Old 03-13-2018, 01:17 PM   #1

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Outfitting the Tender

I was walking through the local West Marine about two weeks ago and I walked down the "anchor aisle." "Awww, look at these cute little anchors...."

And I realized I hadn't given any thought to outfitting the tender (Walker Bay Generation 400).

Does everyone have an anchor and some (probably) nylon rode in their tender? Seems like you'd want it in case the motor conks out?

Besides everyone in a PFD and a handheld VHF, maybe some basic binocs, what do you have in your tender/dinghy? I will probably go with a very basic Garmin chartplotter/depthfinder, the dash has room.

JustBob
M/V Mahalo - Blog
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #2
Guru

I have a plastic coated 8 lb mushroom anchor and about 20 ft of 1/4 nylon attached to it.
Oars are carried inside with factory straps to keep them out f the way.
PFDs when we use the dinghy, and maybe a bucket for treasures or to hold the extra beer, registration, noise making device (whistle), and a tiller extension.
If doing some exploration to new areas I may take the portable hummingbird.
Wife usually has her phone, sometimes I take mine.
This is an "open" 10.4 Achilles RIB.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:13 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
In my 9.5 ft Achilles, I carry a foot pump, small folding anchor in a bag, tiller extension, cellphone, VHF, PFDs, nav light and a multi-purpose tool. For extended trips, I add a portable charting GPS and a small cooler for drinks/sunscreen.

My devices go into a water tight bag. I have a bench cushion storage bag like this that holds most of the stuff.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #4
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
You definitely want a setting anchor if you are going to be anchoring out a lot. When you go to the beach or sandbar you are going to want to throw an anchor on to the sand or just off the beach.

There was a great article in a past PassageMaker about preparing your tender to cover times when you get caught out (outboard dies, left stranded by a low tide, etc. Will try and find it.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #5
Guru

City: Boston Area
I believe in MA all motor boats are required to have signaling devices, visual distress signal, fire ext. anchor and manual bailer.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:16 PM   #6
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
I believe in MA all motor boats are required to have signaling devices, visual distress signal, fire ext. anchor and manual bailer.
Yup though you don't need a fire extinguisher on a very small boat without a gas engine or without a built in fuel tank.

In my dinghy I carry a mushroom anchor and 50' of 1/4 line, oars, manual bilge pump, life jackets, a type 4 throwable which is required, foot pump inflator.
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:42 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
There is a comprehensive discussion on this topic here: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...y-36516-2.html
Old 03-13-2018, 05:58 PM   #8
Guru

City: Tavernier, FL
Vessel Name: Volans
Vessel Model: 2001 PDQ MV 32
we have a pretty large "tender", a 12' livingston, for a 40' boat. It is used for longer day trips as it's equipped with a 20 hp and can go almost triple the mother-ship's speed. We keep:
a tiny danforth with ~30' of....."line"
5 gal bucket
hand pump
garmin handheld gps
clamp-on, battery powered nav lights
life jackets for everyone
anywhere from (1) 3 gallon gas tank to 17 gallons of gas in 3 tanks (we've gone over 50 miles in 1 day in the small boat!!!)
it's got a bimini
1/2 gal or so of two stroke oil
paperwork and cellphones go in a plastic, waterproof, safety orange ammo box
I've mounted a small humminbird side scan transducer on the stern. the head unit and a small motor cycle battery are kept in a kitty litter box along with a lot of the smaller items above for theft-prevention(easily brought inside)
theres also a spare adjustable wrench, flathead, phillips, bait knife, batteries for gps, spark plugs, and a few miscellaneous fishing lures/ hooks/ weights bouncing around the bottom of the kitty litter box.

whew...I think thats everything....

Oh wait, sometimes we also throw the following in there (trip specific)
a small cooler full of.....ice.....
fishing rods
tackle box
net
camp chairs
umbrella
beach toys (volly ball, squirt guns)
dog
a friend or two

aaaannnddd......

yep, thats it...
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:07 PM   #9
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
We've always carried two anchors and rodes on the Whaler as one of its primary missions has been going to the beach. Stern anchor to the beach, preventing current from swinging the boat into deep water or neighboring boats.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:48 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I have a 14' AB aly RIB, with a 40 HP Honda. It is setup as an independent boat rather than as a tender, and is separately registered. The latter is required here if you are more than 3 nm from the mothership. I think this approach makes sense for a large boat. Of course you might also want a micro dingy as well for simple shore visits, which I don't have.

