Old 08-10-2019, 07:59 AM   #1
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
Oven or bread maker for fresh bread on board?

A beloved local bakery recently bit the dust which left us searching for good bread. There are lots of options in midwest suburbia, but it seems like the best option is to get good at making our own because that translates far better to eventual plans of living on board.

Do you guys who bake your own bread do so in the boat's oven or in a bread machine?
HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:29 AM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
When we cruised full time on a sailboat, we had a bread making machine. The oven would heat up the cabin too much. We would run it from the inverter while underway so the batteries were kept charged up while the bread mixed, rose, mixed and finally baked. Great bread!!

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #3
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Both.

My wife uses the bread maker to make the dough, then puts the dough into a bread pan and uses the convection oven (off inverter) to make the bread. Delicious too!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:44 AM   #4

City: USA
Vessel Model: 1983 Trojan F44 FBMY
Bread maker, definitely. We've had several over the years, just about any mid-priced model seems to work well. Just Google reviews, but it is so easy to throw in a few ingredients and hit a start button.

I second that the galley oven produces way too much heat for the process... which is why we use an air fryer onboard almost exclusively now...
Flybull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:54 AM   #5
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Most of us have galley ovens that use propane. Depending on your cruising grounds what is the supply of propane vs electric? Are you connected to shore power or having to produce your own? I would prefer a bread maker, love how simple it is to throw some ingredients in it and let it do it's thing. Comes out perfect every time!
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:43 AM   #6
Imp

City: Sneads Ferry NC
When living/cruising aboard I baked all my bread in a stovetop oven to avoid adding unnecessary heat to the salon. Mine had a glass lid so I cold view baking progress. Rachael Ray has an oval aluminum spaghetti cooker (Amazon) with a glass lid that would work well for baking bread with the addition of a metal or silicone interior base to lift the bread pan, though wadded up aluminum foil would work fine. I've used a bread machine on land, but did not like the hole in the middle of the loaf, so ended up just using it for mixing until the machine finally walked fatally itself off the counter while unattended. I would not like the power drain on a boat. TIP: Use a flour-coated piece of unbleached muslin (I serged the edges of mine) for kneading. Keep in a zippered plastic bag in-between uses until it really has to be washed. Keeps flour off the counters.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Both.

My wife uses the bread maker to make the dough, then puts the dough into a bread pan and uses the convection oven (off inverter) to make the bread. Delicious too!
We did the same thing when we were cruising in areas without stores. Left the French bread dough to rise and bake in the propane oven.

Made cinnamon roll and pizza dough too.

Now, we buy the refrigerated bread dough that comes in tubes and bake those in the oven.

And Costco has shelf stable (for 3 month) sour dough bread that we bake in the oven.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:05 PM   #8
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I will use a bread machine but just make a number of bread doughs and freeze them before baking. I have a dedicated freezer on my 29 foot boat so I will bring something like 6 along with me for a two week trip. Baking in the oven at anchor, if a hot day baking on the Weber bbq, when moored with electrical hookup, baked in my small convection oven.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:23 PM   #9
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I have an auto bread maker, but if I bake in the machine the paddle is still in the loaf. And the loaf is small and odd sized. So I mix in it and then move to a regular pan and bake in the oven. If there are other people on board, I quickly mix several loafs, transfer to pans, and let them rise and bake together. If I had a fancy mixer, I'd dump the bread maker.
I'm not a good cook or baker, so any info should be taken with a grain of sand.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:50 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: We don't make bread on the boat and very rarely ever eat any aboard.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:13 PM   #11
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
We've been using a bread machine at our dirt home for many years and will be purchasing one for the boat soon.
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:18 PM   #12
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
We use Force 10 oven.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:05 PM   #13
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Have a bread maker and used if for first few months but never use it anymore.
Better bread using cast iron pot with lid and bung it in the oven.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:48 AM   #14
FF
Guru

"Most of us have galley ovens that use propane. Depending on your cruising grounds what is the supply of propane?"

Propane usually lasts 2-3 months of cooking , with or without oven use. Most cruisers carry a second tank so running out is no horror.

In the Bahamas it may be a wait of a day or two for a refill, but inshore most gas stations have bottles to swop.

A folding grocery carrier can carry 2 - 20# bottles if you are walking.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:06 AM   #15
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
I use a food processor to make dough for bread and pizza. I bake the bread in an $80 Oster countertop oven. The bread dough goes into an earthenware covered vessel. It produces a very nice French loaf.

I bake my pizza in a Camp Chef domed pizza oven on a Camp Chef stove that I keep on the aft deck. The oven heats to 700 degrees but that's too hot.

For those who use their bread machines just to make dough I suggest you consider ditching it in favor of a food processor which probably takes up less space and then you end up with another valuable kitchen tool with no space penalty. Making dough in a food processor is quite easy. Takes 10 minutes including clean-up.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:58 AM   #16
Imp

City: Sneads Ferry NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
Most of us have galley ovens that use propane. Depending on your cruising grounds what is the supply of propane vs electric? Are you connected to shore power or having to produce your own? I would prefer a bread maker, love how simple it is to throw some ingredients in it and let it do it's thing. Comes out perfect every time!
In my experience, propane is available pretty much everywhere in the Western Hemisphere, though for convenience, I always carried a spare tank. It's really a simple & fun endeavor, well-suited to delicious experimentation. I use my lift-up KitchenAid mixer for kneading when ashore because I'm usually super-busy, but at sea, breadmaking is joyous recreation.

What is it with the fear of hands-on breadmaking that I sense coming from so many galleys? Perhaps it is akin to the too-prevalent fear of cooking anything other than (ugh) Minute Rice.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:45 AM   #17
Guru

No-knead method, baked in my Force-10 oven. I don’t want to carry single purpose appliances! I do a lot of baking onboard...
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:26 PM   #18
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
In my experience, propane is available pretty much everywhere in the Western Hemisphere, though for convenience, I always carried a spare tank. It's really a simple & fun endeavor, well-suited to delicious experimentation. I use my lift-up KitchenAid mixer for kneading when ashore because I'm usually super-busy, but at sea, breadmaking is joyous recreation.

What is it with the fear of hands-on breadmaking that I sense coming from so many galleys? Perhaps it is akin to the too-prevalent fear of cooking anything other than (ugh) Minute Rice.
Actually my wife prefers to make bread by hand. We use the bread machine for convenience
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #19

City: West Vancouver
Vessel Name: Ka Hale Kai
Vessel Model: 52' Cheoy Lee
Another vote for no knead bread.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...no-knead-bread

We bake it in a Princess Propane oven, cast iron pot. We don't like having to run a genset for cooking/baking so do everything via propane. A standard 35lb bottle lasts us months.
nmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
but at sea, breadmaking is joyous recreation.

Wifey B: Well, you and I certainly have different definitions of joyous recreation.

We just try to limit our bread and in turn our carbs. With the proliferation of low carb diets from Atkins to Paleo to Keto and the frequency of diabetes, I'm a little surprised at all the bread making taking place. That makes me curious, do most of you eat some form of bread with all meals or how many of your 21 meals a week include bread?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote