Oxe Diesel outboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dimer2

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Baobab
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4788
"Borrowed" from another forum...Oxe Diesel outboard, has some interesting concepts, including cabin heat, adjustable gear ratio (belt driven).

OXE - DIESEL OUTBOARD

Some very interesting design features. Will be interesting to see if it gets recreational acceptance. No interest in being an early adopter.

Ted

Adapting the modern auto turbo diesel for marine use makes good sense. Our "other boat" is a 24 foot 2014 Mercedes Benz Sprinter motorhome by Leisure Travel. It's powered by a V6 turbo diesel that runs quiet, smooth, and delivers up to 19 gph. The entire power plant is small and light weight compared to the Lehman 6N-140 in my Willard trawler. Probably not practical for heavy displacement hull boats, but seems ideal for the light weight commercial use vessels. I wonder how price compares to conventional OB...double the price?

Adapting the modern auto turbo diesel for marine use makes good sense. Our "other boat" is a 24 foot 2014 Mercedes Benz Sprinter motorhome by Leisure Travel. It's powered by a V6 turbo diesel that runs quiet, smooth, and delivers up to 19 gph. The entire power plant is small and light weight compared to the Lehman 6N-140 in my Willard trawler. Probably not practical for heavy displacement hull boats, but seems ideal for the light weight commercial use vessels. I wonder how price compares to conventional OB...double the price?

I believe the merc i/o 120hp with the vw car engine was a total disaster. Surprisingly the toyota land cruiser engine has also had major problems in marine guise, as has the yanmar BMW engines.

Continuous duty in a boat doesn't seem to treat car engines kindly, they seem to like light duty cycles on low load.think how hard it is to design a bullet proof marine engine from scratch.

Of course they could be lucky with their gm diesel car engine.

I think your price guess is probably spot on.

Honda has done well with there V6 car engine used on the bigger outboards. Small diesel engines are quite a bit different tho.

Back
Top Bottom