Old 02-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #1

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: Willard 30' Searcher
Our next boat, LRC Full Displacement.

Ok so I have done some looking here and there and I have started working on a laundry list of our long term boat. I figured I would get some opinion on what boat fits the list from some current owners. Yes we have something now - and will probably work for the next few years but as most of you know. When you start looking it can take years to find the right boat before you put your hard earned funds down to begin enjoying her. So here's a list,
Full displacement - economy is a must as well as long range. (We're West Coasters and want to be able to go through Panama and use her as a winter home in FL or the likes) 6 knots is plenty fast for us. We can always equip her with a fast tender.
Two staterooms - perferably one with bunks or twins as our son is liable to want to bring a friend as he ages.
Single with thruster(s) or twin, I am leaning more towards single w/ a get home
Pilothouse style for night operations
A respectable engine room, I don't want to age out of boating or have to hire a mechanic just to change the oil. Easy access to systems is going to be most important. I don't mind hiring a pro for the heavy lifting but enjoy doing all the regular routine maintenance myself. Everything from starters and alternators to oil but no engine rebuilds in my future.
Easy access to systems outside of the engine room such as shower sumps, batteries, propane, you name it. I don't want to have to cut into a panel because someone behind a desk didn't think anyone would ever have to access a hose...
Flybridge - I have noticed that some of the pilothouse style don't have flybridges. Bottom line, I want a bridge to enjoy the sunny days.
A cockpit for four in chairs
Since we are going to be out for weeks at a time a laundry machine
Oh - what makes/models come with a dry stack? It appears this might be a better approach to handling spent exhaust? What are the drawbacks?
Budget - under $175k
Thoughts?

Old 02-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Krogen 42

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:06 PM   #3

Been thinking that's high on the list. Probably need to tour one too. Just looked at a new one at the boat show (maybe when we reach retirement) and that blew me away just thought the finish was stellar. I'd like to check out an older one that would be closer to my budget. When did KK move away from a cored below waterline?
Old 02-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Nordhavn, but probably hard to pull off on a $175k budget. But an N46 might not be out of the question.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #5

Are the Defevers in the same league as the Nordhavns and KK? 1980 Defever Pilothouse Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 02-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I like the above selections and might add the Hatteras 42 LRC.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
Are the Defevers in the same league as the Nordhavns and KK? 1980 Defever Pilothouse Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
You might want to check to see if they have the same range, assuming that's important to you. I'm thinking they don't, but am not sure.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #8

The Hatteras look doesn't work for me. Just too high of a stern/aft cabin. I really like the salty/traditional look of the KK and Defevers.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #9
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
I think you should look at Richard Soto's Willard 40, Northstar. This is an great vessel that has been updated sensibly, taken care of and worth a look.
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #10
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Rather than shopping for a brand you need to be shopping for a boat. The Willard 40 hasn't been mentioned yet (I think) and the big problem is that your'e not only shopping for FD but a Passagemaker.

Talk to Sunchaser here and others. Pound the pavement on the net and on the street. The more stones you uncover the better your chances. That's obvious of course but probably more so for you.

Looks like you've got a good idea about what you want but it dosn't look like you're flexible enough. You may be well served if you make some well thought out lists. What you can do without. Be realistic. For example if the perfect boat came along w/o a FB what would you do? There will be pluses and minuses and you may think you've got it all figured out and you'll find a boat that has'nt got several of your must haves and makes your eyes bug out and mouth drop open. You may find yourself in a gotta have it status.

It may .. probably won't be as profound as that but flexibility will be your friend in many scenarios that one can never predict. The only way to get a near perfect boat is to build and design it yourself. You may gain valuable knowledge on Boat Design.net. The yahoo group WBO .. Willard Boat Owners may be helpful too.

But you probably came to the right place. Good luck.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:00 PM   #11
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
If you have a flybridge that's easy to get to you do you really need a cockpit?

For a washer and dryer....depending on designs you are starting to get up there in size...my 40 Albin has almost no place that I want to give up to fit even a Splendide washer/dryer. So if you are talking large 40 or 42 to fit one in and not give up valuable space for something else. Once in that size range and a boat in good shape....your budget may not afford a lot of opportunities with leftover for outfitting/upgrading.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #12
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Drystack is probably just something you "think" you like, but have no experience with. Dont get me wrong, I love it, but its not for everyone. Full displacement does not neccessarily mean long range. Single engine may not be more economical than twins, definitely not easier to operate. If I were you I would spend some time on prospective boats and not just go by what you have read, or, heaven forbid, what you find on the net. The "best buy" right now is a 45 to 55 foot older sportfisher with old Detroit Diesels. Spend the money to put a pair of Cummins 210 6bt's in and you have a GREAT cruising boat. Easy to handle, built super stout, Easy and low maintenace, with a big back porch and comfortable accomadations for the captain and Admiral (less so for guests, a good thing) a flybridge, washer/dryer, large tankage, etc. Really hard to beat for long range coastal cruising. And they just look WAY COOL !!!
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #13
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Krogen 42.
The most efficient boat out there for that size and money.
Look at my posting for my Bahamas trip, look at my fuel burn, 1.3 gal/hr for 700 nm. 2800 nm range.

Also all the features you want including two heads, etc. Wet exhaust is actually safer.

I have heard that the Willard is very similar.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #14
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
kulas wrote;

"The "best buy" right now is a 45 to 55 foot older sportfisher with old Detroit Diesels."

The guy wants FD and LONG RANGE. Sportfisher is a cross between a rocket and a barge.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #15
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Yeah, Willard. How did I forget to mention Willard. Great hull. I probably wouldn't have mentioned the Hatteras 42LRC unless you spoke about the washer/dryer, two staterooms and full displacement in that price range. Out there, you might find a few custom steel hulled FD boats that might have what you want.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #16
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
Wet exhaust is actually safer.
Just curious how so?
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #17
Guru

City: Cleveland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
I have looked really hard at Defevers and have been on few of them. I think they are really great vessels and I rate it second on my list of vessels. If the Defever fits your needs take a really hard look at it and go from there.

All the best in your search.

Happy cruising.

H. Foster
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #18
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Every boat is a trade off in one way or another. Odds are you'll never find a boat that meets every criteria that you set. When the right boat comes along, you will know it instantly. One criteria that has to be highest on your list is the Admiral must love it or your life will be miserable. Just saying.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #19
Guru

City: Cleveland
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Every boat is a trade off in one way or another. Odds are you'll never find a boat that meets every criteria that you set. When the right boat comes along, you will know it instantly. One criteria that has to be highest on your list is the Admiral must love it or your life will be miserable. Just saying.
so true!
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #20
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Most folks new to big boats, especially if they have a "conservative" mindset, think they want a full displacement boat. And most dont even know why, except that its the "in thing". I understand the rocket comment, but the barge part confuses me. And, I said "put in a pair of Cummins 6bt 210 hp engines" No longer a rocket, and still more user friendly than just about any other type of big boat made. A decent 53 Hatt can be had for 75k. 30k for engines, another 10k just to make it like you want, and you have an awsome cruising boat, and did I mention they look WAY COOL !!!

kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote