Outboard engine lifting suggestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brico

Veteran Member
on my 1980 Hatteras 37 Convertible my dinghy is secured with Weaver brackets and slip on brackets on the swim platform. i really like it as it is easy to secure and lift the dinghy on its side and secure quickly.

my 8HP Mercury outboard is secured on the swim platform as per attached photo. to prevent damaging my back further i am looking for an easier way of managing this instead of manhandling it. i looked at Garhauer lifting davit Garhauer Marine Hardware -10355047
and am looking for other suggestions.

i do not want to install davits to lift the dinghy together with the outboard as my dinghy securing arrangement is great.

any suggestions and experiences are welcome.

Attachments

• Outboard secured on the swim platform.jpg
    Outboard secured on the swim platform.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 186
We have used this mount on our 9' Livingston for 16 years now with complete success. It is supposed to be good for motors up to 9.9 hp.The motor is manually rotated. There is a simple lock that can secure the motor at vertical, 45 degree, and 90 degree positions.ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1427953070.698055.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1427953093.778181.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1427953109.764132.jpg

Last edited:
I used to have a Forespar O/B motor davit. I depends on having a stern rail to mount it too. From your picture it doesn't look like you have a stern rail. I think that the Garhauer davit works the same way.

I would look hard at the swivel bracket.

David

I have a Garhauer. I like it. It swivels 360 degrees and has a great purchase. My engine is 75# and I have no problem. Plus Garhaurer is a life time guarantee.

Thanks Chester613, I am leaning towards it. I had their boomvang on my sailboat and it was solidly made and very functional. Is your 26 or 34 inches outreach? Where do you have it fitted? Would you have the photo of it, just for an idea on how to fit it onto my swim platform. I intend on keeping my outboard continuously suspended on it instead of the above pictured arrangement I currently have.

Back
Top Bottom