Pacific Northwest Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you or anybody else saying that Nordic Tugs are more comfortable in wet weather than Bayliner boats? Because that was what he posted.

Eric, when you praise someone for a great post, we cant't just take one sentence and ignore the rest of the post./QUOTE]

Relax, Kevin! Eric didn't throw any stones at Bayliner! He simply agreed with a post that liked NTs!

I happen to think that he and Adelaide are right! Bayliner is a good boat but IMHO, NT is a great boat!

I think I have a good boat too but it's certainly not a great boat. :blush:

Seahorse, I'm not concerned about good Vs Great.

I'm concerned about being comfortable in wet weather, which is what the post was all about.

If someone were to post that Nordic tugs have a higher quality fit and finish than a Bayliner, I'd agree wholeheartedly. If someone were to post that Nordic Tugs look great, I'd agree wholeheartedly.

But when Someone posts that Nordic Tugs are more comfortable in wet weather than a Bayliner, then, well, I want them to quantify it.

Please understand that for my entire boating hobby time, aproaching a decade and a half, people have been making snide and untrue negative comments about the boats I've chosen to own. All that time I have never once made a negative comment about anybody elses boat. Defending Bayliners against people that do not know anything about them has become a somewhat fun pasttime for me. :)

I'm putting "sunchasers" on my list of Bayliner urban legend faults.

It would appear the OP has this pretty well figured out. What we can all agree on it appears is a dry and warm vessel fits the bill. Oh, and it must be a great boat costing less than $150 K, oops maybe not so great a boat after all.

I agree with this statement although there are numerous makes & models that would be excellent boats in the PNW. I think my own boat would be fun to have up there but given the OP's original question, I'd opt for a late model 42' NT. What a terrific boat! And with some decent speed too!

https://www.google.com/search?q=42+...ordic_tug_42%2Fnb%2Fmoi61079-y2013%2F;557;373

OK where do I sign up.

Half way down the photo montage is a picture of an Old English Sheep dog, looking a lot like my old Basil.

Obviously these Nordic Tug boat people are of the highest calibre, and ergo, so are their boats.Actually Nordic tugs and Old English Sheep dogs seem a natural fit, a type of all's right with the world look.

Mr Sanders,
I am the last person you should jump about bashing BL for being cheap boats. I usually don't think of them as most are not my type. And I usually avoid products that are popular and embrace black sheep. Too bad you have to endure snide remarks. And most of the negative stuff in the trawler world re your boat is probably not related to it being a Bayliner but having to do w the fact that it's not a trawler. And then there's the flack the includes both the make AND the type. People that say negative things about your boat are rude to a significant degree and should be avoided and/or ignored.

I actually lust after your boat. Especially the fabulous wheelhouse. Nothing special about the main salon though. Don't remember the rest re the one time I've been aboard one. And the looks of the boat are solid grade A. The only BL I've been interested (some time ago) was the 22 and 27' "Explorer". I know nothing about BL quality of construction and probably won't unless I get serious about buying one some day.

Walt wrote "Eric, when you praise someone for a great post, we cant't just take one sentence and ignore the rest of the post". Sure I can. I just did. With the edit copy and paste feature I can take what I need to make my point and leave the rest. Using the "quote" feature seems a horrible waste of something by needing one sentence of 45 and posting the whole thing. And it's a disservice to re-post all 46 sentences.

Mr Sanders,
I am the last person you should jump about bashing BL for being cheap boats.

My apologies Eric, I didnt mean to jump you.

I do get defensive, and I have to admit, its easy to get defensive.

I know most of the bad points about the several models of Bayliners I've owned. I find it amazing that nobody seems to pick up on the actual bad points, they just make things up. We all probably know the bad points about the boats we own. Thats the stuff that frustrates us.

I know my boat is not a caddilac, or a Mercedes, for comaprison sake. Its a ford. It is not luxurious. In terms of fit and finish to be honest its about on par with my working mans house. It has nice woodwork, but not as nice as some boats I've seen. Its a good all around functional boat.

What I heard today. What my eyes saw, and what I took away was that a fancier boat is more comfortable in wet weather. I should not have even commented. Thats so far from the truth as to be a non issue.

