Old 10-28-2019, 04:39 PM   #1
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Overtaking prohibited in vicinity of marina!

Had an odd radio exchange with a marina near Hilton Head today. I had just finished radio contact with another vessel I was preparing to overtake when we got a loud high powered VHF call from the Marina we were passing by. The speaker “ordered” us to slow down and stop passing in front of his marina. We were over 300yds from the docks and traveling at hull speed at the time. The area has a homemade “no wake” sign, but we were both in compliance anyway doing an arranged slow pass. The exact words were: “Passing is prohibited in front of the marina”.

I telephoned the Tybee USGC and they stated that while I am always responsible for my wake, if I am over 50yds outside of the bouy line the zone does not apply. I was 300yds outside. He also said that I can overtake anywhere it is safe, even inside the bouy line. What the Chief Petty Officer was unwilling to do was give the marina a courtesy call and tell them to stop trying to interfere with safe navigation unless I could give him the name of the individual involved. He did know which marina I was taking about as soon as I described the interaction though.
For those familiar with the area, the marina name is very similar to the name of the place where King Kong lives.

Woodland Hills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:43 PM   #2
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
The marina could have gotten the municipalities to pass some dipshi* law...but I doubt it.

At worst it is a no wake zone so passing just seems impracticable, but in my mind the marina is tired of dipshi*s...but is way off base.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:50 PM   #3

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
I love marinas that like to try to push boats around... Earlier this year I was passing a yacht club on the upper Hudson having slowed to about 6 kts for a no wake zone. My wake looked much like the picture below at the time, so a small ripple, nothing that should harm docked boats 50+ yards away. And yet, right as I approach the yacht club, I get a rather irritated sounding call on the VHF "Northbound vessel approaching *** yacht club, Captain, this is a NO WAKE zone". Of course, I did oblige and pulled the throttles back to idle, but I still found the encounter a little ridiculous.

Goes right along with the old guy in a small fishing boat that yelled at me one of the last times I was out this season while I was heading back into the channel at 5 kts making less wake than the picture. He looks up at me and yells "slow down, you're going way too fast" despite me being within the posted speed limit for the channel (6 mph, so 5.2 kts). I'm pretty sure he expected me to enter the channel at his speed, which I'd estimate at 2.5 - 3 kts (slower than my idle speed).

rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Beaufort, NC
Vessel Name: Obsession
Vessel Model: Transpac Eagle 40
I was passing a marina at no wake speed early one morning on my way back from Florida when a voice came over 16 advising me that I was in a no wake zone and that I needed to slow down. I responded that I was satisfied with my wake and would assume full responsibility and proceeded to give him my boat name, and hailing port and thanked him for his concern. That was it. There are plenty of violators but there are also plenty of “Barney Fifes” out to make a citizens arrest. Slow down but don’t be intimidated.

Don
steelydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:46 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
For those familiar with the area, the marina name is very similar to the name of the place where King Kong lives.
Wifey B: Familiar with area but had to google to find out where King Kong lives.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:41 PM   #6
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Haven't experienced complaining marinas, but I have received dirty looks from a homeowner giving me dirty looks approaching Petaluma where the channel was about 60 feet wide, despite going at "no wake" speed.

Starboard phto shows the wake, taken earlier on the channel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1864.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	95846  
Old 10-28-2019, 08:59 PM   #7
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Here was the wake made earlier in the channel (is wider than near the homeowner's part of the channel):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1862.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	95849  
Old 10-28-2019, 09:43 PM   #8

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
*fart noise into VHF Mic*
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:46 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
I obey all no wake and slow wake zones and make an effort to minimize impact of wake on other boats and docks. However, if you have a home on the ICW, you need to expect wakes and live with them in peace. I speak as someone whose home is often heavily waked. You also get angry people if you go by fast in a boat where high speed creates minimal wake. It's not the center consoles running 45 knots that are the problem, but the ones not on plane running 10 knots. I have sympathy for boaters being dangerously waked and for homeowners with derelict boats sitting off their property for months or years without movement. I don't have sympathy for people with waterfront homes who are upset with everyone who anchors and every boat that passes.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:48 PM   #10
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I love marinas that like to try to push boats around... Earlier this year I was passing a yacht club on the upper Hudson having slowed to about 6 kts for a no wake zone. My wake looked much like the picture below at the time, so a small ripple, nothing that should harm docked boats 50+ yards away. And yet, right as I approach the yacht club, I get a rather irritated sounding call on the VHF "Northbound vessel approaching *** yacht club, Captain, this is a NO WAKE zone". Of course, I did oblige and pulled the throttles back to idle, but I still found the encounter a little ridiculous.

Goes right along with the old guy in a small fishing boat that yelled at me one of the last times I was out this season while I was heading back into the channel at 5 kts making less wake than the picture. He looks up at me and yells "slow down, you're going way too fast" despite me being within the posted speed limit for the channel (6 mph, so 5.2 kts). I'm pretty sure he expected me to enter the channel at his speed, which I'd estimate at 2.5 - 3 kts (slower than my idle speed).

That is a bigger wake than I can produce at wide open throttle.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
That is a bigger wake than I can produce at wide open throttle.

Sounds like you've got an impressively efficient boat then! For perspective on the picture, the total height of the waves is under 6" for the taller ones (peak to trough) and by the time they've traveled outwards noticeably further up in the picture they're smaller.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:18 PM   #12

City: Smithfield
Steelydon, love your response. I to am a very conscientious boater and get very tired of the middle fingers and calls on VHF over a 6” wake. More and more of our society has unrealistic expectations on what is a legitimate problem.
motoryacht lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Windmill Harbour, Hilton Head Island, SC
Vessel Name: River Girl
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 49 RPH
Perhaps there is another perspective? Skull Creek Marina does not have the white "no wake" buoys but there is a large sign advising no wake due to the fuel dock. Most of us slow down when passing but always a few non-compliant. Some boaters don't realize that their wake propagates for a great distance without subsiding and a 6" high wave is 1 ft peak to trough which can be a PITA while at the dock in a 17' runabout. To be fair, most trawlers make significant wake as they near displacement hull speed. I am not familiar with the specific wake of your 63' Hatt., but I suspect that after daily rocking & rolling at the fuel dock, (safe) passing wasn't the issue, your radio broadcast of intention to pass, naturally raised the expectation of unnecessary wake hence the call. I wonder also if one of the many yachts/boat that dock there were using the Marina name as a location for simplicity? We all need to chil some more on the water, laugh off the clowns and our own inconsideracies. Enjoy!
Old 10-29-2019, 06:01 AM   #14
Guru

Skull Creek Marina is pretty aggressive on the radio with calling wake offenders...and there are plenty there.

The reason I guess is because headed southbound, you never fee abeam the marina due to the angle passing it and the distance.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:50 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post

Albany Yacht Club perhaps? They tried to harass me also several years ago. LOL
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:27 AM   #16

City: Marathon, FL & On Loop
Vessel Name: Maka Honu
Vessel Model: Ta Yang, 42 Tayana PH Trawler 1976
Some marinas have fuel and work docks exposed to waterway. Regardless of unrestricted travel rights, we lower speed to no wake when we see activity at same.
bgillroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:34 AM   #17

For no wake zones, I always slow down. But unless it's a very tight area or there's a visible reason to (such as someone just arriving at a fuel dock), I'm not slowing all the way to idle. Generally I take the rule of thumb that if a few inch tall wake damages a docked boat, the owner was likely negligent in tying up his boat. Most places will see at least that amount of movement (from small waves and wind) on a windy day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
Albany Yacht Club perhaps? They tried to harass me also several years ago. LOL
Yep, that's the one.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:51 AM   #18
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
We call them "Wake Nazis." They scream and swear on VHF 16 at every passing boater who might be making more than a ripple. The worst is when I just happen to be out front (not throwing any wake) when the Wake Nazi gets hit by the wake of the boat that passed me a minute ago, and I get blamed. There's one marina I won't pass until all the wakes from other boats have subsided.

On the other hand, I have no sympathy for those who don't realize how much damage their wake can do, or even how large their wake really is. Especially the ones who think it's OK to throw SOME wake, because it's just too inconvenient to drop to full idle. This is especially true for some hulls, like sportfishermen and semi-displacement "trawlers" which throw a lot of wake at a relatively slow speed.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:03 AM   #19
Guru

I look at if as if my wake is the same size as what a 10 knot wind would generate....then I only slow down further when I see people actually working in one way or another.

If my one time wake every 6 months isn't doing any more damage than the dock experiences all day long for 50 percent of its life....I don't feel guilty at all....and suggest people who have bought on the ICW didn't think things through. Even smarts states won't give them No Wake Zone permits and tell them to use boat lifts..
Old 10-29-2019, 10:15 AM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I've spent several years in a marina where the no wake zone is grossly ignored. The wake itself isn't outrageous, however the frequency starts to be annoying. You have a marina staff that is getting complaints from paying customer's. They are doing what they can to keep the customer's at bay.

While I'm not a fan of lying to manipulate people. It's also your prerogative to ignore them.

Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote