Outboards after saltwater use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I assume the engine does not have a small screw plug for the water chamber below the water pump as a Yamaha does, thus making it impossible to use a screw-in hose adapter?

Al, they used to make a 'Backflusher' which actually connected to the pee hole and you back flushed the motor with just water pressure. You could not run the motor when doing this so not sure how effective it was. I seem to remember them saying the pressure overcame the spring on the thermostat so did flush top end down. I will Google and see what I can find later today.

No, I have no fitting on the motor to accept a flush hose. That would be an improvement. I'll keep looking for a suitable alternative. Maybe I can fashion some sort of bracket to allow me to position the cup on the intake and clamp over the aft portion of the anti-cav plate.

Maybe I should remove the whale tail and test the dink performance. Those are usually used when the dink is underpowered to help with planing. My 9.5 ft dink is anything but underpowered. If it's not needed, I could use a standard flush accessory.

FlyWright, I bet you'll find the bow climbs for the sky and you need to shift weight forward to get on a plane. The little skiff I built last year would do that to the point I could not get it on a plane by myself. Put someone in the bow and it jumps on plane. I installed some spring loaded trim tabs, Smart Tabs, on the transom and it cured that problem. I think now I'll take off the tabs and add boxes on either side of the engine that will extend the bottom aft and increase floatation at the stern. My skiff is not under powered, it just needs more lift aft.

If you find that the bow is hard to get down after you take the wing off, consider installing Smart Tabs instead. They'll give your butt a lift and leave your engine clear for a flush attachment.

Parks, Like this?
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435188872.812216.jpg

Oliver, that's exactly the idea. Are you back from the Bahamas yet?

In a couple days, then we'll be heading back in August.

I always wanted to build one of those little skiff like I pictured.... Good luck on the extension.

FlyWright, I bet you'll find the bow climbs for the sky and you need to shift weight forward to get on a plane.

You might be right, Parks. I got this motor from my friend with the tail installed and have never tried it without the tail in place. I'll be out next month for an extended anchorage, so I'll mess with it a bit. I'll report back!

You might be right, Parks. I got this motor from my friend with the tail installed and have never tried it without the tail in place. I'll be out next month for an extended anchorage, so I'll mess with it a bit. I'll report back!

I'm with parks. When we re powered our 12' tender from a 40 Honda with a dolphin to a 40 Etec with no dolphin you can tell the difference.
We're putting a dolphin on it when we get home. The boat goes vertical for 3 or so seconds then plains out and that's with my modest 125lb self in the back. With a grown man in the back it'd get interesting.

Hey Marin,
How long would you say a "period of time" is? I've never run my outboards dry as I thought that lead to drying up of carny gaskets which crack and leak. I just bought a brand new Mercury 6hp 4 stroke and reading all of these comments about gumming up has me worried now so might start running dry?

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Hey Marin,
How long would you say a "period of time" is? I've never run my outboards dry as I thought that lead to drying up of carny gaskets which crack and leak. I just bought a brand new Mercury 6hp 4 stroke and reading all of these comments about gumming up has me worried now so might start running dry?

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
Climate/warmth probably has something to do with it and evaporation of the gas...

The ONLY time I had a problem is right now. My outboard gummed up in 2 months of 60 to 90 degree temps. Part of the problem was the age of the gas to begin with...it could have been as much as 6 months old. Usually that's not the problem...just the evaporation.

I'm with parks. When we re powered our 12' tender from a 40 Honda with a dolphin to a 40 Etec with no dolphin you can tell the difference.
We're putting a dolphin on it when we get home. The boat goes vertical for 3 or so seconds then plains out and that's with my modest 125lb self in the back. With a grown man in the back it'd get interesting.

Oliver what you really need is a longer boat .. not a "Dolphin". Long boats rule, Short boats squat.

Length has only as much to do with it as buoyancy....and how it balances the load.

That's why the motor in a well designs are popular to offset the weight of motor and operator.

I have a long narrow 12 footer that just moving weight forward just a tad makes all the difference.

Oliver what you really need is a longer boat .. not a "Dolphin". Long boats rule, Short boats squat.

My reasoning is: a bigger one can't fit on the deck. For a bigger one to fit in the deck we'd have to spend around 2.3 million to upgrade to a larger boat plus 30k for the longer tender.

So the 40 dollar dolphin will do.

:D

Just another opinion:

I run my O.B out of fuel - had trouble with gum and float sticking unless done.
I use either Stabil or Seafoam.
I flush the cooling system periodically-especially at winterizing time plus a fogging.
I use non ethanol gas from the local car stations; 92/94 octane.

My '94 yamaha 8hp may do fine on the ethanol but untill I'm forced to I don't intend to find out. Too many people I know have had trouble and once they understood about the ethanol laced fuel with older O.B and quit its use, then the engines ran fine. It may have something to do with not enough use and too much fuel in jug storage so the fuel ages too much but for now I'll stick with 92/94 octane. Not hard to find.

Doesn't mean the little devil hasn't needed other service as I'm finding right now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom