Ouch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cnbirrell

OK, I knew at some point it would happen ..... I was filling up with diesel and it didn't shut off quite the way I expected and I got a good splash on my perfect old teak deck. Any ideas on how to remedy this ugly looking splotch?
Thanks,
Craig

Don't worry about it. The fuel will weather out of the teak fairly quickly. We've had the occasional splash onto the deck planks and it's gone when we come up to the boat the following weekend.

These days I pour a small pail of water on the deck at the deck fills (before removing the caps:) ) and this seems to prevent any splashes from soaking into the boards. But even before I started doing this, fuel "stains" disappeared on their own in pretty short order.

That's with natural (no finish) teak deck planks. I have no idea what would happen if one has Cetol or oil on their decks as we don't do that and never would.

Thanks ..... it's a natural deck, 40 years old, and I had visions of diesel permanently changing it. I'll relax.

My occasional oops vanishes on the teak deck as well. I even spilled a bit of lock graphite a while back. It, too, was gone in about a week or two.

Ignore it. It'll be gone before you know it.

Just don't spill a beer or cocktail on the deck. that would be a real tragedy.

Back
Top Bottom