Old 11-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #1

Aluminum trawler thoughts and opinions?

We have been working on the design and construction of a steel trawler/tug..

But I have always thought we might be able to find a used boat that would fit most of our needs...

I don't know long it has been for sale, but a friend emailed us link. It has a lot of unique things (manual windlass, Gardner 2cyl engine, controllable pitch prop)

But it is fitted very simply, how we would like most of the systems, except for no shower and no bow thruster.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1646&url=

I just saw it tonight and have 1,000 questions for the broker, but it does look like it meets a lot of our wants
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

RE: Aluminum trawler thoughts and opinions?

Badgers' link

Interesting. Need to look at it some more.

Mike
Palm Coast FL
pull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #3

THanks the iPad was acting funny
Old 11-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001

A few comments have already been made on this forum!

http://www.trawlerforum.com/t46281842/cool-boat/
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Conrad wrote:

A few comments have already been made on this forum!

http://www.trawlerforum.com/t46281842/cool-boat/

Whoops missed that... They already reduced the price $60k.

I find it odd that the boat looks pretty stout and they chose what appears to be lightweight doors. I can't tell the quality f the windows from the photos. Odd that they would build that way and no shower? 416 gallons of fuel is less than I expected as well. The Gardner engine and the controllable pitch prop are interesting choices as well for a boat built in the states.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001

I just thought it was ironic that you were interested in a boat that had just been discussed out of the blue. (I doubt that most folks read every thread here...although I may be commiting heresy by saying that.)
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
KJ
El Capitan

City: North Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC

I saw the vessel last week in Alameda. I thought it was*interesting enough to take a picture of it and post it (COOL BOAT) just as a passing thought. I thought the high bow was impressive, it just shouts "offshore". It looked like a pretty sturdy boat.*** KJ

*[img]../../download.spark?ID=1041035&aBID=115492[/img]
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:01 PM   #8
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat

Don't get me wrong. I am an absolute Gardner nut but I think that the 2LW is a bit on the wee side for this boat as it is no sailing boat just a sail assisted under powered motor cruiser.
Now a 4 LW might have been a different kettle of fish.
No shower for me that would be an absolute No No unless there is some place to fit it. We are cruising not "Camping Out"
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #9

I though the 2lw was a misprint at first..
The listing was missing a few details. I am not of fan of where then house batteries are (right next to the engine). The lack of a shower. 2 heads, no shower? No alloy listed, and the displacement seems light for a 46' trawler, even in aluminum.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #10
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Here in Alaska most all people looking to buy a boat would'nt even look at a boat that was'nt aluminum. I think most all of them look somewhere between uninspiring to awful and more are closer to awful. The one you're looking at is fairly bad looking and most any FG boat would be better looking. However the maintenance issue cannot be over looked and they are by far the most user friendly type of boat so if avoiding soft rotten decks, blisters and the other problems associated w FG boats is extremely important aluminum is where it's at. But definitely would'nt want to survey for myself. Despite all the above I lusted over an aluminum boat last winter.*
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #11
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
However the maintenance issue cannot be over looked and they are by far the most user friendly type of boat so if avoiding soft rotten decks, blisters and the other problems associated w FG boats is extremely important aluminum is where it's at.
* My God! Again, I agree with Eric!

I think I have more miles in one of these than I do my own boat. I love them!
Attached Thumbnails
al 1.jpg   al 2.jpg  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #12
Guru

Nice to be on the same page Walt but look how ugly they are. Those slab sided things should'nt be yachts. Even nice paint wo'nt hide the lines that look like they were created by a welder and not a marine architect. However I may build a new boat in the future and aluminum is on the table. The marine architect has already been chosen *...Atkin.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #13
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
*Those slab sided things should'nt be yachts. Even nice paint wo'nt hide the lines that look like they were created by a welder and not a marine architect.
Ah, but that look is popular among those who are looking for something a little different than the neighbors.

The German builder Lurssen provides some interesting designs.

M/Y Ronin, Skat and Rising Sun. And one by Derecktor, my first jetboat command, Silent Wings
Attached Thumbnails
ronin 281004 003.jpg   lurssen-skat.jpg   rising-sun.jpg   wings.jpg  
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #14
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40

one thing about aluminum...you better understand and be vigilant for stray current corrosion...can wreck an aluminum boat in days...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

It's not pretty, but not butt ugly either, yet it has a certain agricultural purposeful look about it, as if saying, "No I'm not pretty but I'll do the job well". However, the motor does seem under-sized for what is not really a true motor-sailer, and it does ride rather high, so you wonder about being under ballasted. Also there is the issue of the slam bang at anchor, the galvanic corrosion issue and no shower. None of which are insurmountable, and maybe the current engine could be converted to a wing engine and its big brother installed as the main? Ballast is cheap, and everything else do-able. It looks nicely kitted out inside, tho you'd need to be pretty nimble going up and down that companionway, and I'd prefer an island bed, and for ocean traveling athwart ships is best in my view. However, the Dashews swear by alloy, and it does have a maintenance upside if you don't mind a rugged 'unpainted' look. Not being painted does lessen the hidden corrosion potential I believe.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #16
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Quote:
Peter B wrote:and it does ride rather high, so you wonder about being under ballasted.
*Geez, if you guys can whip up an inclining experiment just by looking at a boat you have a solid future in naval architecture.

And why does everyone think that adding ballast makes a boat ride better? Just the opposite is commonly the case.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #17
Guru

Quite true Rick ballast can be good or bad but I mostly agree w Peter but disagreeing w Peter I say it's looks pretty bad. AND I may be looking at a boat on TF that's actually underpowered. Shocked I am. But I'd sea trial it before writing it off. It's only 4000lbs more than my Willy and the hull may be more optimized for efficiency so it's possible the Gardner is sufficient power. A 40' Willard weighing much more and w a shorter WLL only requires about 25hp to make 7 knots. If I owned it I think I'd keep it away from the yacht club though. Of one thing I'm sure is that they will look a long time to find someone that thinks that's enough power. I'll predict the price will come way down before they do too.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #18

It's all already down 60k... We would want a screaming deal to buy an unknown, "unique" boat. We would have convert the second head to a shower, add a bow thruster etc.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #19
Guru

Charles,

The proportions are bad on the fwd ends of this boat. That could be a plus for the original owner as he probably sacrificed visual appeal for head room. And then there are marine architects that are good engineers and just do'nt have much visual arts knowledge. This boat however, looks very well made and I especially like the aft cockpit. But the lack of visual art skills of the "designer" will insure this boat will be hard to sell. And if it were mine I'd paint it but most all of my Alaskan friends would say that would ruin the boat because of the paint maintenance and some would even try and tell me the bare aluminum looks better. Nuts to me. Why are'nt Nordhavn's, Flemming's, DeFever's, Krogen's and Nordic Tug's made out of aluminum? Clearly a superior material. Probably because unless great amounts of money were spent on their construction they would look like aluminum boats.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #20
Guru

Charles,*

I left my wallet at home today. Actually I do that most all the time here in Alaska. Sometimes I stop to get something and have to go home and get the wallet. Always leave the keys in the car in Thorne Bay though.*