Would I like a fancier boat? Yea, maybe. But I feel pretty darn fortunate to have been able to buy the boats that I have had. I'm a working man. I work with my mind and my hands, but I wear boots to work. Sometimes I get dirty. Sometimes I get cold. I would have never dreamed, in all my wildest dreams that someday I'd own a big yacht. Never dreamed it. Yes, I am very fortunate. Blessed.

So, when I hear people slam something I never dreamed I'd be able to own, like it was beneath them, or like the case today just a little slam, not really much at all, Yes, I get defensive.

Todays comment was really not a big deal. Just a tiny little comment. I've heard worse, so much worse on internet forums. I just wish that people would be realistic in their comments. More expensive boats are prettier, and shinier. They are not in general more comfortable (assuming the same configuration), or more seaworthy, or more anything. They are prettier, and shinier.

A $100K fish boat conversion is just as seaworthy as the finest Nordhavn. Just like a Bayliner is just as much a coastal cruiser as any other coastal cruiser.

So, thanks for your patience and nice comments Eric. And again, my apologies.

Walt wrote "Eric, when you praise someone for a great post, we cant't just take one sentence and ignore the rest of the post".
Eric; That wasn't my quote...it was Kevin Sanders that wrote that. If you read my post carefully, you'll see that I was actually going to bat for you. :nonono:

Obviously these Nordic Tug boat people are of the highest calibre, and ergo, so are their boats.Actually Nordic tugs and Old English Sheep dogs seem a natural fit, a type of all's right with the world look.
Well put and accurate. :thumb:

He's actually right. I really didn't know what size bayliner you could get for $150K. You definitely get a lot of boat for the money..... If the OP doesn't want a Trawler, there are a lot of Bayliners to choose from. Now, let's just all try and get a long. I really didn't intend ruffle anyone's feathers.

Last edited:
Omg!

Spacious cockpit for fishing or entertaining; flybridge for nice days; inside helm for less nice days; great sea keeping ability; heat; nice interior; a good turn of speed when needed; guest quarters; and GREAT looks. They are being sent/shipped West these days.

Sorry to interject here folks, but I am completely enamored with the vessel in post #24; please do tell what make it is.

I think that is a Jarvis-Newman.

Sorry to interject here folks, but I am completely enamored with the vessel in post #24; please do tell what make it is.
I must admit that I am too!

What? I thought BL were "want-to-be" Sea Rays!!!:eek:

Just kidding Kevin, just kidding....:flowers::dance:

Any boat with good heat and ventilation would be fine in the BC inland waters. I think my next boat , if there is one, will be a Europa style.

FWIW, I also wear work boots, own a Nordic Tug and a Standard Poodle. Not sure how that fits the perceived demographic...

I think that is a Jarvis-Newman.

There's a smaller one for sale up in these parts, kinda rare in the NW.

1980 Jarvis Newman 36' Downeast Sedan Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I think that the key items I will be looking for on the next boat are:
No Teak Decks (don't have them now and want to keep it that way)
Diesel Heat (we run electric w/gen set now)
Confortable Pilothouse. Our OA is ok to run from inside, but I would really like a dedicated piolthouse with comfortable seating. Would make Fall and Winter cruising much more enjoyable.
Flybride with good seating for the summer months. We have the standard trawler back to back seats and they really aren't all that comfortable.

Last edited:
A two year commitment? unheard of!

Most on this Forum have put at least two years into boat selection, then keep it for a very long time, so our criteria are much different than yours and you must take any of our comments with that in mind.

IMHO there is a better resale market here, if numbers of boats on the water is any indication, for the Go-Fast boats like your Tiara example than for trawlers.

Craig: In sub 40' Bayliners there aren't many approaching his price point, most are much cheaper.

Although 42 GBs sell well, as reported above, there aren't so many around as to get you into a good one quickly. You will more likely get into a newer Sea Ray, Carver, or other plastic go fast.

Many PNW boats have a hard roof/top over the stern deck and canvas enclosed as it rains 10 months of the years. Like wise the command bridge will at least of have canvas top and enclosed. Canvas enclosures are not cheap so if the boat already has that can be a big plus.

Poodle

Anyone with a Standard Poodle is OK in our book!

Don

For what it's worth- it rains way more in Alabama than Washington State, so staying out of the rain isn't a concern solely for those in the PNW. The SE has the highest amount of rain fall. Get's rather hot too...and cold. Being able to operate from a climate controlled protected helm has benefits not matter where one lives.
It would seem to me that boats that are more popular in an area- ARE more popular in an area, which mean's it's easier to buy and sell them there. More buyers-more sellers. Also more professionals who know the boats very well-when you need service. Bayliners indeed 'rule' the PNW. Those who could afford to buy any boat-buy them because they fit the bill without having to worry about precious woodwork getting scratched up by kids and pets. No Captain yelling equals happy family cruising. So do you want a boat more pleasant to LOOK at or one to use? It's like a bad haircut you know. YOU can't see it, so shouldn't interfere with your duties. In fact when I was a single guy I NEVER had a woman come up and say "wow, nice haircut", but had many come up in the gym (HOOK!) and say "who gave you that bad hair cut?". Apparently the hair didn't matter.

Last edited:
Any boat with good heat and ventilation would be fine in the BC inland waters. I think my next boat , if there is one, will be a Europa style.

FWIW, I also wear work boots, own a Nordic Tug and a Standard Poodle. Not sure how that fits the perceived demographic...

Actually the old Nordic Tug 26 is to blame for me even getting into boating.

I was on a project in Whittier, Alaska and was walking the dock one day. I saw this beautiful red 26' Nordic Tug.

I called my wife, standing right there on the dock and told my wife I wanted to buy that boat. it was listed at $45k back then.

Her words were "sell your plane first" so a for sale sign went up on my plane that week. well by the time my plane sold, so had the little red Nordic Tug.

So I bought a wanna be sea ray, a Bayliner and the rest is history. :eek:

Btw, I wouldn't own a poodle. ;) I boat with four dogs. Two Tibetan Mastiffs a German Shepard and a Lab. They love it?

Actually the old Nordic Tug 26 is to blame for me even getting into boating.

I was on a project in Whittier, Alaska and was walking the dock one day. I saw this beautiful red 26' Nordic Tug.

I called my wife, standing right there on the dock and told my wife I wanted to buy that boat. it was listed at $45k back then.

Her words were "sell your plane first" so a for sale sign went up on my plane that week. well by the time my plane sold, so had the little red Nordic Tug.

So I bought a wanna be sea ray, a Bayliner and the rest is history. :eek:

Btw, I wouldn't own a poodle. ;) I boat with four dogs. Two Tibetan Mastiffs a German Shepard and a Lab. They love it?

When the bug bites it bites hard!

Let's see I remember a gut running poodles in the Iditrod one year, did fair well if memory serves.

As the person to ask the question, I thank you for both of your comments and I love both of your boats. Thanks for everyone's comments. I learned a lot and this is a great way to learn.

If it's only two summers why buy anything. Lock in a charter boat and avoid all the bs associated with owning a money pit.

Buehler's version of the Coot, oriented toward PNW fishing:

Coot

If it's only two summers why buy anything. Lock in a charter boat and avoid all the bs associated with owning a money pit.

I am bringing this short-term ownership thread up again as I am finding myself in the same situation. The Admiral has agreed to continuing our post retirement coastal Washington living for two to three more years. I am approved to purchase another boat at this time but will need to sell it when we move inland in two to three years.

I have inquired about long-term charter at the Seattle Boat Show and was unable to find a charter company willing to reduce the rate for a month long charter. Besides the Admiral does not support "renting" someone else's boat.

We cruised Puget Sound and the Canadian Gulf Islands in our Sea Ray Sundancer for nearly 10 years. The Admiral now wants a boat that has the windows/visibility of a Bayliner 3587-4087. We are shopping in the $50K - $75k price range.

Three Questions I have:
1) is there any possibility of chartering a boat for a month or so at a reasonable rate? The quotes I was getting were around $20k for a month. I love the idea of just turning in the keys and walking away when the season ends.
2) is it reasonable to think I could buy and resell a Bayliner 3587-4087 with a two to three year ownership?
3) are there other brands/models we should be looking at. (an aft cabin island berth is a must) We plan to cruise further north

Our GB 36 is coming on the market for 82k to a private buyer if that interests you,. Higher when broker listed. I would think it would hold its value better and sell quicker that the Bayliners mentioned. PM me if you are interested.

When the bug bites it bites hard!

Let's see I remember a gut running poodles in the Iditrod one year, did fair well if memory serves.

He withdrew about halfway of i recall.
I grew up with a standard poodle. Wonderful, smart dogs.

When I think of bayliner I think of lake boats

Back
Top Bottom