Old 06-23-2015, 10:04 AM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Marin,
I read it "We run all our outboards, 2-cycle and 4-cycle, on non-ethanol fuel (as we do with our lawnmower, home generator, etc.) That alone make a huge difference in the reliability and longevity of the motor in terms of running properly." The same way and wondered about that. Re lubrication I definitely don't think it's an issue. Not at all.

Peter B,
I'd love one of those little Honda's but I don't think I could stand the racket. Flywright thinks I'm noise sensitive ... probably am. Perhaps I should just buck up and get one. Used to hate that expression "buck up". Lots of other people seem to like them as I see on Craig's List they are not cheap to buy used. I have a water cooled Yamadog 2hp so I'll wear that one out first. I think it's the same weight as the Honda though (27lbs) and I can lay it down anywichway. Not too noisy at half throttle but I can row that fast .... rev it up for that great top end rush (one more hp) and it may be close to the Honda for noise. Can't afford a new engine now anyway.

jleonard,
Your post #19 seems a big plug for Staybil. Glad to hear it. For all our domestic engines (lawn mowers ect) we use the alchol free gas but during the "season" perhaps we don't need it. Think I'll use alchol free gas and Stabil for winter though. Run dry also.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:45 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
Eric-- Our outboards run okay on ethanol fuel, it's the not-running that's the problem. Ethanol fuel separates pretty quickly and starts to gum up things like carburetor jets, float bowls, and the entire fuel system in general. That's why it's very beneficial to run the motors dry before any period of non-use.

Using non-ethanol fuel probably reduces the need to run motors dry between periods of use other than longer lay-ups. But we still do it with our motors.

We use Stabil in our non-ethanol fuel but not in ethanol fuel. It was some years ago but the outboard tech at Jacobsen Boats and Motors in Ballard (they've since moved to Edmonds) gave me a lengthy discourse on fuels and additives. According to him ethanol fuel actually prevents things like Stabili from working and in fact the use of Stabil results in accelerated separaration. I have no idea if he was correct but once we found an easy source of ethanol-free fuel it wasn't something we were concerned about.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:57 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
We use Stabil in our non-ethanol fuel but not in ethanol fuel. It was some years ago but the outboard tech at Jacobsen Boats and Motors in Ballard (they've since moved to Edmonds) gave me a lengthy discourse on fuels and additives. According to him ethanol fuel actually prevents things like Stabili from working and in fact the use of Stabil results in accelerated separaration. I have no idea if he was correct but once we found an easy source of ethanol-free fuel it wasn't something we were concerned about.
Marin that's funny (ironically) because my nephew who worked for a local John Deere dealer at the time went to a class and they said Stabil was a good additive for ethanol...but of course the JD additive was better.
I just know it has appeared to work for me.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:29 PM   #24
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
I'll chime in here. We bought our Whaler 1-year ago new. The dealer (MarineMax) advised us to add Stabil to every fill up especially to ethanol containing fuels. The Merc owners' manual states that the motor(s) is designed to accept ethanol fuels safely. The motor is a 25 hp Merc 4 stroke. I've been doing that as directed. Have not been flushing with fresh water but I will in the future as it certainly can't hurt. I have never run the motor dry.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:39 PM   #25
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
I always flush my E-Tec's from the screw in hose adapter for about 10 minutes and done. That's for a 40HP and 115HP though. Never run them out of fuel. Seems to work just fine and they always start up. But I never run them w/ethanol gasoline, Only rec 90.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #26
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
Never done anything, just run it. If its gonna set awhile I run some Stabil thru it. I really dont like running a two stroke out of gas (oil?) but a lot of folks do it. I have flushed a few with Muratic or similar, especially if overheating was a problem. Changed lots of thermostats.
Pretty much our program to for our 2 stroke Mercury 40hp. It's been very heavily used, all salt water. Never flushed it once myself in going on 8 years now. I do have it serviced about once a year or so. I am embarrassed to say how abused this motor has been but the damn thing keeps running like a top. May be that running it is the secret.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:01 PM   #27
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Stabil like most additives has been modified since the advent of ethanol gas.

Some brands have different products for different fuels..gotta read the label.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:19 PM   #28
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
I take my 2 hp dinghy outboard off and rinse and dry it after every use. I never flush it since it doesn't have a cooling system. I store it in the lazarette between uses. I have never had a problem with fuel and I don't use any additives. It starts immediately even after a winter sitting in storage. I have had it for 5 years and have never had it serviced. Never a problem.

It is a Torqeedo
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:31 PM   #29
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
The outboard maintenance guys I have talked to stressed what Marin said: run the outboard out of fuel when not in use. I use Mercury Quickare #1 as fuel treatment, 'cause that's what the Mercury guys said to use. Evidently this stuff has sufficient stabilization for a year, but I won't keep my fuel for the new year. Fuel without ethanol is mostly unavailable in BC.

