Old 05-04-2016, 03:52 PM   #21
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: No....no no no....that's the mentality we have to teach the kids not to have. You're never obligated to do what the group does. They can go get drunk, you can drink water or go for a walk. If they deem that to be anti-social then to h... with them. Please say no to the crowd mentality.

But if that's their interest, then it's best to go alone. We take our friends with us.
Sometimes I have trouble getting my point across. I don't know why, English is my only language and I've been speaking it for over seventy years.

If you go someplace as part of a group and then don't participate in the group activities, but wander off on your own, that's pretty rude.

It's better to not go in the first place which is pretty much what we've done. I think I mentioned somewhere that the group has pretty much fallen apart anyway.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:34 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Sometimes I have trouble getting my point across. I don't know why, English is my only language and I've been speaking it for over seventy years.

If you go someplace as part of a group and then don't participate in the group activities, but wander off on your own, that's pretty rude.

It's better to not go in the first place which is pretty much what we've done. I think I mentioned somewhere that the group has pretty much fallen apart anyway.
Wifey B: I understand what you're saying, but you'd think the important activity would be the cruise. Supposedly a cruising club, not a boozing club. So if there's a peripheral activity such as drinking that you choose to go for a nice walk instead, well....so be it. I don't see that as rude, but then I do agree the better thing is just not to go to start with.

I'm not big on peer pressure even for good things. I'm sure it's not surprise to anyone that I don't give in to it. I admit to being a nonconformist.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:37 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Wifey B: I only have half as many years of it as you, but I still screw it up and that's even in spite of a long list of degrees that says I shouldn't.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:53 PM   #24
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
I almost forgot the highlight incident of the weekend (for me anyway!). We had just started up the genny, and I was standing in the cockpit talking with a friend when steam started coming out of the exhaust outlet, then the genny shut down.

I knew what it was--we'd blown the impeller. Like all good skippers on here, I had a spare. Now I could have changed it, but for me to get my big body into the small area where the impeller is would not be fun to watch. GW had changed the impeller the last time it went kaput so I informed her that I was going to allow her to do it again.

She was thrilled. It took her about 2 minutes to get into the small area where the impeller is, about 5 minutes to change it, and another 3-4 minutes to wiggle her way out.

Sorry, no photos of that operation were allowed by order of my Galley Wench. No makeup, hair not combed, you get the picture, so photos were ruled out.

I did have to spend the rest of the day genuflecting and singing her praises to the rest of the boaters, bring her fresh glasses of wine, etc., but it was worth it.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:53 PM   #25
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
I don't understand that. It's not my idea of boating. Don't need a boat to get drunk. That's one of many reasons we don't belong to a group as with so many it just seems it's way too much centered around drinking. Just not for me.
I agree with you WifeyB. There is a huge and growing drinking culture in the US. It seems as if drinking to excess has become the expected behavior instead of an abherrent behavior that is frowned upon. I enjoy going to a bar and having a beer with friends or family but I never drink to excess. The last time I did that was probably 35 years ago.

That is one reason why my wife and I tend to boat alone. Our yacht club is great, but there is a big segment that sit around at an outstation dock and drink too much and get loud. I am just not into it.

Just to be clear, The OP's cruise looked like a lot of fun with friendly boaters enjoying an appropriate amount of alcohol. That is a type of group activity that I would enjoy.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:03 PM   #26
GFC
Guru

"Wifey B: I understand what you're saying, but you'd think the important activity would be the cruise. Supposedly a cruising club, not a boozing club. So if there's a peripheral activity such as drinking that you choose to go for a nice walk instead, well....so be it. I don't see that as rude, but then I do agree the better thing is just not to go to start with. "

Before we joined this club there were several long term members whose main function was drinking. We went on several cruises with them and noticed it was the old timers who got real drunk, but the younger ones (my age and lower) who seemed to enjoy a beer or three, but nobody got out of hand or got drunk.

Now, here we are several years later. The older members (the drunks) have all left the club. It's not a club of teetotalers but more a club of very moderate drinkers. I think I had about 6 beers all weekend. GW and I took a few walks, walked the docks looking at boats, and spend time just taking naps on our boat.

Nobody said anything, nobody cared, probably nobody even noticed we were not part of the group. Were we antisocial? I don't think so. There is no unwritten rule that you have to stick with the group all weekend. Heck, the couple on the Nordic Tug brought their bikes and took hours-long rides each day. People 'applauded' their efforts and no comments were made about them being anti-social.

Like I said, it's a great bunch of boaters.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:05 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Just to be clear, The OP's cruise looked like a lot of fun with friendly boaters enjoying an appropriate amount of alcohol. That is a type of group activity that I would enjoy.
Wifey B: Agreed. It wasn't the OP who got us on the subject. It was mention of other clubs.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:29 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
...I did have to spend the rest of the day genuflecting and singing her praises to the rest of the boaters, bring her fresh glasses of wine, etc., but it was worth it.
A small price to pay.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:43 PM   #29
GFC
Guru

Truer words were never spoken Larry.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:02 AM   #30
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Awesome Mike. Looks like you had fun. Have a Klondike! I found our stash!!!!
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:13 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
I don't understand that. It's not my idea of boating. Don't need a boat to get drunk. That's one of many reasons we don't belong to a group as with so many it just seems it's way too much centered around drinking. Just not for me. We drink but not really while cruising. Mostly celebratory with just each other, jacuzzi, champagne, chocolate dipped strawberries, more berries, fruit and maybe some small bites of protein on toothpicks. Three or four times a year maybe. But cruising to bars has zero appeal to me.
I second that.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:24 AM   #32
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Wifey B: No....no no no....that's the mentality we have to teach the kids not to have. You're never obligated to do what the group does. They can go get drunk, you can drink water or go for a walk. If they deem that to be anti-social then to h... with them. Please say no to the crowd mentality.

But if that's their interest, then it's best to go alone. We take our friends with us.
I second that attitude also...

I remember once going out after work one Friday night, (you know, back in the olden days when Friday was literally the last day of the working week), with 2 co-workers to a local watering hole in Dunedin, NZ. We each got what I think you folk would call a schooner of beer, and two us us were sipping ours and enjoying them while chatting about the week's events, when we noticed the third member of the group was skulling his like there was no tomorrow. Sort of in unison, we asked him how on earth he could even taste his beer, drinking it down that fast? His response was to say..."Taste it...we're not here to taste it, we're here to get p*ssed aren't we. To which we both said no, and no thanks, and shamed him into slowing down. He later became an alcoholic...:non ono:

Sorry, thread hijack over, back to enjoying group outings...