So my RIB has flares, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, EPIRB, spare fuel container, danforth with 150' rode, mushroom with 50' rode, Simrad NSS8 chartplotter, 6 PFD, VHF, foot pump, nav/anchor lights. I've just fitted a folding boarding ladder on the transom as well. I sometimes use it as a 'dive boat'.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:01 PM   #11
Guru

When going far on your dinghy, consider taking the ditch bag from the mothership.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:33 PM   #12
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I have a WB Generations 340. Insurance company considers it a boat. I have added the proper safety equipment, Fire Extinguisher, flares, VHF, PFDs, paddle, pump and air horn. I’ve also added fenders, anchor/rode, dock lines and a chart plotter. The boat has quite a large storage space.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:45 PM   #13
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
I have a 14' AB aly RIB, with a 40 HP Honda. It is setup as an independent boat rather than as a tender, and is separately registered. The latter is required here if you are more than 3 nm from the mothership. I think this approach makes sense for a large boat. Of course you might also want a micro dingy as well for simple shore visits, which I don't have.

So my RIB has flares, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, EPIRB, spare fuel container, danforth with 150' rode, mushroom with 50' rode, Simrad NSS8 chartplotter, 6 PFD, VHF, foot pump, nav/anchor lights. I've just fitted a folding boarding ladder on the transom as well. I sometimes use it as a 'dive boat'.
That's a big-ass dink! I grew up on much smaller fishing boats! In High School, a green 5HP Johnson SeaHorse was all I needed to have fun on the water. (I see these motors in maritime museums today! )

Today, my 9.5 Achilles with a choice of Honda 2HP 4-stroke or 15HP 2-stroke is what I enjoy for that personal experience in the friendly waters of the SF Bay and CA Delta.

I just picked up this dink float that seems to fit my dink perfectly. I just pull up onto the lift, step forward then onto the dock, and the dink and motor float clear of the water. It fits perfectly in my double slip.

If I want, I can safely run an hour up the Napa River to downtown Napa! I'm starting to formulate a plan...
Attached Thumbnails
dink lift.jpg  

Old 03-13-2018, 08:01 PM   #14
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
We have a 13' Whaler with a 40hp Merc 4-stroke that we use as its own boat most of the time. It has two 6 gallon gas tanks (10+ mpg), a cooler for a 2nd seat, fire extinguisher, 2 paddles, small first aid kit, inflatable pfd's for the two of us and extras are always available. No flares or other signals on board. It does have built in nav lights and also a Garmin DownVu Sonar/GPS/Plotter and a hand held VHF. There's a bow compartment that holds a fluke anchor with 20' of chain and 150' of 3/8" rode on a spool. (It's overkill but we anchor in the river where there's often a 2.5-4kt current.)

We also have an older 13' Whaler in AZ with a 40hp 2-stroke Evinrude. It's similarly equipped except for the oversize anchor. It's a more "normal" size anchor with about 6' of chain and 50' of 3/8" rode because we only use it on lakes..
Old 03-13-2018, 08:03 PM   #15
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
For our 13' RIB center console, one of the best things we've found is Anchor Buddy

Anchor Buddy
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:42 PM   #16
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Simmons View Post
For our 13' RIB center console, one of the best things we've found is Anchor Buddy

Anchor Buddy
Over our way,across "The Ditch"(aka the Tasman Sea), this is an "Anchor Buddy". Anchor Buddy - anchor weights made in New Zealand A proven anchor sentinel / kellet anchoring system.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:21 PM   #17
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Over our way,across "The Ditch"(aka the Tasman Sea), this is an "Anchor Buddy". Anchor Buddy - anchor weights made in New Zealand A proven anchor sentinel / kellet anchoring system.
That's a whole different Anchor Buddy.

I'd call that an Anchor Mate...you know what I mean, Mate?

Old 03-13-2018, 10:49 PM   #18
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
We have a Highfield Aluminum hull RIB with 40hp Yamaha. Dinghy carries a Mantus dinghy anchor (https://www.mantusmarine.com/product...dinghy-anchor/) with 100’ rope rode, flares, air horn, sunscreen, inflatable PFDs and towels. When we’re on the dinghy, we bring a handheld VHF and an iPad with Garmin Bluechart. If we might be out after dark, we bring a strong LED flashlight.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:42 AM   #19
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
That's a whole different Anchor Buddy.

I'd call that an Anchor Mate...you know what I mean, Mate?
I see it sells in North America as a "Kiwi Anchor Rider". Yahoo!! Likely the other product already registered the name.
There was one( the NZ kind) on my boat when I bought it,but the Aussie Sarca is so good I don`t bother with it.
BTW,in NZ,they use "bro", instead of "mate".
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:24 AM   #20
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
We're using the Anchor Buddy bungee in the Bahamas after having seen a cruising pal's in action. It's terrific! It holds the dink off the beach and keeps it from washing up. Our 10-6" Caribe RIB is heavy enough that beaching it creates potential back-wrenching effort trying to liberate it. The anchor buddy is perfect since it allows us to use a long line to shore that we can pull the dink in close to board. It stows well and is not prone to tangling, just stow it on a pile and go. Our sand spike is great for securing the shore end of the line without the hassle of stowing another anchor. There's already plenty of stuff on board! The bright color of the anchor buddy adds visibility when holding the stern off a dock as is SOP here. Big improvement in our dinghy trips!

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote