Old 02-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #81
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Thanks to skid gear and psneeld we've got lots to look at and/or study. But I don't see the QBBL info. I remember a QBBL on the bottom of a sailboat w lots of rocker. I think it was skidgear that posted It several mos ago.

Anyway remembering hull forms accurately is tricky. Marks Coot looks to me now as it's in the grey area. Not much submerged transom but a flatter QBBL than I had remembered. Looks the same as the DeFevers but w less submerged tramsom.

The Meridian in the post of supposed FD boats is probably closer to a planing hull that FD.

And yes psneeld barges are FD. And yes also that there are many other factors in NA but to be able to tell FD from SD I think the QBBL and amount of sub transom is the easiest to use. The latter being more useful being easier to comprehend. Can you think of another more telling design feature for the purpose?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #82
Guru

[QUOTE=manyboats;211401]Thanks to skid gear and psneeld we've got lots to look at and/or study. But I don't see the QBBL info.

The QBBL discussion is in Dave Gerr's paper attached via my post #71. Think it's on page 13 or 14 in the attachment.

Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #83
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Could be that a Choy Lee pilothouse fits the bill

1977 Cheoy Lee CL-50 World Cruiser Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

This is a really nice looking boat!
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:55 PM   #84
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The photo shows the Coot laying on its keel, thus is nose down. This drawing shows the boat's lines on the level.

The submerged portion of the hull is about three feet deep in the middle.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #85
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Thanks to skid gear and psneeld we've got lots to look at and/or study. But I don't see the QBBL info. I remember a QBBL on the bottom of a sailboat w lots of rocker. I think it was skidgear that posted It several mos ago.

Anyway remembering hull forms accurately is tricky. Marks Coot looks to me now as it's in the grey area. Not much submerged transom but a flatter QBBL than I had remembered. Looks the same as the DeFevers but w less submerged tramsom.

The Meridian in the post of supposed FD boats is probably closer to a planing hull that FD.

And yes psneeld barges are FD. And yes also that there are many other factors in NA but to be able to tell FD from SD I think the QBBL and amount of sub transom is the easiest to use. The latter being more useful being easier to comprehend. Can you think of another more telling design feature for the purpose?
Your "purpose" of "quickly telling by a feature or two" is EXACTLY what the issue is....YOU CAN'T "guess" from a rough pic or two showing a feature or two.....

One design feature without significant info on others is only part of it...even the designers often relent that there's overlap or "compromise".
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:31 PM   #86
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
One design feature without significant info on others is only part of it...even the designers often relent that there's overlap or "compromise".
Which is why Dave Gerr's calculations and formulae as posted by Skidgear show the definition of FD to be a calculated number and not a "look."

Like "Trawler," terms and definitions used for advertising tend to get trumped in the real world of NA. A decade ago Dashew said emphatically to anyone listening, "I'm designing an FPB not a FD or SD."

So back to the OP's question --------------.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:02 PM   #87
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Your "purpose" of "quickly telling by a feature or two" is EXACTLY what the issue is....YOU CAN'T "guess" from a rough pic or two showing a feature or two.....

Wow ... a serious case of dejavu just set in!

I though we all agreed it took at least 3 photos ... wait, maybe that was to determine the dancing angels per pinhead ratio ... it is all so confusing.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #88
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
Bry see what you started! There is a boat on G Dock that might fit your needs. Next time we meet up let's take a walk.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #89
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Wow ... a serious case of dejavu just set in!

I though we all agreed it took at least 3 photos ... wait, maybe that was to determine the dancing angels per pinhead ratio ... it is all so confusing.
wrong again buster...we agreed you need 3 pics/angles of view to determine whether it's REALLY an anchor ball or not....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #90
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,

OK Mr. psneeld. Anchor ball or nut?
Old 02-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #91
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Mark now she looks positively FD. Are you shure that pic's level?

"Dancing Angles" .. "Pinhead ratio" ....... BS ratio?

And psneeld is crying out for NUMBERS and reference ratios.

It seems many here feel that if they wish it hard enough and long enough their SD boat will become a FD boat. It seems many think a FD boat is a real trawler and a SD is a make believe or "wannabe" trawler. Since a huge majority of trawlers are SD it seems to me the opposite should be true. The real trawler is SD. I would rather have a SD boat. I've said many times the ideal boat (for me) is a 12 knot boat. And in my size that's not even close to FD. If one has the money why would they aspire to slug along at significantly less than hull speed?

Any comments see the new thread "SD/FD".

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:24 PM   #92

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: Willard 30' Searcher
Yes Bob a Beer and a walk - however we might have to leave the beer on the boat. Don't think the harbor would appreciate libations on the boardwalk....
Old 02-07-2014, 03:06 AM   #93
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post

Why cant we pick a boat based on a mission requirement instead?

Agree fully, first figure out what you are actually going to do with the boat then look for a boat that fits that use.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:28 AM   #94
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Agree fully, first figure out what you are actually going to do with the boat then look for a boat that fits that use.
Doesn't everyone do this?
Old 02-07-2014, 06:49 AM   #95

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Kik N Birrd
Vessel Model: 1983 50' Ocean Alexander MK1
We had many of the same requirements that you mentioned when we began our search as well. We looked at many of the Defever 49 pilothouse trawlers. We then came across the Ocean Alexander Mark 1. We purchased one with twin Ford Lehman 120's for the fuel burn. We consume 4 gallons per hour at 8 knots without the gen set running & 5 gallons per hour with. The boat has classic lines that we love, a great layout, good range, covered walkways, & we like the Portuguese bridge. It has been a great boat for us. We also really like the Krogen's & the posting from Dauntless regarding fuel burn & range is quite impressive. Good luck with what ever you come up with.
Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #96
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
We had many of the same requirements that you mentioned when we began our search as well. We looked at many of the Defever 49 pilothouse trawlers. We then came across the Ocean Alexander Mark 1. We purchased one with twin Ford Lehman 120's for the fuel burn. We consume 4 gallons per hour at 8 knots without the gen set running & 5 gallons per hour with. The boat has classic lines that we love, a great layout, good range, covered walkways, & we like the Portuguese bridge. It has been a great boat for us. We also really like the Krogen's & the posting from Dauntless regarding fuel burn & range is quite impressive. Good luck with what ever you come up with.
The Ocean Alexander mk1 and bigger boats have always been in my sights.. they are really nice boats and have the look, good luck with yours!
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #97
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
The Ocean Alexander mk1 and bigger boats have always been in my sights.. they are really nice boats and have the look, good luck with yours!
HOLLYWOOD
I second (third?) that. Was all over one last year and came very close. Well built, spacious, intelligent design, and very cozy. Yeah, cozy is important.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #98
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
I'd looked at one a few years ago in BC but alas the teak decks had leaked too much onto the fuel tanks.

I know of one MK I replica made in wood. One of the artisans from around Port Townsend did it, very nice indeed. One of the Monk NAs had blessed it.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:46 PM   #99
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Your $175 price puts a damper on all of your wants. The trouble is that your travel route dictates a high fuel capacity which means that the easiest way to get what you want is to digger deeper or get a loan as you will need a blue water trawler which don't come cheap. You can stay with a cheaper vessel but you should plan on using your life raft and a helicopter ride courtesy of the Coast guard .

gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote