things and bad. Most of all have fun and explore.......
too funny!

Its not a popcorn thing. Its a guy that posted basically that the Nordic Tug was the only boat to have in rainy weather.

Like all the rest of the non tugboat brands fall short somehow?

You know, it rains over twice as much in my part of Alaska than it does in the greater Seattle area. And it actually rains in the summer too!

I like Nordics, I like all three or four of them or so in our harbor. Great Boats. The rest of the several hundred boats are Uniflites, Tollycraft, Carver, many TT's, and Yes Bayliners.

Sorry, but it just twists me when people make blanket statements. Cant go out in the rain, cant go out in all but millpond conditions, cant coastal cruise.

Geez, how about we justify our boat purchase because we like our boats, instead of cutting down everybody elses boat decision.

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #23
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Well, just in case keep some old towels on board as you WILL have leaks from the rain no mater what brand you have, or as in Kevin's world a good plastic shovel and snow blower!
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Best PNW boat might be a Downeast boat

Spacious cockpit for fishing or entertaining; flybridge for nice days; inside helm for less nice days; great sea keeping ability; heat; nice interior; a good turn of speed when needed; guest quarters; and GREAT looks. They are being sent/shipped West these days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lust1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	23955   Click image for larger version

Name:	lust2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	23956  
Old 10-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #25
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Well, just in case keep some old towels on board as you WILL have leaks from the rain no mater what brand you have.
Not necessarily. In my travels I find very few leakers due to rain. Those with sliding overheads to the fly bridge seem the worst.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #26
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Adelaide hit it on the head with;

" It's a much more comfortable vessel with our climate and maximizes the opportunity we have on the water...."

That's it .... Boating in wet weather. That's more significant than anything else I've heard. NICE WARM AND DRY CABINS. Cabins to keep the warmth and dry in and windows big enough to let in what light there is in scuddy weather. Thanks Adelaide.

Windmist says " I think what makes a boat good for the PNW is a decent heating system and anchoring system. Also the ability to get out of the rain and cold while still enjoying the scenery is a must." Another real life "been there done that" observation. Folks that are out on the water for the longest times are fishermen and most all have a big oil stove and their boats are toasty warm.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #27
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
Nordic Tug if you aren't doing a lot of friend sleep overs. They offer one of the best re-sale values and they represent a true classic NW Vessel.
I agree with this statement although there are numerous makes & models that would be excellent boats in the PNW. I think my own boat would be fun to have up there but given the OP's original question, I'd opt for a late model 42' NT. What a terrific boat! And with some decent speed too!

https://www.google.com/search?q=42+N...2F%3B557%3B373
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NT 42.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	23961  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #28
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Adelaide hit it on the head with;

" It's a much more comfortable vessel with our climate and maximizes the opportunity we have on the water...."

That's it .... Boating in wet weather. That's more significant than anything else I've heard. NICE WARM AND DRY CABINS. Cabins to keep the warmth and dry in and windows big enough to let in what light there is in scuddy weather. Thanks Adelaide.
Eric, you only quoted part of Adelaide's post, which takes it out of context.

Here is his entire post you referenced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
Bayliners are sun chasers, Nordic Tugs are season extenders. It's a much more comfortable vessel with our climate and maximizes the opportunity we have on the water.... Not to mention, the Nordic Tug was designed around the classic Tug theme specifically for the NW. Here is a little history of the Nordic Tug:
Are you or anybody else saying that Nordic Tugs are more comfortable in wet weather than Bayliner boats? Because that was what he posted.

Or are you partially quoting him to agree with the concept in general that boats with "nice warm and dry cabins" make good PACNW cruisers.

I did not disagree with the last part of his post, but when taken in context I disagree completely that Nordic tugs are any better than (to be specific regarding his post) Bayliners in wet weather.

Eric, when you praise someone for a great post, we can't just take one sentence and ignore the rest of the post. Its the totality of the message that the poster was trying to get accross that counts.

And if Anybody's wondering I like Nordic Tugs. But, except for the 32' model, I believe they might be out of the OP's price range.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 10-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #29
Guru

[QUOTE=ksanders;186158]

Are you or anybody else saying that Nordic Tugs are more comfortable in wet weather than Bayliner boats? Because that was what he posted.

Eric, when you praise someone for a great post, we cant't just take one sentence and ignore the rest of the post./QUOTE]

Relax, Kevin! Eric didn't throw any stones at Bayliner! He simply agreed with a post that liked NTs!

I happen to think that he and Adelaide are right! Bayliner is a good boat but IMHO, NT is a great boat!

I think I have a good boat too but it's certainly not a great boat.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #30

City: Newport Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Emerald Isle
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 37
Thanks

Wow, this is what I call a forum. I can't believe I got so many great suggestions in one day and I have only been a member for two days. And it looks like I posted in the wrong section.

I have a list of possible boats (naturally) and almost everyone of the boats mentioned were on my list. I especially liked the good anchor and good heat comment as northwest requirements.

To reply to a couple of questions, we actually bought our '37 in Michigan City, Indiana and trucked it out here 10 years ago. On that trip, we had to remove both the radar arch and the flybridge. I have a bid out on trucking it to Tacoma but only if we do not have to remove the flybridge again. Radar arch was OK but the bridge was a complete hassle. The advantage of taking it north is that I know the boat backwards and forward. The disadvantage is I don't have a boat here.

As far as taking the '37 up north on its own bottom, one year I took our GB 42 from San Diego to Princess Louisa in June and back to Newport in September. I would consider north to south along the coast again in a small boat but would never go south to north again in a small boat. Pt. Conception was awful, we ran into a big storm off the Rogue River which knocked out the radar, and the seas were tough all the way. We had a guy with us on the northbound leg who asked to get off in Morro Bay after the Point Conception adventure and I was thinking I should have jumped in the cab with him. Definitely a trip to remember.

Again, thanks for all the help.
desnbca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #31
TF Site Team

[QUOTE=SeaHorse II;186162]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post

Eric, when you praise someone for a great post, we cant't just take one sentence and ignore the rest of the post./QUOTE]

Relax, Kevin! Eric didn't throw any stones at Bayliner! He simply agreed with a post that liked NTs!

I happen to think that he and Adelaide are right! Bayliner is a good boat but IMHO, NT is a great boat!

I think I have a good boat too but it's certainly not a great boat.
Seahorse, I'm not concerned about good Vs Great.

I'm concerned about being comfortable in wet weather, which is what the post was all about.

If someone were to post that Nordic tugs have a higher quality fit and finish than a Bayliner, I'd agree wholeheartedly. If someone were to post that Nordic Tugs look great, I'd agree wholeheartedly.

But when Someone posts that Nordic Tugs are more comfortable in wet weather than a Bayliner, then, well, I want them to quantify it.

Please understand that for my entire boating hobby time, aproaching a decade and a half, people have been making snide and untrue negative comments about the boats I've chosen to own. All that time I have never once made a negative comment about anybody elses boat. Defending Bayliners against people that do not know anything about them has become a somewhat fun pasttime for me.

I'm putting "sunchasers" on my list of Bayliner urban legend faults.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 10-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #32
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
It would appear the OP has this pretty well figured out. What we can all agree on it appears is a dry and warm vessel fits the bill. Oh, and it must be a great boat costing less than $150 K, oops maybe not so great a boat after all.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #33
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
I agree with this statement although there are numerous makes & models that would be excellent boats in the PNW. I think my own boat would be fun to have up there but given the OP's original question, I'd opt for a late model 42' NT. What a terrific boat! And with some decent speed too!

https://www.google.com/search?q=42+N...2F%3B557%3B373

OK where do I sign up.

Half way down the photo montage is a picture of an Old English Sheep dog, looking a lot like my old Basil.

Obviously these Nordic Tug boat people are of the highest calibre, and ergo, so are their boats.Actually Nordic tugs and Old English Sheep dogs seem a natural fit, a type of all's right with the world look.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #34
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Mr Sanders,
I am the last person you should jump about bashing BL for being cheap boats. I usually don't think of them as most are not my type. And I usually avoid products that are popular and embrace black sheep. Too bad you have to endure snide remarks. And most of the negative stuff in the trawler world re your boat is probably not related to it being a Bayliner but having to do w the fact that it's not a trawler. And then there's the flack the includes both the make AND the type. People that say negative things about your boat are rude to a significant degree and should be avoided and/or ignored.

