Our thoughts with all in the path of Riley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BandB

Guru
Hoping it won't have as severe impact as some forecasts. Hope you're all safe and secure. :)

I called the marina (on the eastern shore, across from Baltimore, where they’re expecting gusts to 60 mph from the NW, probably the least protected point of the compass) to verify that they checked the jack stands. Not only is the boat secure on blocks and stands, it’s just been moved and still sitting in the slings, which is nice added security.

Wifey B: I just saw that 1.3 million are without power already. Then it hit me that when we went without power it was 80 degrees, not 40 degrees or colder. :nonono:

Not bad yet.

Screenshot_2018-03-02-14-42-40.jpg

Thanks. We got the northern edge of the Nor'easter up here. Please don't feed into the Weather Channel's hype by calling non-hurricane storms by some cutesy name. Even the NWS tries to discourage that silliness.

Lots of flooding here around the time of the perigean spring high tide, in the usual places. Again, nothing "super" about it, so let's avoid the media hyperbole.

Winds were brisk, but not really out of the ordinary for this type of storm.

Not to minimize the actual damage that happens from foul weather every year, but the weather broadcasters really seem to enjoy sensationalizing their reporting.

Thanks. We got the northern edge of the Nor'easter up here. Please don't feed into the Weather Channel's hype by calling non-hurricane storms by some cutesy name. Even the NWS tries to discourage that silliness.

Lots of flooding here around the time of the perigean spring high tide, in the usual places. Again, nothing "super" about it, so let's avoid the media hyperbole.

Winds were brisk, but not really out of the ordinary for this type of storm.

Not to minimize the actual damage that happens from foul weather every year, but the weather broadcasters really seem to enjoy sensationalizing their reporting.

Wifey B: I don't think there's any hyperbole about a storm causing the kind of damage it has and continues to cause. A lot of homes damaged and others destroyed. A few lives lost. A lot of coastal damage. I guess it's a matter of whether one was directly impacted by it. I'm sure those who were consider it a serious storm.

I know some broadcasters sensationalize everything, but I didn't and haven't and just posted my concern. You don't like naming, I don't give a da.n. The British named Emma too. What does it matter. It gives a way of specifying it and of people referring back. Easier to say Riley than the storm in early March 2018.

I wasn't feeding into anyone's anything and find your response very disturbing. Go talk to someone who just lost their house or a family member. :mad:

Wifey B: Fortunately many areas are and the damage is hopefully going to be considerably less than it might have been. Irma wasn't nearly as bad as some of the predictions but if you were one who did get it's full impact it certainly was. I was lucky, but many weren't. I think every storm has to be milder than the broadcast forecast. They do predict the worse to warn people. They know some areas will get hit as they predict and others won't. Is there a better way? Not that I know as people don't even take the current warnings seriously. I always hope we leave a storm thinking "much ado about nothing." However, I've seen some coastal areas hit worse by Riley than by Sandy according to those living there. I don't know. :eek:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound dismissive of the very real damage done.

But in the big picture, it was a very typical nor'easter. This happens every few years around here. We have paregean tides a few times per year, and sometimes windstorms at the same time. We're used to it and most of those affected by it have been through this before. I feel for anyone who suffered property damage, injury or worse. Just like I do for any sad, but expected or common event.

I also understand that the weather and news folks need dramatic video, and dramatic copy, to attract and retain viewers and readers.

I suppose I find more amusing than annoying. What really gets under my skin is that silly practice of naming every rainstorm like it was a hurricane or something. Even the NWS is trying to squash that banality.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound dismissive of the very real damage done.

But in the big picture, it was a very typical nor'easter. This happens every few years around here. We have paregean tides a few times per year, and sometimes windstorms at the same time. We're used to it and most of those affected by it have been through this before. I feel for anyone who suffered property damage, injury or worse. Just like I do for any sad, but expected or common event.

I also understand that the weather and news folks need dramatic video, and dramatic copy, to attract and retain viewers and readers.

I suppose I find more amusing than annoying. What really gets under my skin is that silly practice of naming every rainstorm like it was a hurricane or something. Even the NWS is trying to squash that banality.

It may have been a typical Noreaster in southern maine, but hit the Boston area,cape and islands much harder than "a typical Noreaster". The usual places flooded but some really dramatic damage in others. Wx is regional, don't dismiss it because you weren't personally affected.

Why name hurricanes?

They wouldnt run out of names if they just used numbers.

If oeople didnt watch the weather channel, maybe things might back off...but people and companies like airports during major weather events just leave it run 24/7.

It was far from typical around here ( north of Boston ) !!!

My neighbor had treess come down on his house that were 3 feet in diameter, and the roof blew off my kid's tree house !!

There are still 84,000 people in Mass without electricity.

Hopefully "All" will have power restored in time for the next Nor'easter - due Weds. Riley definitely was not a "run of the mill" storm. We drove to the Sandwich Marina to check on Paumanok today, she was fine but many boats on the hard there had shredded shrink-wrap. There may be plenty of winter left and those boats will be hit hard. We experienced 92 mph wind gusts here in Falmouth MA!

Hopefully "All" will have power restored in time for the next Nor'easter - due Weds. Riley definitely was not a "run of the mill" storm. We drove to the Sandwich Marina to check on Paumanok today, she was fine but many boats on the hard there had shredded shrink-wrap. There may be plenty of winter left and those boats will be hit hard. We experienced 92 mph wind gusts here in Falmouth MA!

Wifey B: Yes, and the second storm, even though weaker, will cause very significant damage when on top of Riley.

As to boating, seas remain a mess all along the East Coast and as far across the ocean as you want to look. :eek:

Why name hurricanes?

They wouldnt run out of names if they just used numbers.

If oeople didnt watch the weather channel, maybe things might back off...but people and companies like airports during major weather events just leave it run 24/7.

Well, as always, you can follow the money. Naming storms:

For NWS it serves to promote higher government funding for research, resources and monitoring.
For main stream media it helps sensationalize the weather and attract viewers and increases revenue.
For insurance companies a named storm means higher deductibles and reduced payouts
For local government agencies it can mean increased federal funding for operating emergency control centers and putting the workers on continuous overtime.
For local charities it can mean funding for operating evacuation services and locations that very few will go to or utilize.
For the everyday working man it’s just another crappy day.

For generations the general population have dealt with annual nor-Easter’s as well as category 1&2 hurricanes by thinking ‘oh the weathers pretty bad today’. Today with satellites, computers and instant hype media its three days of prep, runs on supplies at the stores and scaring the common folk.

And why can’t the utility companies keep the power on? We have the technology. Why are they using substandard equipment that fails in a strong breeze? Money?

I was trapped on Marblehead today because they are still closing the causeway to the island for 90 minutes on either side of high tide. Then they have snow plows moving rocks the size of soccer balls off the street.

Riley was BAD. Lots of folks on the shore in and around Boston got clobbered. There are still many without power......

Fast forward to today and there's ANOTHER storm tmmrow. High winds and up to a foot of snow. Yay.

We got hit really hard. Our house was fine, but about a dozen multi-ton granite blocks got knocked out of our pier that has been there for over 100 years. I'll post pictures later when not on ipad.

Granite blocks knocked out of our pier.

Waves breaking along Long Beach.

Attachments

• part0-1.jpeg
    part0-1.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 44
  • part0.jpeg
    part0.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 53
  • part0-1.jpg
    part0-1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 51
  • part0.jpg
    part0.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 54
Thanks. We got the northern edge of the Nor'easter up here. Please don't feed into the Weather Channel's hype by calling non-hurricane storms by some cutesy name.

No such thing as Noreasters anymore. They are now called "Bomb Cyclones"
Sells better on the evening news.

(TV stations could save a lot of money if they just used the archive film from 50 years ago. Exact same places get wiped out. Scituate. Hull. Parts of Quincy, Winthrop. Gov. subsidized insurance gives them money to rebuild in the same place. Next storm comes along, wiped out again. TV stations rush crews to Scituate to show damage. Rinse, repeat)

No such thing as Noreasters anymore. They are now called "Bomb Cyclones"

Sells better on the evening news.

(TV stations could save a lot of money if they just used the archive film from 50 years ago. Exact same places get wiped out. Scituate. Hull. Parts of Quincy, Winthrop. Gov. subsidized insurance gives them money to rebuild in the same place. Next storm comes along, wiped out again. TV stations rush crews to Scituate to show damage. Rinse, repeat)

Whatever subsidies are involved, they are minimal. Fema flood insurance provides minimal coverage. If it pays enough to rebuild your garage, you will have done well. All other insurance beyond that is private, and in our area quite difficult to get. Only two or three carriers will write waterfront insurance at all, and then only if you are outside of the fema flood zones. I have had to argue with insurers several times because they see waterfront and run away, when i can clearly show on the fema maps that we are outside the flood zone, and have a survey that confirms it.

We got about 10 inches of snow this morning. Other parts of Mass had reports of 18+ inches. This March sucks! I was hoping to take the shrinkwrap off the boat in a week or so....Not happening.

A bomb cyclone is not the same thing as a Nor'easter, it refers to a storm that has a pressure drop of 24 milibars in 24 hours.

There are currently 160,000 people in MA without electricity.

A bomb cyclone is not the same thing as a Nor'easter, it refers to a storm that has a pressure drop of 24 milibars in 24 hours.

There are currently 160,000 people in MA without electricity.

Wifey B: Thursday morning 1 million without power. Still 400,000 by Friday morning in the storm area. :ermm:

This **** is absurd.....We're getting another 12 inches on Tuesday. Laugh it up Florida guys, laugh it up.

It's a beautiful day here. I'm going to name it "Fred."

I just cleared about 18" of snow. It was a much better workout to start the day than pedaling the stupid elliptical.

Tomorrow we might get some light, freezing rain, which I'm going to name "Sally."

They're calling for clouds on Friday, which I think should be named "George."

This naming thing is fun! You poor saps in Florida are missing out, big time!

It's a beautiful day here. I'm going to name it "Fred."

I just cleared about 18" of snow. It was a much better workout to start the day than pedaling the stupid elliptical.

Tomorrow we might get some light, freezing rain, which I'm going to name "Sally."

They're calling for clouds on Friday, which I think should be named "George."

This naming thing is fun! You poor saps in Florida are missing out, big time!

Wifey B: Yeah, it so sucks to be stuck with the name of "Paradise" I guess, but we'll deal with it. :rolleyes:

Granite blocks knocked out of our pier.

Waves breaking along Long Beach.

My family had a waterfront home on Long Beach from early 60's until 1998. We lost the front of the house in blizzard of 78 and again in no name (perfect storm ) 1991. Ive lost my desire for waterfront property unless its in a protected location. Great memories growing up there though.

Back
Top Bottom