Old 03-02-2018, 01:20 PM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Our thoughts with all in the path of Riley

Hoping it won't have as severe impact as some forecasts. Hope you're all safe and secure.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:02 PM   #2
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
I called the marina (on the eastern shore, across from Baltimore, where theyíre expecting gusts to 60 mph from the NW, probably the least protected point of the compass) to verify that they checked the jack stands. Not only is the boat secure on blocks and stands, itís just been moved and still sitting in the slings, which is nice added security.

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:33 PM   #3
Guru

Wifey B: I just saw that 1.3 million are without power already. Then it hit me that when we went without power it was 80 degrees, not 40 degrees or colder.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:44 PM   #4

City: NJ
Not bad yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-03-02-14-42-40.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	73568
joekerins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:52 PM   #5
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Thanks. We got the northern edge of the Nor'easter up here. Please don't feed into the Weather Channel's hype by calling non-hurricane storms by some cutesy name. Even the NWS tries to discourage that silliness.

Lots of flooding here around the time of the perigean spring high tide, in the usual places. Again, nothing "super" about it, so let's avoid the media hyperbole.

Winds were brisk, but not really out of the ordinary for this type of storm.

Not to minimize the actual damage that happens from foul weather every year, but the weather broadcasters really seem to enjoy sensationalizing their reporting.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:06 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Thanks. We got the northern edge of the Nor'easter up here. Please don't feed into the Weather Channel's hype by calling non-hurricane storms by some cutesy name. Even the NWS tries to discourage that silliness.

Lots of flooding here around the time of the perigean spring high tide, in the usual places. Again, nothing "super" about it, so let's avoid the media hyperbole.

Winds were brisk, but not really out of the ordinary for this type of storm.

Not to minimize the actual damage that happens from foul weather every year, but the weather broadcasters really seem to enjoy sensationalizing their reporting.
Wifey B: I don't think there's any hyperbole about a storm causing the kind of damage it has and continues to cause. A lot of homes damaged and others destroyed. A few lives lost. A lot of coastal damage. I guess it's a matter of whether one was directly impacted by it. I'm sure those who were consider it a serious storm.

I know some broadcasters sensationalize everything, but I didn't and haven't and just posted my concern. You don't like naming, I don't give a da.n. The British named Emma too. What does it matter. It gives a way of specifying it and of people referring back. Easier to say Riley than the storm in early March 2018.

I wasn't feeding into anyone's anything and find your response very disturbing. Go talk to someone who just lost their house or a family member.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:15 PM   #7

City: New York
https://youtu.be/7JkGtgsCi5U

New York is fine...
Genecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:26 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genecop View Post
https://youtu.be/7JkGtgsCi5U

New York is fine...
Wifey B: Fortunately many areas are and the damage is hopefully going to be considerably less than it might have been. Irma wasn't nearly as bad as some of the predictions but if you were one who did get it's full impact it certainly was. I was lucky, but many weren't. I think every storm has to be milder than the broadcast forecast. They do predict the worse to warn people. They know some areas will get hit as they predict and others won't. Is there a better way? Not that I know as people don't even take the current warnings seriously. I always hope we leave a storm thinking "much ado about nothing." However, I've seen some coastal areas hit worse by Riley than by Sandy according to those living there. I don't know.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:21 PM   #9
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound dismissive of the very real damage done.

But in the big picture, it was a very typical nor'easter. This happens every few years around here. We have paregean tides a few times per year, and sometimes windstorms at the same time. We're used to it and most of those affected by it have been through this before. I feel for anyone who suffered property damage, injury or worse. Just like I do for any sad, but expected or common event.

I also understand that the weather and news folks need dramatic video, and dramatic copy, to attract and retain viewers and readers.

I suppose I find more amusing than annoying. What really gets under my skin is that silly practice of naming every rainstorm like it was a hurricane or something. Even the NWS is trying to squash that banality.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:49 PM   #10
Guru

City: Florida
Vessel Model: "Ho"made
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound dismissive of the very real damage done.

But in the big picture, it was a very typical nor'easter. This happens every few years around here. We have paregean tides a few times per year, and sometimes windstorms at the same time. We're used to it and most of those affected by it have been through this before. I feel for anyone who suffered property damage, injury or worse. Just like I do for any sad, but expected or common event.

I also understand that the weather and news folks need dramatic video, and dramatic copy, to attract and retain viewers and readers.

I suppose I find more amusing than annoying. What really gets under my skin is that silly practice of naming every rainstorm like it was a hurricane or something. Even the NWS is trying to squash that banality.
It may have been a typical Noreaster in southern maine, but hit the Boston area,cape and islands much harder than "a typical Noreaster". The usual places flooded but some really dramatic damage in others. Wx is regional, don't dismiss it because you weren't personally affected.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:58 PM   #11
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Why name hurricanes?

They wouldnt run out of names if they just used numbers.

If oeople didnt watch the weather channel, maybe things might back off...but people and companies like airports during major weather events just leave it run 24/7.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:09 PM   #12
Guru

City: Boston Area
It was far from typical around here ( north of Boston ) !!!

My neighbor had treess come down on his house that were 3 feet in diameter, and the roof blew off my kid's tree house !!

There are still 84,000 people in Mass without electricity.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:27 AM   #13
Guru

There was just an update on the news that many of those without power will not get it back until Tuesday night.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:40 PM   #14

City: Cataumet, Cape Cod MA
Vessel Name: Paumanok
Vessel Model: Albin 34 Fast Trawler
Hopefully "All" will have power restored in time for the next Nor'easter - due Weds. Riley definitely was not a "run of the mill" storm. We drove to the Sandwich Marina to check on Paumanok today, she was fine but many boats on the hard there had shredded shrink-wrap. There may be plenty of winter left and those boats will be hit hard. We experienced 92 mph wind gusts here in Falmouth MA!
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:22 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Hopefully "All" will have power restored in time for the next Nor'easter - due Weds. Riley definitely was not a "run of the mill" storm. We drove to the Sandwich Marina to check on Paumanok today, she was fine but many boats on the hard there had shredded shrink-wrap. There may be plenty of winter left and those boats will be hit hard. We experienced 92 mph wind gusts here in Falmouth MA!
Wifey B: Yes, and the second storm, even though weaker, will cause very significant damage when on top of Riley.

As to boating, seas remain a mess all along the East Coast and as far across the ocean as you want to look.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:39 PM   #16
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Why name hurricanes?

They wouldnt run out of names if they just used numbers.

If oeople didnt watch the weather channel, maybe things might back off...but people and companies like airports during major weather events just leave it run 24/7.

Well, as always, you can follow the money. Naming storms:

For NWS it serves to promote higher government funding for research, resources and monitoring.
For main stream media it helps sensationalize the weather and attract viewers and increases revenue.
For insurance companies a named storm means higher deductibles and reduced payouts
For local government agencies it can mean increased federal funding for operating emergency control centers and putting the workers on continuous overtime.
For local charities it can mean funding for operating evacuation services and locations that very few will go to or utilize.
For the everyday working man itís just another crappy day.

For generations the general population have dealt with annual nor-Easterís as well as category 1&2 hurricanes by thinking Ďoh the weathers pretty bad todayí. Today with satellites, computers and instant hype media its three days of prep, runs on supplies at the stores and scaring the common folk.

And why canít the utility companies keep the power on? We have the technology. Why are they using substandard equipment that fails in a strong breeze? Money?
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:41 PM   #17
Guru

I was trapped on Marblehead today because they are still closing the causeway to the island for 90 minutes on either side of high tide. Then they have snow plows moving rocks the size of soccer balls off the street.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:50 AM   #18
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Riley was BAD. Lots of folks on the shore in and around Boston got clobbered. There are still many without power......

Fast forward to today and there's ANOTHER storm tmmrow. High winds and up to a foot of snow. Yay.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:54 AM   #19
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
We got hit really hard. Our house was fine, but about a dozen multi-ton granite blocks got knocked out of our pier that has been there for over 100 years. I'll post pictures later when not on ipad.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:07 AM   #20
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Granite blocks knocked out of our pier.

Waves breaking along Long Beach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	part0-1.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	73719   Click image for larger version

Name:	part0.jpeg