Old 04-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Oak Harbor WA.
Vessel Name: Slow Flight
Vessel Model: CHB 45
Otters be gone!

Well I hope it's not to soon to say it worked, but so far so good. We moved in to our new home last June and much to my surprise there were already several residents making home here as well. A family of Otters visited our dock on a regular basis. Fun to watch but what they leave behind is unacceptable. We tried many home remedies like ammonia, Simple Green, moth balls and a variety of soaps. I even thought about rounding the dock with an electric fence but my luck it would shock the s*#t out of them and I'm back to square one.
I did some reading to find out the natural predators of otters. The Bald Eagle. So I put one of those Bald Eagle things on a stick with the rotating wings that spin with the slightest breeze and ............. Well, so far, so good. I watched the Otters pass by stopping several times to look then moving on.
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:34 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
YOu might find you need to move the eagle to a different location periodially or they will figure it out. Don't wait untill they do so.

The comment about the eagle is good though.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:37 PM   #3
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Well I hope it's not to soon to say it worked, but so far so good. We moved in to our new home last June and much to my surprise there were already several residents making home here as well. A family of Otters visited our dock on a regular basis. Fun to watch but what they leave behind is unacceptable. We tried many home remedies like ammonia, Simple Green, moth balls and a variety of soaps. I even thought about rounding the dock with an electric fence but my luck it would shock the s*#t out of them and I'm back to square one.
I did some reading to find out the natural predators of otters. The Bald Eagle. So I put one of those Bald Eagle things on a stick with the rotating wings that spin with the slightest breeze and ............. Well, so far, so good. I watched the Otters pass by stopping several times to look then moving on.
Let us know how you make out. We have the same problem at our dock in Campbell River, with the added bonus that when I'm walking to or from the boat on a quiet night they have a nasty habit of suddenly splashing into the water. It has the potential for leaving one's own deposits on the dock...
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:45 PM   #4
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
I hate those stinky little water rats!
Have you tried the rock salt on the dock trick?
Hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:53 PM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Q. Ta-dah!!!! Otterhound Information and Pictures, Otterhounds
We don't need no stinkin' eagle...
Old 04-09-2014, 12:36 AM   #6
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
we're talking River Otters, right?
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:15 AM   #7
FF
Guru

There are a few recipes in my brides Manatee Cook Book !

Light the barby!!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #8

We used to have that problem in Anacortes. The Otters seemed to like doing their business on top of the coiled mooring lines and on the top level of our boarding steps. Some one suggested using vinegar so I mixed up a strong solution with water in a spray bottle. I would spray the swim step, the full length of the dock edge, lines and steps when I left the boat. They never came back.
The Great North West
Slowboat 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We had friends who used a high volume hose/sprinkler connected to a motion sensor.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:50 AM   #10
Guru

Now if only someone had a remedy for those high altitude bombing runs by the local gulls club.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #11
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
Now if only someone had a remedy for those high altitude bombing runs by the local gulls club.
I would encourage and participate in feeding the gulls if we could get them to bomb the otters........especially clam dropping....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:54 PM   #12
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowboat 37 View Post
We used to have that problem in Anacortes. The Otters seemed to like doing their business on top of the coiled mooring lines and on the top level of our boarding steps. Some one suggested using vinegar so I mixed up a strong solution with water in a spray bottle. I would spray the swim step, the full length of the dock edge, lines and steps when I left the boat. They never came back.
Thanks. Good to know. Any idea if it works on other invasive species, like spiders?
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #13
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Why don't we just get rid of all wildlife

I am constantly amazed how people move into some animals' habitat and then expect the animal to move on, learn to dance, do your laundrywhatever

Move to Seattle, they got rid of the otters years ago.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:05 AM   #14
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
Why don't we just get rid of all wildlife

I am constantly amazed how people move into some animals' habitat and then expect the animal to move on, learn to dance, do your laundrywhatever

Move to Seattle, they got rid of the otters years ago.
I don't think anybody has a issue when the Otters are in their habitat...

It is when they invade ours... a boat is not their natural habitat.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:08 AM   #15
Guru

Otters are like any other neighbors...I love'm till they crap on my property....
Old 04-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #16
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Hollywood and psneeld the Otters were there first ... they are crapping on THEIR property.

But I don't adhere to the philosophy of whoever was there furst gets all the rights. But on the other hand man should NOT just through the animals under the bus because they got in the way.

Ketchikan Yacht Club is right at the mouth of Ketchikan Creek. The Otters were there for thousands of years before the man god showed up and I'd say they have rights. They shouldn't be thrown out like the garbage just because man can't control his propagation habits.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #17
Guru

Where's a good QBBL line picture when you need one.....
Old 04-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Oak Harbor WA.
Vessel Name: Slow Flight
Vessel Model: CHB 45
OK, so here's a question nature boy. Would you train you dog to poop outside or just let him poop in the house? A few days ago I stopped my truck got out and removed a stunned Robin from the middle of the road before the little guy got squished. I love animals, even Otters but God gave them millions of miles of coastline, rivers and beaches to poop on. Using our docks is no different then your dog using your living room. It's just convenient for them. I am not hurting them by directing them back to the beach any more than you would be hurting your dog to direct him to the front yard. Cover the cockpit floor of the KK with Otter poop and see if you don't agree.
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Thanks. Good to know. Any idea if it works on other invasive species, like spiders?
No idea, never really had any other issues with any other creatures except those pesky Dungeness that keep crawling into my pot. I'm not complaining you understand.
The Great North West
Slowboat 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #20
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
........ Ketchikan Yacht Club is right at the mouth of Ketchikan Creek. The Otters were there for thousands of years before the man god showed up and I'd say they have rights..........
Sounds like the Indians vs. the white guys.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote