Old 11-10-2015, 12:02 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck 492 View Post
If I were to not allow red wine on my boat I wouldn't be able to go aboard and that ain't happening. A simple solution for wine spills, as mentioned previously is Red Wine Stain Removal with Wine Away
The problem with red wine is directly proportional to how many glasses have been consumed. lol

I would say it's like anything else though, have what it takes to clean it, and do so immediately.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #22
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Our rule is only no red wine for visitors.

If we spill some ourselves, at least it's on us.

And I don't much care if visitors are miffed at the rule; they're allowed to spill whatever they want in their own home.

-Chris
Old 11-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #23
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Dang, as I was repling, look at the land yatch carpets, so I rented a rug doctor. Took 30 to rent, 15 minutes to get if ready, 5 minutes to actual shampoo, and 30 minutes to return, and 35 bucks later.

We have a wecome mat, the stairs are carpeted and another throw rug before you enter, so your feet shoes are relatively clean. A cheap way is a bucket/bush and a wet vac 15 minutes total time and costs basically nothing as most have a wet vac. oh, the engine room is also carpeted.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:42 PM   #24
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
For live aboards that endure real winter , snow. mud salt etc, the best is to overlay every area with bathroom carpet.

This can be cut to intricate shapes with out the need for a binding.

Toss it into the BIG machine at the laundromat as required.

Usually impossible to get visitors to remove boots and the rest , so this solves the problem .
I don't know about the boots but as to the "rest" it usually takes about three glasses of wine to get them to start taking the rest off.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:44 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
I don't know about the boots but as to the "rest" it usually takes about three glasses of wine to get them to start taking the rest off.
Wifey B: If they take it off at three glasses, they wanted to at the beginning and just using the wine as an excuse....
Old 11-10-2015, 03:48 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
....no red wine allowed on the boat.
You are joking!
Why bother with a boat???

Not gonna happen aboard "Bacchus"
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:09 PM   #27

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure
Gotta have red wine, we have some great Pinot Noir here in NZ.

5 years ago we changed to a solution-dyed nylon carpet which looks exactly the same as our earlier wool carpet.
Most stains simply rinse off with plenty of water (including red wine). Apparently you can use bleach, but on anything greasy, I use CRC Brakleen and just press with a paper towel.

We do have lots of drop sheets for when we are doing engine room stuff.
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:37 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendit View Post
Gotta have red wine, we have some great Pinot Noir here in NZ.

5 years ago we changed to a solution-dyed nylon carpet which looks exactly the same as our earlier wool carpet.
Most stains simply rinse off with plenty of water (including red wine). Apparently you can use bleach, but on anything greasy, I use CRC Brakleen and just press with a paper towel.

We do have lots of drop sheets for when we are doing engine room stuff.
We have no rule, but I can't remember anyone ever drinking red wine on our boat. Actually, the only alcohol I can recall at the moment on the boat is Champagne.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:03 PM   #29
FF
Guru

"the only alcohol I can recall at the moment on the boat is Champagne."

Since you can remember it, perhaps the latest "science" of drinking champagne 3x a week to fight dementia does work?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:08 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"the only alcohol I can recall at the moment on the boat is Champagne."

Since you can remember it, perhaps the latest "science" of drinking champagne 3x a week to fight dementia does work?
I had not read about that science. As we don't drink it nearly that frequently, perhaps once a month for us, now I'm guessing we need to educate ourselves further in the science.

Is champagne distinguished somehow in the science from other non-sparkling wines?
Old 11-11-2015, 12:44 PM   #31
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Get good boat shoes.....
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:34 PM   #32
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
It was drilled into me from a young age to knock the sand off my shoes as I was getting into the dinghy. Then when boarding the boat to dip the soles of shoes in the water again. Once I get ON the boat with clean shoes the 'keeping it clean' is way easier.

The problem is guests who don't take this so seriously.

Regarding carpets, I have two sets on my current vessel. One that was glued down. The other set the PO had professionally made and bound in the shapes of the deck with hatch cut outs as needed.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:22 PM   #33
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Yep, drink a glass of bubbly at least 3-4 times a week and you get to keep your memory, at least according the the latest WHO (World Health Organization) research. BUT, the bubbly has to be the type made from Pinot Noir or Pinot Menior (sp) grapes, ie two special red grapes (when they make the wine they don't let it sit on the lees -red skins) - all grapes are clear/white on the inside. Probably the same benefit from drinking any red wine. Bottoms up!!
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:46 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotCharlie View Post
Yep, drink a glass of bubbly at least 3-4 times a week and you get to keep your memory, at least according the the latest WHO (World Health Organization) research. BUT, the bubbly has to be the type made from Pinot Noir or Pinot Menior (sp) grapes, ie two special red grapes (when they make the wine they don't let it sit on the lees -red skins) - all grapes are clear/white on the inside. Probably the same benefit from drinking any red wine. Bottoms up!!
Well, 3-4 times a week isn't in our plans, so we'll just accept fading memory.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:29 PM   #35
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotCharlie View Post
Yep, drink a glass of bubbly at least 3-4 times a week and you get to keep your memory, at least according the the latest WHO (World Health Organization) research.
An old logger in Sayward BC was a heavy drinker. No, I mean a really heavy drinker. You have no idea. Was always that way.

Few years ago he had a massive blow out and I don't know how many bypasses. Doc told him he had to quit drinking. Nope, if he had to do that he'd go sit on the dock and drink 'til he keeled over into the drink.

The doc knew him well and compromised; 3 beer a day, that's it, no more. Br. B compromised too. Has nothing all week, then 21 every Saturday.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:06 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Br. B compromised too. Has nothing all week, then 21 every Saturday.
No, we're just not into heavy drinking. The fact we both had alcoholic fathers certainly skews our views of drinking.