I actually lust after your boat. Especially the fabulous wheelhouse. Nothing special about the main salon though. Don't remember the rest re the one time I've been aboard one. And the looks of the boat are solid grade A. The only BL I've been interested (some time ago) was the 22 and 27' "Explorer". I know nothing about BL quality of construction and probably won't unless I get serious about buying one some day.

Walt wrote "Eric, when you praise someone for a great post, we cant't just take one sentence and ignore the rest of the post". Sure I can. I just did. With the edit copy and paste feature I can take what I need to make my point and leave the rest. Using the "quote" feature seems a horrible waste of something by needing one sentence of 45 and posting the whole thing. And it's a disservice to re-post all 46 sentences.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #35
TF Site Team

Quote:
Mr Sanders,
I am the last person you should jump about bashing BL for being cheap boats.

My apologies Eric, I didnt mean to jump you.

I do get defensive, and I have to admit, its easy to get defensive.

I know most of the bad points about the several models of Bayliners I've owned. I find it amazing that nobody seems to pick up on the actual bad points, they just make things up. We all probably know the bad points about the boats we own. Thats the stuff that frustrates us.

I know my boat is not a caddilac, or a Mercedes, for comaprison sake. Its a ford. It is not luxurious. In terms of fit and finish to be honest its about on par with my working mans house. It has nice woodwork, but not as nice as some boats I've seen. Its a good all around functional boat.

What I heard today. What my eyes saw, and what I took away was that a fancier boat is more comfortable in wet weather. I should not have even commented. Thats so far from the truth as to be a non issue.

Would I like a fancier boat? Yea, maybe. But I feel pretty darn fortunate to have been able to buy the boats that I have had. I'm a working man. I work with my mind and my hands, but I wear boots to work. Sometimes I get dirty. Sometimes I get cold. I would have never dreamed, in all my wildest dreams that someday I'd own a big yacht. Never dreamed it. Yes, I am very fortunate. Blessed.

So, when I hear people slam something I never dreamed I'd be able to own, like it was beneath them, or like the case today just a little slam, not really much at all, Yes, I get defensive.

Todays comment was really not a big deal. Just a tiny little comment. I've heard worse, so much worse on internet forums. I just wish that people would be realistic in their comments. More expensive boats are prettier, and shinier. They are not in general more comfortable (assuming the same configuration), or more seaworthy, or more anything. They are prettier, and shinier.

A $100K fish boat conversion is just as seaworthy as the finest Nordhavn. Just like a Bayliner is just as much a coastal cruiser as any other coastal cruiser.

So, thanks for your patience and nice comments Eric. And again, my apologies.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 10-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Walt wrote "Eric, when you praise someone for a great post, we cant't just take one sentence and ignore the rest of the post".
Eric; That wasn't my quote...it was Kevin Sanders that wrote that. If you read my post carefully, you'll see that I was actually going to bat for you.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Obviously these Nordic Tug boat people are of the highest calibre, and ergo, so are their boats.Actually Nordic tugs and Old English Sheep dogs seem a natural fit, a type of all's right with the world look.
Well put and accurate.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #38

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
He's actually right. I really didn't know what size bayliner you could get for $150K. You definitely get a lot of boat for the money..... If the OP doesn't want a Trawler, there are a lot of Bayliners to choose from. Now, let's just all try and get a long. I really didn't intend ruffle anyone's feathers.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:58 AM   #39

City: wv
Omg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
Spacious cockpit for fishing or entertaining; flybridge for nice days; inside helm for less nice days; great sea keeping ability; heat; nice interior; a good turn of speed when needed; guest quarters; and GREAT looks. They are being sent/shipped West these days.
Sorry to interject here folks, but I am completely enamored with the vessel in post #24; please do tell what make it is.
jpdevol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:39 AM   #40

City: Newport Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Emerald Isle
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 37
I think that is a Jarvis-Newman.

desnbca is offline   Reply With Quote