Old 09-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #101
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Actually, Eric, the beauty of the I/O conversion to outboard power is being able to keep the full transom with no cut out. Usually the outboard sits on a bracket attached to the transom completely outside the boat. Look at how the Roseborough engine is mounted.

Yes,having the OB on a bracket makes fishing a breeze, and opens up the whole aft area.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1409583244.934828.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	32561

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:23 AM   #102
Veteran Member

City: Charleston to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Adirondack
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Trawlers Midwest has one of their own design, powered by a Merc outboard. Simple, but elegant in its own right. Trailerable, also.

jjanacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #103
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Actually I'm just jealous because I didn't think of it first.

Seriously I could do that to my own 18.5' OB boat. But I'm already dealing w an aft CG problem as the helmsman and first passenger need to sit way fwd to trim properly and the ride is rather rough up there. I'd need to move the fuel tanks up under the foredeck if I was to balance the boat and move the seats aft some. Look at N4712's picture and see how far aft the CG is w the engine that far out back.

However if you're converting an IO to a OB on a bracket boat the CG may not change that much as the IO's engine is/was so heavy. Especially if the original IO boat was overpowered ... and many or most were/are. I have a Winner 18 and most W18's were probably IO's so the bracket conversion may .. Just may not be so bad. Especially if I had a 2stroke OB. But still bad IMO.

Most people aren't very concerned about CG but I am. For a planing boat I still think the boat w an inboard engine is best. I've seen inboards w a high speed shaft from the back of the engine to an IO leg on the transom. One was a heavily built (about 34') boat w an unusually large leg. Could have been a trawler. But it eats up more boat space. But has great possibilities ... Perhaps for trawlers.

Small older outboards w/o much of a "well" or "slop tray" were fine until first the deep Vee hulls requiring the engine to be mounted considerably lower and then the weight of outboards over the 4 stroke issue kinda sold the outboard boat down the river so to speak. The 6cylinder Merc OBs didn't help either w the very tall engine requiring lots of room in the tilted position. But thankfully they probably don't build boats to fit the tall Merc's anymore.

For a trawler having the engine full aft results in a light boat because it's an OB and even lighter fwd because the engine's are aft. Not a good formula for beating into head seas. May bring a new meaning to "beating".
And in following seas balance is even more important. A light bow could be all over the place and there's that heavy stern deep in the water where a wave can get a good hold on it and have it's way w the boat.

The more I think about it the less I like the OB trawler idea.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #104
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I would say if one wants a bigger boat, the simplest and most practical solution is t sell the too small boat and buy a bigger boat.
That's far to simple!
Old 09-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #105
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Have to give Psneeld a chuckle, Recently returned from a voyage to Wrangell, Alaska about 85 miles one way. While there a commercial Gill Netter tied up close by. It is a 34 foot CHB trawler. The owner has the aft cabin removed and the gill net reel assembly installed. Now that is good thinking. The CHB appeared an older model. The owner has acquired a modest priced hull with known reliable engine.
In the overall the rig surely did not look out of place among the fishing fleet as many of the current commercial boats are in reverse, converted to pleasure use.

I echo Manyboats- RustyBarge your created forum subject is interesting, your inquiries are stimulating.

Being an adoped child raised as a "Swede" and later finding my birth Mother to learn I am 100% Irish make reading you makes the world smaller and warmer.

AN IRISH FRIENDSHIP WISH:

I hope it works...

May there alw ays be work for your hands to do;

May your purse always hold a coin or two;

May the sun always shine on your windowpane;

May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain;

May the hand of a friend always be near you;
May God fill your heart with love
Al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:41 PM   #106
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Have to give Psneeld a chuckle, Recently returned from a voyage to Wrangell, Alaska about 85 miles one way. While there a commercial Gill Netter tied up close by. It is a 34 foot CHB trawler. The owner has the aft cabin removed and the gill net reel assembly installed. Now that is good thinking. The CHB appeared an older model. The owner has acquired a modest priced hull with known reliable engine.
In the overall the rig surely did not look out of place among the fishing fleet as many of the current commercial boats are in reverse, converted to pleasure use.

I echo Manyboats- RustyBarge your created forum subject is interesting, your inquiries are stimulating.

Being an adoped child raised as a "Swede" and later finding my birth Mother to learn I am 100% Irish make reading you makes the world smaller and warmer.

I hope it works...

As John Wayne said in The Quiet Man: " The top of the morning to you"

The land of saints and scholars, or as the locals see it ' whores and robbers'.

...just joking; or maybe not!
Old 09-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #107
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:

I hope it works...

OK good one...so we have a GB "troller" and a CHB "gillnetter:...both of which my dingy can do under oars...

Man.... where are the TRAWLERS that look like our avatars????

Get out there and scour the earth...oh...never mind...anyone in the southeast on the ICW can take a nice snapshot of an outboard powered Shrimp Trawler.....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #108
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
How about an outboard powered motor yacht?

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1409591725.838368.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	32563

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #109
Guru

24 passenger vessel: twin 300hp/ 35'

24 Passenger Outboard Catamaran

Survey vessel: twin 225 hp OB.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #110
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Yep Peter, tons or "tonns" of similar craft in Southeast Alaska. The largest manufacture of aluminum boats in Alaska is in Wrangell.

You are driving Psneeld wild!! His above response had me rolling on the floor, it is a beaut!

"OK good one...so we have a GB "troller" and a CHB "gillnetter:...both of which my dingy can do under oars...

Get out there and scour the earth...oh...never mind...anyone in the southeast on the ICW can take a nice snapshot of an outboard powered Shrimp Trawler.....
psneeld is online now Report Post
Al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:42 PM   #111
Guru

Quote:
Yep Peter, tons or "tonns" of similar craft in Southeast Alaska. The largest manufacture of aluminum boats in Alaska is in Wrangell.

You are driving Psneeld wild!! His above response had me rolling on the floor, it is a beaut!

"OK good one...so we have a GB "troller" and a CHB "gillnetter:...both of which my dingy can do under oars...

psneeld is online now Report Post

Thanks for that link, love this 38' twin 350hp water jet....
....err, slightly out of my price bracket.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #112
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
With enough money you can do just about anything. This passed us on the Potomac River in Maryland. I believe it belongs to the US Army

I would hate to pay the fuel bill. Oh wait; As a taxpayer I am paying the fuel bill.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Chesapeake 015.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	32564  
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:16 PM   #113
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Craig (Cpseudonym) could have an OB powered trawler.

Find the 40hp OB with the biggest prop and lowest gear ratio. Order it w the longest lower unit available. Modify the stern to accommodate the OB and away he goes.

With the lightweight plywood hull and the removal of the big heavy inboard engine hull speed will be easily reached ... probably continuously. Sure a planing hull requires twice the power to go at displacement speed but the lightness of the hull will require less than half the power. A 40hp OB should push that boat of his for considerably less than 2 gph.

Would be a little squirrelly in a windy harbor but it should be easier to control than the inboard w it's small prop and tiny rudder. Just think'in.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #114
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Could work Eric but Bliss has a very heavy fiberglass hull, over an inch thick actually. The plywood hulled boats are much lighter than this one.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #115
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Craig (Cpseudonym) could have an OB powered trawler.

Find the 40hp OB with the biggest prop and lowest gear ratio. Order it w the longest lower unit available. Modify the stern to accommodate the OB and away he goes.

With the lightweight plywood hull and the removal of the big heavy inboard engine hull speed will be easily reached ... probably continuously. Sure a planing hull requires twice the power to go at displacement speed but the lightness of the hull will require less than half the power. A 40hp OB should push that boat of his for considerably less than 2 gph.

Would be a little squirrelly in a windy harbor but it should be easier to control than the inboard w it's small prop and tiny rudder. Just think'in.
+1
I agree, it needs very little power to push a boat at 5 or 6 kts; it doesn't matter how much it weighs.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:19 PM   #116
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybarge View Post
+1
I agree, it needs very little power to push a boat at 5 or 6 kts; it doesn't matter how much it weighs.
Don't forget the effects of wind and current.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:28 PM   #117
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Labeling a fast, light-weight boat a trawler is a disservice.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:57 PM   #118
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Labeling a fast, light-weight boat a trawler is a disservice.
To whom?

Linnaeus? I thought he stopped at rocks after he boogered that attempt all up.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #119
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I would say if one wants a bigger boat, the simplest and most practical solution is t sell the too small boat and buy a bigger boat.
You should know better than to try to inject logic and common sense into these kinds of discussions, Ron.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #120
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Here is the thing, new modern 4stroke outboards cost almost $100 per horsepower with a best case lifespan of 6000 hours, used daily like on a tour boat with super maintaince perhaps on the outside 9000 hours. In the end the diesel is now cheaper last longer and you get more hp per dollar, and you do not have gasoline aboard.. I do love4 stroke outboards though. Smooth, quite, just nice.

Mule is online now   Reply With Quote