Owner Absent ... Crew at Meals lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
My winter project was to replace the flat PH roof with a better looking cambered roof.

Now its time for the goodies , vents antennas , spot light Air cond (RV) etc.

I have the space to mount " owner absent or crew at meals" lights

BUT

do you think any of todays boaters would know what they mean?

I hate to knock a hole and run wiring for nothing.

I certainly would not know.
no.gif

Larry M wrote:
confuse.gif
Larry: I really like your avatar...lots of action in it.

SeaHorse II wrote:Larry: I really like your avatar...lots of action in it.*
Thanks.* The river pilot shot the photo*a couple weeks ago as we were crossing the bar coming into Bahia de Sol.* You can come in once per day at high slack.* They are on a bit of a budget, the pilots ride*a jet ski.*

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
El Salvador

No.* Even if I did, I would not wnat to signal/show we are asbsent/not on the boat.

You should, if you have the room on your Starboard yardarm.
It doesn't matter that most who see the lights, either lit or dark, will have no clue what they signify. What matters is that you know, and use the lights appropriately.

FF wrote:

My winter project was to replace the flat PH roof with a better looking cambered roof.

Now its time for the goodies , vents antennas , spot light Air cond (RV) etc.

I have the space to mount " owner absent or crew at meals" lights

BUT

do you think any of todays boaters would know what they mean?

I hate to knock a hole and run wiring for nothing.
Hi FF...I wouldn't know what the lights would mean, to answer your question. However, I would be interested to know what the lights look like, and in today's world, what would be the purpose? Is this to signify, for example, that while at anchor no-one is available to deal with anything untoward? (In that context, there would be a huge difference between being absent and having a meal.)Interesting concept.

Owner absent, crew at meals? sounds like a Jimmy Bufftet song
Steve W

Surely it couldn't just be that FF was making a light hearted comment? On the lines of "where does one display the Court Martial flag?
Jon

FF: *I think it's great to have someone on the forum that at least can tell us what the lights originally meant, but I'm even more interested in your pilothouse roof change. *Your Avitar looks entirely appropriate, although I'm by no means a purest. *Was the extra camber for function....better drainage, etc.? *

I can't deny that there is a charm about keeping the tradition of those lights, and being able to tell others their significance. *It is, after all, nautical tradition, and much the character of your superb vessel.

Guess I will sell it to a museum , as no one reads Chapmans any more.

My Chapmans is not with me at the moment.* Please put me out of my misery and tell me about the subject lights.* What are they?* What do they look like?* Any other lights like these?* My curiosity is killing me!
confuse.gif

FF wrote:

Guess I will sell it to a museum , as no one reads Chapmans any more.
I'm guess the only three that you need.* Put them on the yardarm and be done.

-- Edited by JD on Wednesday 9th of March 2011 09:29:49 AM

-- Edited by JD on Wednesday 9th of March 2011 09:30:35 AM

Attachments

• revised-flag-and-banner.gif
    revised-flag-and-banner.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 583
  • coffeetime.jpg
    coffeetime.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 498
  • cocktailnylon.jpg
    cocktailnylon.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 493
As I recall, those lights were/are used on fully crewed Yachts. The lights inform the other Yachties that "the owner is not aboard so don't come to visit the owner now", or that "the crew is eating now, so they will not be available to greet/assist with boarding/serve drinks/etc.". Large Yachts are often in charter service when the owner is not using his Yacht, so the "owner absent light" also tells people that. It is also common for the crew to move/transit the Yacht without the owner present, as in "Captain, take the Yacht to Sitka, AK, I will jet in on my Gulfstream later".

We should all be so rich as to need those lights! LOL

I understood that blue lights were verboten except for law enforcement vessels, or is that just flashing blue?

-- Edited by markpierce on Thursday 10th of March 2011 12:29:06 AM

Now that I know what they look like, I undertand what the blue light was on a large yacht anchored in Grace Harbour one night last summer. All I know is that the folks sure liked to party! Almost as though they were on someone else's boat.

Everyone knows that signal.* I am trying to find the "Owner incoherent, crew members uncomprehending signal".* That one I can keep on 24/7.

"Owner incoherent, crew members uncomprehending signal". That one I can keep on 24/7.

A pair of mens skivvies on a a hoist should take care of that!

For $300 I should put it on E bay , rather than mount it .

Click on the blue light, you'll be mobbed by K-mart Shoppers
Steve W.

The Blue light should be ok,

I would stay away from as red light tho, or the Cajun folks will be alongside thinking the Craw-daddies are ready!

FF wrote:

The Blue light should be ok,

I would stay away from as red light tho, or the Cajun folks will be alongside thinking the Craw-daddies are ready!
With a red light they may be looking for more than Craw-daddies...

Rob
37' Sedan

I would be more inclined to display my Keel-Hauling lights. That will surly make any intruders think twice about coming aboard while I am having my meals or I'm away from the boat at the Tiki-Bar.

-- Edited by reefdrifter on Tuesday 22nd of March 2011 09:19:19 PM

Larry M wrote:

SeaHorse II wrote:Larry: I really like your avatar...lots of action in it.*
Thanks.* The river pilot shot the photo*a couple weeks ago as we were crossing the bar coming into Bahia de Sol.* You can come in once per day at high slack.* They are on a bit of a budget, the pilots ride*a jet ski.*

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
El Salvador
my kind of inlet!

Back
Top Bottom