I have a 10 gal container that has a hose attachment, and I run water through my me fine when I can when cruising. I figure I can use it 4 times before it runs out. If it's raining I can fill it with water running off the boat deck. Best I can do.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:33 PM   #30
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
Fuel without ethanol is mostly unavailable in BC.
Chevron 94 is still ethanol free in BC. One of the few.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:38 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I assume the engine does not have a small screw plug for the water chamber below the water pump as a Yamaha does, thus making it impossible to use a screw-in hose adapter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
Al, they used to make a 'Backflusher' which actually connected to the pee hole and you back flushed the motor with just water pressure. You could not run the motor when doing this so not sure how effective it was. I seem to remember them saying the pressure overcame the spring on the thermostat so did flush top end down. I will Google and see what I can find later today.
No, I have no fitting on the motor to accept a flush hose. That would be an improvement. I'll keep looking for a suitable alternative. Maybe I can fashion some sort of bracket to allow me to position the cup on the intake and clamp over the aft portion of the anti-cav plate.

Maybe I should remove the whale tail and test the dink performance. Those are usually used when the dink is underpowered to help with planing. My 9.5 ft dink is anything but underpowered. If it's not needed, I could use a standard flush accessory.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:16 PM   #32
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
FlyWright, I bet you'll find the bow climbs for the sky and you need to shift weight forward to get on a plane. The little skiff I built last year would do that to the point I could not get it on a plane by myself. Put someone in the bow and it jumps on plane. I installed some spring loaded trim tabs, Smart Tabs, on the transom and it cured that problem. I think now I'll take off the tabs and add boxes on either side of the engine that will extend the bottom aft and increase floatation at the stern. My skiff is not under powered, it just needs more lift aft.

If you find that the bow is hard to get down after you take the wing off, consider installing Smart Tabs instead. They'll give your butt a lift and leave your engine clear for a flush attachment.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:34 PM   #33
Guru

Parks, Like this?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435188872.812216.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	41386
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 06-24-2015, 07:40 PM   #34
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Oliver, that's exactly the idea. Are you back from the Bahamas yet?
Old 06-24-2015, 07:43 PM   #35
Guru

In a couple days, then we'll be heading back in August.

I always wanted to build one of those little skiff like I pictured.... Good luck on the extension.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 06-24-2015, 07:57 PM   #36
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
FlyWright, I bet you'll find the bow climbs for the sky and you need to shift weight forward to get on a plane.
You might be right, Parks. I got this motor from my friend with the tail installed and have never tried it without the tail in place. I'll be out next month for an extended anchorage, so I'll mess with it a bit. I'll report back!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:18 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
You might be right, Parks. I got this motor from my friend with the tail installed and have never tried it without the tail in place. I'll be out next month for an extended anchorage, so I'll mess with it a bit. I'll report back!

I'm with parks. When we re powered our 12' tender from a 40 Honda with a dolphin to a 40 Etec with no dolphin you can tell the difference.
We're putting a dolphin on it when we get home. The boat goes vertical for 3 or so seconds then plains out and that's with my modest 125lb self in the back. With a grown man in the back it'd get interesting.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 06-26-2015, 11:05 AM   #38
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Hey Marin,
How long would you say a "period of time" is? I've never run my outboards dry as I thought that lead to drying up of carny gaskets which crack and leak. I just bought a brand new Mercury 6hp 4 stroke and reading all of these comments about gumming up has me worried now so might start running dry?

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
Old 06-26-2015, 11:11 AM   #39
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
Hey Marin,
How long would you say a "period of time" is? I've never run my outboards dry as I thought that lead to drying up of carny gaskets which crack and leak. I just bought a brand new Mercury 6hp 4 stroke and reading all of these comments about gumming up has me worried now so might start running dry?

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
Climate/warmth probably has something to do with it and evaporation of the gas...

The ONLY time I had a problem is right now. My outboard gummed up in 2 months of 60 to 90 degree temps. Part of the problem was the age of the gas to begin with...it could have been as much as 6 months old. Usually that's not the problem...just the evaporation.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:15 PM   #40
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
I'm with parks. When we re powered our 12' tender from a 40 Honda with a dolphin to a 40 Etec with no dolphin you can tell the difference.
We're putting a dolphin on it when we get home. The boat goes vertical for 3 or so seconds then plains out and that's with my modest 125lb self in the back. With a grown man in the back it'd get interesting.
Oliver what you really need is a longer boat .. not a "Dolphin". Long boats rule, Short boats squat.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote