Old 10-18-2014, 09:57 PM   #181
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
While in route from Indiantown FL to Stuart, FL on the east coast, I came across this backyard built, trailer-able trawlette set up for single or twin outboards. All glass, it must have been a lot of careful labor, but it was on its way to Indiantown to be sold. Reportedly, the hull design is a proven Wellcraft 25. No more to be built, so the owner/builder says...so, one of a kind.
Wonder what inside looks like?

Wonder cruise and top speeds?

Best mileage at hull speed or just below using one o/b?

Seems it could be a fairly nice pocket trawler!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:17 AM   #182

City: Kalamazoo
The pictures in the OP seem to me to be very similar to an alaskan pilot house offshore such as a wooldridge or duckworth or kingfisher and so on.

Fish Catcher Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:18 PM   #183
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Wonder what inside looks like?

Wonder cruise and top speeds?

Best mileage at hull speed or just below using one o/b?

Seems it could be a fairly nice pocket trawler!
Art: Inside is unfinished, although walls are there to do what you wish. Handling and speed, who knows, but a heavy 25 ft. Wellcraft might be similar in behavior. The whole thing seems to be of good quality build.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:35 PM   #184
Veteran Member

City: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Vessel Model: Hot Air Balloon for Now
Old thread but if someone else comes upon it like me they may want to scoot over to this new one.

New Trawler Build: Introduction and First Question
IronZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:38 AM   #185
FF
Guru

IF you want a boat that can either have the engine easily changed or converted to an outboard , I would look at older sail boats .The old engine comes out of a cockpit hatch.

Yes ,you are down IN the boat rather than up 2-3 stories looking at the water, but the price is right ,the construction is better, and usually the sea keeping /sea worthyness is far better than a powered roomaran.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:58 AM   #186
Guru

"Roomaran", you just made me snort my coffee!
The things I learn on this site...
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:26 AM   #187

City: Owings, Md
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
While in route from Indiantown FL to Stuart, FL on the east coast, I came across this backyard built, trailer-able trawlette set up for single or twin outboards. All glass, it must have been a lot of careful labor, but it was on its way to Indiantown to be sold. Reportedly, the hull design is a proven Wellcraft 25. No more to be built, so the owner/builder says...so, one of a kind.
I would be very curious about the handling of this boat. The hull looks like the 25' 1989 Wellcraft Sportsman that was in our family for 16 years and while it was a great boat, it was sensitive to trim (trim tabs were a must)and tender at rest due to it's 18 degree deadrise. It handled a head sea great and it was a fine hull for its purpose. It had a 260 hp mercruiser I/O which provided which placed ~1000 lbs down low. Many of these boats were outboard powered so they had a higher center of gravity but this trawler configuration would raise the CG quite a bit. The cockpit deck on ours was only a 2-5" inches above the waterline and the deck was about 10" higher than the cockpit but was well bellow the gunnel height. This trawler would significantly raise the height of the live loads. I am also curious how much the superstructure weights.

Edit: Looking at the pictures again, I really can't tell what the deck heights are inside the cabin. The superstructure may look higher than it really is due to the camera angle.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:36 PM   #188
Guru

Once again and all through this long thread and many similar threads the over ridding question is what is a trawler and what is not. Many boats discussed here would easily fit into other categories. The big problem is we can not define what is a trawler with any accuracy so we can't say what is not. I see no problem with OB power on a big or medium or pocket cruising boat I am not sure I would consider many a trawler. In some cases are we dealing with a boat well suited to cruising or a hybrid and of course it does not matter to the boat owner. While there are no standards for a trawler there are some boats that seem to stretch the non existent definition farther than others. Soon the 200 HP diesel OB engines being developed and soon marketed will change the whole concept of OB powered cruising boats.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:58 PM   #189
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Once again and all through this long thread and many similar threads the over ridding question is what is a trawler and what is not. Many boats discussed here would easily fit into other categories. The big problem is we can not define what is a trawler with any accuracy so we can't say what is not. I see no problem with OB power on a big or medium or pocket cruising boat I am not sure I would consider many a trawler. In some cases are we dealing with a boat well suited to cruising or a hybrid and of course it does not matter to the boat owner. While there are no standards for a trawler there are some boats that seem to stretch the non existent definition farther than others. Soon the 200 HP diesel OB engines being developed and soon marketed will change the whole concept of OB powered cruising boats.
OB's will be an aft intrusion placement regarding play-time-space/COG-weight-distribution/back-collision factors. Unless of course... a through hull opening/conduit were to be placed somewhere inside the boat. If the through hull conduit was to be placed then it seems that due to hull/keel needs there would be requirement for twin screw o/b's in order to keep port/starboard thrusts equalized. Sound and exhaust could be a problem. Ease of service top ends may be easy. Haul out for replacement may be made easy by having hatch directly above. Prop and gear areas would probably stay in water and need to be constructed thusly.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:36 PM   #190
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
OB's will be an aft intrusion placement regarding play-time-space/COG-weight-distribution/back-collision factors. Unless of course... a through hull opening/conduit were to be placed somewhere inside the boat. If the through hull conduit was to be placed then it seems that due to hull/keel needs there would be requirement for twin screw o/b's in order to keep port/starboard thrusts equalized. Sound and exhaust could be a problem. Ease of service top ends may be easy. Haul out for replacement may be made easy by having hatch directly above. Prop and gear areas would probably stay in water and need to be constructed thusly.
Could you translate this into Dick and Jane language for the sake of us old folks?
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:45 PM   #191
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
OB's will be an aft intrusion placement regarding play-time-space [swim step] /COG [center of gravity] -weight-distribution/back-collision [maneuvers in reverse] factors. Unless of course... a through hull opening/conduit [similar to 55 gallon drum attached to hull bottom and open on top and bottom with o/b attached with prop in water] were to be placed somewhere inside the boat. If the through hull conduit was to be placed then it seems that due to hull/keel [space not available in hull center of side to side measurement] needs there would be requirement for twin screw o/b's in order to keep port/starboard thrusts equalized [two through hull opening/conduit to get o/b's either side of keel] . Sound and exhaust could be a problem [noisy and smelly/dangerous to inner boat portions]. Ease of service top ends my be easy [pull off o/b cowling for tune up etc]. Haul out for replacement may be made easy by having hatch directly above [pull entire o/b straight up and drop in new o/b]. Prop and gear areas would probably stay in water and need to be constructed thusly [anti corrosion materials and good seals].

Dick and Jane may like outboard power!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Could you translate this into Dick and Jane language for the sake of us old folks?
See above:
Old 02-08-2017, 05:29 PM   #192
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
OB's will be an aft intrusion placement regarding play-time-space [swim step] /COG [center of gravity] -weight-distribution/back-collision [maneuvers in reverse] factors. Unless of course... a through hull opening/conduit [similar to 55 gallon drum attached to hull bottom and open on top and bottom with o/b attached with prop in water] were to be placed somewhere inside the boat. If the through hull conduit was to be placed then it seems that due to hull/keel [space not available in hull center of side to side measurement] needs there would be requirement for twin screw o/b's in order to keep port/starboard thrusts equalized [two through hull opening/conduit to get o/b's either side of keel] . Sound and exhaust could be a problem [noisy and smelly/dangerous to inner boat portions]. Ease of service top ends my be easy [pull off o/b cowling for tune up etc]. Haul out for replacement may be made easy by having hatch directly above [pull entire o/b straight up and drop in new o/b]. Prop and gear areas would probably stay in water and need to be constructed thusly [anti corrosion materials and good seals].

Dick and Jane may like outboard power!!

See above:
Thanks for trying!!! Maybe I need to see a neurologist....
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:53 PM   #193
Guru

City: kemah
Theres a pretty good sized trawler in the marina next to me that has 4 outboards hanging off the integral swim platform. Looks pretty nice from a distance and it looks factory set up. Maybe someday ill be able to get a get a pic of it.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:06 PM   #194
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
Theres a pretty good sized trawler in the marina next to me that has 4 outboards hanging off the integral swim platform.
A big trawler with four outboards. Well now, that about completes the spectrum of possibilities, I'd say.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:21 PM   #195
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Thanks for trying!!! Maybe I need to see a neurologist....
Don't be too hard on yourself!!