Old 01-11-2015, 05:49 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
We came to Florida for a two week vacation. Ended up buying a house, becoming Florida residents. resigning our job (I worked a notice, my wife is a teacher and was summer), scheduling a mover, putting our house on the market.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:20 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Ft. Myers, FL.
Vessel Name: Chasing 80
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Constellation 460
"Speaking for South Florida. First, we have enough people so not at all encouraging more people to move here."

Wait, what?? Were you the last people allowed to move to south Florida? Am I missing something here?

Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:30 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
"Speaking for South Florida. First, we have enough people so not at all encouraging more people to move here."

Wait, what?? Were you the last people allowed to move to south Florida? Am I missing something here?
Yes, it's a matter of law.....lol...Border closed July 1, 2012.

Of course most of us came here from other places. A state of immigrants closing the door to any more....lol

Obviously not working as we've now passed NY as the third largest state. Adding over 100,000 people per year.

My post meant in humor to the one criticizing Florida as being a place they wouldn't want to live.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:09 PM   #24
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Scottie that looks like a first class airboat operation. My wife has never been on an airboat and wants to go for a ride. If I bring her up, how do I get you as the captain?
Old 01-11-2015, 09:29 PM   #25
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
We're back home now after a very long day yesterday and an overnight in Seattle. When you go from WA to FL and back, it's a loooooong trip. I guess that's why people in the western states vacation in AZ and surrounding states. We fly from here to Mesa, AZ in 2 hours. Not a bad trip.

I'd hate to make that all day long jaunt to Fl very often.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:35 PM   #26
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Sorry. ... Florida is so unforgettable (and with an unhealthy, tropical climate), we've never taken a photograph there worth forwarding. (I'm a hill/mountain, low-humidity person). ... Regardless, Perla (a tropical island girl) is going to meet a friend there this week in Florida to swim with the dolphins. So, there is still hope.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:12 PM   #27
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Scottie that looks like a first class airboat operation. My wife has never been on an airboat and wants to go for a ride. If I bring her up, how do I get you as the captain?

I'd like to know the same. Talk about a cool combo trip. High speed airboats, gators and a TF'er for the captain too. What's not to like?

Mark, Perla will love it as my sister-in-law highly recommends the experience.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:36 PM   #28
Master and Commander

A couple of years ago we went on a private air-boat in Louisiana. Interesting, but the alligators were hiding. Southern Louisiana:

Old 01-11-2015, 10:48 PM   #29
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Mark, you could always live in the cool of the North Georgia Mountains, and still be a days drive from South Florida. Ask Ulysses.

Oops! Gotta go. I'm hearing those damn banjos again.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:00 PM   #30
Master and Commander

Don, there is too much road kill in Georgia. And I'm only within 25 minutes of my boat now.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:52 AM   #31
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Don, there is too much road kill in Georgia. And I'm only within 25 minutes of my boat now.
So, Hotel California it is....
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:14 AM   #32
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
We worked in Miami and lived near Ft. Lauderdale for three years... would go back in a heartbeat. Well, almost. Boating there isn't like here on the Chesapeake, hard choice to make...

We were living in almost the 'glades, and the nearest airboat tour was about 10 minutes from our house. Used to take visitors all the time. Another fun option was to launch our own long/motorized canoe at the same place, and take visitors out that way. Had to pay beaucoup attention to the airboats and lane crossings, though, since we were such a low profile and relatively slow craft. I could usually put the bow up within a few feet of whatever sleeping 'gators we came across.. to the point where I (learned later I) seriously frightened one of our guests...

We were in Key West last Feb, heading to Ft. Myers this coming March.

Pics bring back good memories...

-Chris
Old 01-12-2015, 08:53 AM   #33
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Call the number and ask Lisa to book you with captain Scott.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:51 AM   #34
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Nice to see your pictures of your Florida trip and dream while sitting in NYC when its cold and rainy!
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:48 PM   #35
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
One of the best parts of the whole trip to FL was a side trip down a hard packed dirt road we took while returning to Ft. Myers from Key West. On the Tamiami Trail (Hwy 41/90), about 19 miles west of Hwy 997, the main highway turns to the NW. At that point the back road takes off to the south and runs due west for several miles and eventually hooks back up with Hwy 41/90 about 20 miles later. If you are going to try to find it on a map, try Google Earth rather than Google Maps because it shows up better.

It's a decent road, hard pack and easily traveled with a regular car, and that's where we saw all the gators. We didn't keep a count of them, but I'd bet we saw 40-50 along that road. That's where most of the good photos were taken. There are also lots of swamp dwelling birds to see and photograph, and it's just a beautiful drive.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:17 PM   #36
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
One of the best parts of the whole trip to FL was a side trip down a hard packed dirt road we took while returning to Ft. Myers from Key West. On the Tamiami Trail (Hwy 41/90), about 19 miles west of Hwy 997, the main highway turns to the NW. At that point the back road takes off to the south and runs due west for several miles and eventually hooks back up with Hwy 41/90 about 20 miles later. If you are going to try to find it on a map, try Google Earth rather than Google Maps because it shows up better.

It's a decent road, hard pack and easily traveled with a regular car, and that's where we saw all the gators. We didn't keep a count of them, but I'd bet we saw 40-50 along that road. That's where most of the good photos were taken. There are also lots of swamp dwelling birds to see and photograph, and it's just a beautiful drive.
Gators near or on the road can be dangerous, specially at night. There was a young man in Cocoa killed when his pickup truck hit a gator crossing the road at night and rolled the truck. Yep, you guessed it, no seat belts. Not sure they would have helped as hitting an 8-10 ft gator at 45MPHs is going to cause some mayhem.

Wild pigs are also a major nuisance at night. Hitting them will ruin your car and maybe a lot more. The hogs are big, low profile and black making them real hard to see on the road.

Did I mention deer and black bear?
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #37
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Gators near or on the road can be dangerous, specially at night. There was a young man in Cocoa killed when his pickup truck hit a gator crossing the road at night and rolled the truck. Yep, you guessed it, no seat belts. Not sure they would have helped as hitting an 8-10 ft gator at 45MPHs is going to cause some mayhem.

Wild pigs are also a major nuisance at night. Hitting them will ruin your car and maybe a lot more. The hogs are big, low profile and black making them real hard to see on the road.

Did I mention deer and black bear?

MMmmm ..... Deer, gator, hog sounds good. ya having a BBQ?

I have hunted all right here in FL. Black bear are becoming a problem again, several attacks on folks walking at night. Course in bear country ya carry, after all it is Florida.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #38
Guru

GFC, you're describing Loop Road. It used to be a real wild area. There was a bar on the road called The Gator Hook. It was notorious for shootings, knifings and prostitution. When the National Park Service took ownership of the land, the owner burned it down so they couldn't have it.

Lucky Cole has a compound out there where he will give you a beer in exchange for a donation and photograph your wife nude. The author Tim Dorsey used Lucky in his book, Gator a Go Go. Dorsey has thrown a couple of partys there that were a lot of fun. I really liked the lesbian bike club that showed up,
Old 01-12-2015, 04:11 PM   #39

City: Jupiter, FL
Vessel Name: JOHN D. MACDONALD
Vessel Model: FAIRCHILD SCOUT 30
Parks, glad that you are Dorsey connoisseur! I'm considering naming my tender Coleman......
Billyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:22 PM   #40
Guru

That's appropriate. Coleman is a little dingy.
Dorsey has a new book coming out January 27th called Shark Skin Suit.
I sent the quote on the Buck handles.