Old 08-11-2019, 02:47 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Well, you and I certainly have different definitions of joyous recreation.

We just try to limit our bread and in turn our carbs. With the proliferation of low carb diets from Atkins to Paleo to Keto and the frequency of diabetes, I'm a little surprised at all the bread making taking place. That makes me curious, do most of you eat some form of bread with all meals or how many of your 21 meals a week include bread?
We eat bread with dinner once or twice a week. Gotta have french bread with pasta, soups, etc. Toasted cheese and BLT sandwiches for quick dinner after a long run.

Sandwiches couple times a week for lunch.

Peanut or jam on toast for breakfast once in a while.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:09 PM   #22

City: Cresent Beach, BC
Vessel Name: Endless Tymes
Vessel Model: 44' Marine Trader
I use my BBQ and a pizza stone for baking bread
Attached Thumbnails
P1040995.jpg  
Chris b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:27 PM   #23
Imp

City: Sneads Ferry NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Well, you and I certainly have different definitions of joyous recreation.

We just try to limit our bread and in turn our carbs. With the proliferation of low carb diets from Atkins to Paleo to Keto and the frequency of diabetes, I'm a little surprised at all the bread making taking place.

Diet fads cycle--today (& yesterday) Paleo, Atkins is long in the tooth, & I remember the days when high carbs were the fashionable way to health. Before that the fad was the Drinking Man's diet, which is actually akin to Paleo & Atkins before they existed. As a biological anthropologist (retired), it is my opinion that we have sufficiently evolved past what we consider a Paleo diet (which is actually kind of a limited view of our ancestral fare), & most of us have a sufficient ancestral agricultural DNA base to support a wide-ranging palate. The key, as in most things in life, is moderation, along with a goodly dose of activity. Problems to arise as we age past our life expectancy, & are hampered by those inconveniences of age like artificial joints, & we can't quite meet the balances necessary for optimal health. We make our choices & live (or not) with the consequences. Personally, I can't imagine denying my crew the delights of sea air & the sounds of Margaritaville without homemade pizza while running with the dolphins or waffles on Sunday morning while still early enough not to be hot.

BTW, I temper the horridness of my breads by using yogurt cheese (now known as Greek yogurt) instead of oil. You can use applesauce instead, but that makes it mold early.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:10 PM   #24
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Atkins is long in the tooth

Long in the tooth, not really, the new Keto diet is the Atkins diet with good fats added. And Greek yogurt (yogurt cheese) is used in many Keto recipes, great in smoothies with berries, spenda, unsweetened almond milk, and a bit of vanilla extract.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:36 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris b View Post
I use my BBQ and a pizza stone for baking bread
Very cool. Does it take any longer than baking it in a more conventional oven?
HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:52 PM   #26
Imp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
Atkins is long in the tooth

Long in the tooth, not really, the new Keto diet is the Atkins diet with good fats added. And Greek yogurt (yogurt cheese) is used in many Keto recipes, great in smoothies with berries, spenda, unsweetened almond milk, and a bit of vanilla extract.
And the old is new again! Without the Splenda & vanilla, that's how I've been making smoothies for the past 3 decades.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:25 PM   #27
Imp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmuir View Post
Note that in tropical latitudes yeast goes bonkers, so normal recipe rise times go out the door. Even noting the minimal yeast measurement in this recipe, I recommend any bread baker keep a close eye on rising bread as you head south. I found myself using about 1/4 the usual yeast in the southern Caribbean & my bread still popped up quickly. You can also extend your yeast supply with fermented potato water and/or homemade sourdough mix. Use your basic bread recipe (mine is 1/2 whole wheat) for pizza, rolls, burger buns, fat breadsticks, pretzels, etc.

BTW a handful of dried cranberries in your bread make it even more nutritious & delicious--try it for grilled cheese.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #28

City: San diego
Vessel Name: Dessert
I'm not into diet fads or low carbs, I'm normal weight and don't have diabetes and 68 yrs. Infact I love my carbs, bagels, rye bread, white bread, French bread,pizza--- All bread. I eat about 10 meals a week with bread. Would love a bread maker if I had a wife that would use it. I buy bread at the market and freeze it. My diet plan is pushing away from the table !
Captain Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:39 PM   #29
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Glenn View Post
I'm not into diet fads or low carbs
I'll second that. Life doesn't need a magic pill.
HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:58 PM   #30

City: San diego
Vessel Name: Dessert
Now a days you can't give peanuts to kids, shouldn't serve eggs or butter because of cholesterol,no eating of beef because cows fart and bad for the planet, bread is bad for you. Fish have mercury and soda makes you fat. Coffee,who knows what it does. Oh well I'll just sit in the bilge and eat my gruel.
Captain Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:21 PM   #31
Imp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Glenn View Post
Now a days you can't give peanuts to kids, shouldn't serve eggs or butter because of cholesterol,no eating of beef because cows fart and bad for the planet, bread is bad for you. Fish have mercury and soda makes you fat. Coffee,who knows what it does. Oh well I'll just sit in the bilge and eat my gruel.
My skipper spent 14 tours in SE Asia (supposedly Vietnam), eating some gawdawful things. One week he subsisted solely on rice bugs. He'll be 83 this fall. Wanna know what I feed him--whatever the heck he wants & wine to go with it.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:40 PM   #32

City: Punta Gorda
I use a bread machine.
amapola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:25 PM   #33
Guru

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
Oh, the woes of modern cruisers...the decisions one must submit to. We cruised 3 years without running water or refrigeration

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&cad=rja& uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiLtYjAgIjkAhXQg-AKHb6lDgEQFjALegQIDRAK&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtu be.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D9pAJ68XYHe0&usg=AOvVaw2GevdIX _3eztIf7Jw75F82

Back then, we also kept eggs for weeks by turning the carton over every few days -- can't do that today because it isn't safe.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:23 PM   #34
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedToTexas View Post
Do you guys who bake your own bread do so in the boat's oven or in a bread machine?
We are just beginning to explore the idea of making our own bread aboard... given our last trip down the ICW we learned good fresh bread is much more difficult to come by than something like beer.

Our initial thoughts, with no experience at all yet, are to use the existing convection oven... or whatever else we already have on board... to manage the appliance clutter.

"Whatever we have on board" alternatives could maybe include an existing stove-top "dutch oven" pot, or maybe an Instant Pot pressure cooker, maybe a slow cooker, maybe the Magma propane grill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
Most of us have galley ovens that use propane. Depending on your cruising grounds what is the supply of propane vs electric? Are you connected to shore power or having to produce your own?
SOME of us apparently have propane ovens. Having to produce our own electricity is trivial, since we have to do that to charger batteries, heat water, sometimes run the ACs/heaters, anyway

-Chris
Old 08-16-2019, 04:28 PM   #35
Imp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
Oh, the woes of modern cruisers...the decisions one must submit to. We cruised 3 years without running water or refrigeration

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&cad=rja& uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiLtYjAgIjkAhXQg-AKHb6lDgEQFjALegQIDRAK&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtu be.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D9pAJ68XYHe0&usg=AOvVaw2GevdIX _3eztIf7Jw75F82

Back then, we also kept eggs for weeks by turning the carton over every few days -- can't do that today because it isn't safe.
I cruised several years hand-pumping all water. That is actually my preference because it is easy & saves water. I added a plastic tube to the galley spigot so it could be used like a sprayer for rinsing dishes. Used a Sun Shower for bodies & hair. One gallon will do it all, including rinsing. No deprivation, no need for a water heater; just lots of fun.

Thanks for the How-To on steaming bread in a pressure cooker. You can also just bake on top of the stove without water without sealing the lid. That way you get crust.

Actually, you still can keep eggs without refrigeration. However, they should have never been refrigerated, so careful where you purchase. I used to buy them that way in Calif. supermarkets, but that was a long time ago. I recommend daily turning to keep air out of the shell, & do not wash until ready to use. To test before using, dunk in a small bowl of water. If the egg floats, discard because air has invaded the shell. If it sinks, cook it.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:37 PM   #36
Imp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
We are just beginning to explore the idea of making our own bread aboard... given our last trip down the ICW we learned good fresh bread is much more difficult to come by than something like beer.

Our initial thoughts, with no experience at all yet, are to use the existing convection oven... or whatever else we already have on board... to manage the appliance clutter.

"Whatever we have on board" alternatives could maybe include an existing stove-top "dutch oven" pot, or maybe an Instant Pot pressure cooker, maybe a slow cooker, maybe the Magma propane grill...

SOME of us apparently have propane ovens. Having to produce our own electricity is trivial, since we have to do that to charger batteries, heat water, sometimes run the ACs/heaters, anyway-Chris
Haven't tried a slow cooker, but all your other devices should bake good bread. I'd try the dutch oven first, with a trivet or something else to elevate your bread pan. Once you master basic bread making it is easier exploring other baking options. Again, confine your kneading mess by using a floured cloth on the counter or knead in a (preferably wooden) bowl. A glass or ceramic bowl will be cool & counteract the rising efforts of the yeast or other leavening agent.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:47 PM   #37
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
Quote:

cruised several years hand-pumping all water. That is actually my preference because it is easy & saves water. I added a plastic tube to the galley spigot so it could be used like a sprayer for rinsing dishes. Used a Sun Shower for bodies & hair. One gallon will do it all, including rinsing. No deprivation, no need for a water heater; just lots of fun. Quote

Hand pumping water? No refrigeration? No water heater?

Did I accidentally switch to a sailboaters forum?
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:53 PM   #38
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
I cruised several years hand-pumping all water. That is actually my preference because it is easy & saves water. I added a plastic tube to the galley spigot so it could be used like a sprayer for rinsing dishes. Used a Sun Shower for bodies & hair. One gallon will do it all, including rinsing. No deprivation, no need for a water heater; just lots of fun.

Actually, you still can keep eggs without refrigeration. However, they should have never been refrigerated, so careful where you purchase. I used to buy them that way in Calif. supermarkets, but that was a long time ago. I recommend daily turning to keep air out of the shell, & do not wash until ready to use. To test before using, dunk in a small bowl of water. If the egg floats, discard because air has invaded the shell. If it sinks, cook it.
Wifey B: Sorry, but that is deprivation to me. Hubby and I use about 30 gallons total to shower (we shower together). Sometimes more.

Seriously, showers are necessary luxuries to me and hubby is the same way.

As to eggs, eggs sold commercially in the US, Australia, Japan and Scandinavian countries must be refrigerated. The reason is they're sterilized before they're sold and that kills all bacteria on the shells. It also removed the cuticle from the shell, a protective layer. This increases the probability that any bacteria will penetrate the shell. In addition, once refrigerated, if then left out, moisture will form on the shell, further increasing the risk of bacteria penetrating. If you buy directly from the farm, eggs not sterilized or refrigerated, then fine not to refrigerate. Most other countries do not require refrigeration.

Only up to speed on my eggs because we're currently in a rural farm area and one of our city girls brought it up.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:35 PM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Parker, FL
Vessel Name: Cobie
Vessel Model: Cobia 220 Walk Around
'Lo All, One of my parents "favorite" stories of the depression era: They lived on a homestead in Washington state and grew most of what they needed. They had an abundance of eggs, but few folks could buy them. (They bartered some to get what they needed, but didn't grow.) One month, my Mom's diary said that they made a grand total, between them, of $0.05 - from selling eggs. They dipped the unsold eggs in waterglass. (Google that, I found: "Placing freshly laid eggs in a water glass solution seals the pores of the eggs against bacteria and gases, so it can be used to preserve eggs when refrigeration isn’t an option."). When folks started buying eggs again, they sold the "waterglassed" eggs first, then fresh eggs. When they started selling the fresh eggs, customers complained that they were not as good the eggs they had been buying earlier. Go figure!
Old 08-16-2019, 05:36 PM   #40
Guru

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
Quote:

Did I accidentally switch to a sailboaters forum?

For the 3 years we lived aboard the sailboat from New England to the Caribbean - we ran the motor for 80% of the miles we covered. Doesn't that qualify us as a trawler?
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote