Old 08-31-2014, 01:20 PM   #61
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
OB's have one distinct advantage. Aixnything that goes wrong with it can be fixed with the "four bolt tuneup"!!!
Quite frankly, this is one of the things that most appeal to me. An engine at $3k with a five year guarantee is essentially disposable. $600 a year is $50 a month for a motor. When I do the math on Seaweed's Beast (the gasoline monster) followed by BOB (blown bearing, etc.) ... well...

At present we are working with a much newer Kubota (from Yanmar Tractors/Parts/Service) and all is progressing well. Just this past Thursday we (that's the "royal" we, in that I mean my mechanic) located the flywheel needed for just $50 on eBay. Still gathering all required to turn this 18hp into a marine motor.

I am blessed.
But being able to unbolt and have fixed has definite appeal. Or, being able to get myself out of harms way -- an auxilary motor can do that too. The outboard isn't a today, or even next year event. But some day... well, yes.

In the meantime, I'm semi-actively searching for the motor mount so that part will be on hand when needed.
That's life from Carrabelle.

Oh, and here's a sneak peek at my new engine when it arrived:

Old 08-31-2014, 01:38 PM   #62
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
Quite frankly, this is one of the things that most appeal to me. An engine at $3k with a five year guarantee is essentially disposable. $600 a year is $50 a month for a motor. When I do the math on Seaweed's Beast (the gasoline monster) followed by BOB (blown bearing, etc.) ... well...

At present we are working with a much newer Kubota (from Yanmar Tractors/Parts/Service) and all is progressing well. Just this past Thursday we (that's the "royal" we, in that I mean my mechanic) located the flywheel needed for just $50 on eBay. Still gathering all required to turn this 18hp into a marine motor.

I am blessed.
But being able to unbolt and have fixed has definite appeal. Or, being able to get myself out of harms way -- an auxilary motor can do that too. The outboard isn't a today, or even next year event. But some day... well, yes.

In the meantime, I'm semi-actively searching for the motor mount so that part will be on hand when needed.
That's life from Carrabelle.

Oh, and here's a sneak peek at my new engine when it arrived:

Remember that the OB leg should be as close to the transom as possible, otherwise it will suck air (ventilate) upstream of the prop, as there is massive suction in this area with a fast turning prop like a fine pitch OB revving at 3500revs. That's no problem with a flat bottomed or vee section OB bracket that goes down to the bottom of the transom; this will allow you to tilt up the motor.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:46 PM   #63
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
RustyB- Yep you have shown what is the standard conversion here in Southeast Alaska. There are any number of similar outfitted conversions. While you are showing a "New" application, we (U.S) have many.
Grady White as an example, is a leader in this field.
In the end it is what "Turns your Crank" on boating.

CP-Okay, now I see the relationship. The subject had Rusty known, would have/should have begun in one of the two catagory instead of "General Discussion":dance;

Good point for future submissions-Thanks
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:13 PM   #64
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
RustyB- Yep you have shown what is the standard conversion here in Southeast Alaska. There are any number of similar outfitted conversions. While you are showing a "New" application, we (U.S) have many.
Grady White as an example, is a leader in this field.
In the end it is what "Turns your Crank" on boating.

CP-Okay, now I see the relationship. The subject had Rusty known, would have/should have begun in one of the two catagory instead of "General Discussion":dance;

Good point for future submissions-Thanks
Just looking at the Grady 33 canon. It weighs 4 tons, that sure is heavy in comparison to the alloy boat in post 1 which weighed about 3 tons.

Question : do you think the alloy 32' in post 1 is too light to operate as a sea boat?
How do Grady's go at displ. Speeds: do they have the ' vee weave'?
Old 08-31-2014, 04:10 PM   #65
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Is an outboard motor a good power choice for a trawler? Well, let's look at how many trawlers are or were offered by the manufacturer with outboard power. Very, very few and they are all really small trawlers. Rosborough comes to mind.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:48 PM   #66
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Is an outboard motor a good power choice for a trawler? Well, let's look at how many trawlers are or were offered by the manufacturer with outboard power. Very, very few and they are all really small trawlers. Rosborough comes to mind.
I agree in principle with what you're saying, but let me put my case

I Can't afford a recent model of trawler.
Buying an Old trawler could be buying someone else's problems.
I've heard horror stories of expensive custom made bits for out of production engines/new gearboxes/ heat exchangers/ rebuilt turbo's/diesel tanks / etc.

For say $100k:
I can buy a fabricated alloy hull 32' $64k
Fitting out home made windows: $3k
Outboard Suzuki 300 hp single $30k
Rigging steering etc: $1k

Let's call it $100k for brand knew 2014 boat with brand new outboard Vs 20 year old GB 32 with old redundant engines and jaded interior.....

Which do you choose?
Old 08-31-2014, 05:02 PM   #67
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybarge View Post
I agree in principle with what you're saying, but let me put my case

I Can't afford a recent model of trawler.
Buying an Old trawler could be buying someone else's problems.
I've heard horror stories of expensive custom made bits for out of production engines/new gearboxes/ heat exchangers/ rebuilt turbo's/diesel tanks / etc.

For say $100k:
I can buy a fabricated alloy hull 32' $64k
Fitting out home made windows: $3k
Outboard Suzuki 300 hp single $30k
Rigging steering etc: $1k

Let's call it $100k for brand knew 2014 boat with brand new outboard Vs 30 year old GB 32 with old redundant engines and jaded interior.....

Which do you choose?

Well you asked, I chose the GB. Trusted and true and fits the boating I do.

Sorry but you asked, I have an outboard where it belongs on my 20" Pathfinder, and a 30 year old diesel on the forward end of my prop-shaft on the Pilgrim.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:06 PM   #68
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
Well you asked, I chose the GB. Trusted and true and fits the boating I do.

Sorry but you asked, I have an outboard where it belongs on my 20" Pathfinder, and a 30 year old diesel on the forward end of my prop-shaft on the Pilgrim.

I'm not proposing putting an outboards on a GB!!!
Old 08-31-2014, 05:13 PM   #69
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:27 PM   #70
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Just in case you missed the first post: 32 FT Commercial Crab Boat (1442) | Aluminum Boat Plans & Designs by Specmar

The boat in question, is it a trawler? It's light at only 3 tons, but it has the reverse tilted windows, looks like a commercial boat, is used by bona fide fishermen to make their living.

Has a GB ever been used as a beam trawler to drag nets over the sea bed?
Is it a commercial trawler design? Do lots of fishermen use them for fishing?

I'd say the crab boat is more of a trawler than the GB, and it's specifically designed for OB's even though it's designed for professional users.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:40 PM   #71
Guru

Quote:
Just in case you missed the first post: 32 FT Commercial Crab Boat (1442) | Aluminum Boat Plans & Designs by Specmar

The boat in question, is it a trawler? It's light at only 3 tons, but it has the reverse tilted windows, looks like a commercial boat, is used by bona fide fishermen to make their living.

Has a GB ever been used as a beam trawler to drag nets over the sea bed?
Is it a commercial trawler design? Do lots of fishermen use them for fishing?

I'd say the crab boat is more of a trawler than the GB, and it's specifically designed for OB's even though it's designed for professional users.

Ok if that is what you think, so be it. I really don't understand the question, if you like the boat and it fits you're mission the go for it.

Whats the problem, are you looking for validation or a support group??

Who cares about nets dragging, are you going to drag nets??

Are you fishing or cruising???

Old 08-31-2014, 06:42 PM   #72
Guru

Quote:

I'm not proposing putting an outboards on a GB!!!

I know
Old 08-31-2014, 06:54 PM   #73
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
I would also draw the comparison between an 'ordinary' outboard that operates at trolling speed for extended periods. It is found more economical to actually fix a lower HP on to troll around at 6 knots or so and alleviate the low rpm main engine abuse. Then when you want to 'run home' from the fishing grounds you use the high speed engine.

The main distinction being, on a trawler you 'rush home' at the same 6 knots that you were fishing at!
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:54 PM   #74
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Peter....whatever you do, don't make this thread a debate on what boat is closer to a trawler. To use a phrase coined by Marin, there are more "wannabe" trawlers out there than real ones. The subject being....what boat of your choices and options would serve you best. You make a good point about having a newer vessel that would be somewhat "trawler like", but even more important, would serve you better. The choices between the GB and the vessel you are suggesting are pretty extreme. I'd take the GB also. It's the style of boating.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:10 PM   #75
Al
Guru

Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
I'm out of here !
Old 08-31-2014, 07:24 PM   #76
Al
Guru

Peter,
Okay, darn it, I am back!! Here is a site reflecting the post of #1.
Will this manufacture construct a boat to meet your critieria Peter? Maybe and maybe you can find a builder or constructed boat similar.
Run it at a slow RPM and the sea quality will reflect a SD hull. That is what I see here in Alaska where these style boats are used for commercial
and family pleasure.
By the way, the 32 foot Grand Bank is a single. If it is 20 years old I would think it is fiberglass, could be wrong on that.
Al

Tuff Boat Welded aluminum boats for work and fishing

After saying "Out of here" switched to our local online news blog site. found this advertisement currently in our area for sale.

21FT ALUMINUM TUFF BOAT
ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES!

-GARMIN GPS
-GARMIN SOUNDER
-HONDA POT PULLER
-NEW TRAILER
=95HP HONDA 4 STROKE
=5HP 4 STOKE HONDA
- MUCH MORE

PRICE: 20K (DEAL OF THE SEASON)
Old 08-31-2014, 07:33 PM   #77
Al
Guru

Another boat for sale on our local online blog site:
A common conversion of a former I/O boat to OB. So common as to not be unusual as a first choice over new engine/outdrive.

Staying with my 6.plus knot pocket trawler, like the comfort, time on the water watching and enjoying the passing shoreline with my Sirius radio ear head set tuned to Willie's Road House, cup of "gas boat" coffee.
So much is missed pounding through the water watching for drift and raising hell on the kidneys. Just saying.
Al

Boat for Sale
26 foot Olympic XL Hardtop with 225 hp Honda Outboard (20 hours) and 15 hp High Thrust Honda Kicker. Both Engines excellent condition & just like new! Both with 3 year warranty remaining. Rigged for sportfishing / dual station hydraulic steering. Includes Scotty Pro-Pak Downriggers, King 3-axle Galvanized Trailer in very good condition. New Stand-up Head. Lots of gear and too many extras to list. $35,000.00 OBO call 617-2413 Serious inquiries only.

Posted: Sat, 30 Aug. 2014
Expires: Mon, 29 Sep. 2014
Old 08-31-2014, 07:47 PM   #78
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Al, nothing at all wrong with the aluminum work boats you or the op brought up. But if you or he think they will give their optimum ride quality in lumpy water at 6 knots you are both kidding yourself. They are all planing hulls and as the owner of a planing hull can tell you that while they can run 6 knots all day every day when the water is calm, they are going to ride much better at the higher speed they are designed for when conditions get lumpy. Planing hulls are great for short weather window running or getting outta Dodge before the weather lands. But the only way to keep from falling out of your helm chair in snotty weather is to speed up or buckle a seat belt and my Owens ain't got seat belts.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:14 PM   #79
Al
Guru

Right CP. As I struggle along at 6 knots in a 27 foot boat in 3 foot seas, that aluminum boat with 300 plus hp is crashing along at 20 plus. They rarely drop down to displacement mode. At least not in my part of the country, full balls ahead!!!! No seat belts or comfortable helm seats, Sea Hawks seat cushion maybe , hanging on and a hearty wave as they fly by.
Two worlds CP. I do not have a planning hull. My hull it is a never going to exceed 7 knots with a fair tide. You have a hull that given the go ahead, would make a respectful 12-14 knots I'd suspect.
I'd agree if you were popping along at that speed you would be miserable as I am at the 5-6 knots, however were we side by side when that big 30 foot size aluminum hull came whipping by at that 20 plus knots, that captain would still wave at both of us!!
I think CP, we agree just with different strokes.
Al
Old 08-31-2014, 08:18 PM   #80
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Here's the Rosborough 246 and the Motorcat MC-30.
That Roseborough is a lot of boat in 24'. I have seen them up and down the ICW. Covered aft decks with room for dinghy and kayaks on the roof. Decent accommodations. A four stroke outboard would be my choice of power. Quiet and economical cruising.

https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote