Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-08-2014, 11:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member
 
Quicksilver's Avatar
 
City: Oak Harbor WA.
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Flight
Vessel Model: CHB 45
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 34
Otters be gone!

Well I hope it's not to soon to say it worked, but so far so good. We moved in to our new home last June and much to my surprise there were already several residents making home here as well. A family of Otters visited our dock on a regular basis. Fun to watch but what they leave behind is unacceptable. We tried many home remedies like ammonia, Simple Green, moth balls and a variety of soaps. I even thought about rounding the dock with an electric fence but my luck it would shock the s*#t out of them and I'm back to square one.
I did some reading to find out the natural predators of otters. The Bald Eagle. So I put one of those Bald Eagle things on a stick with the rotating wings that spin with the slightest breeze and ............. Well, so far, so good. I watched the Otters pass by stopping several times to look then moving on.
__________________
Advertisement

Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:34 PM   #2
Guru
 
C lectric's Avatar
 
City: Somewhere
Country: , Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,874
YOu might find you need to move the eagle to a different location periodially or they will figure it out. Don't wait untill they do so.

The comment about the eagle is good though.
__________________

C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:37 PM   #3
Guru
 
Conrad's Avatar
 
City: Calgary
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Well I hope it's not to soon to say it worked, but so far so good. We moved in to our new home last June and much to my surprise there were already several residents making home here as well. A family of Otters visited our dock on a regular basis. Fun to watch but what they leave behind is unacceptable. We tried many home remedies like ammonia, Simple Green, moth balls and a variety of soaps. I even thought about rounding the dock with an electric fence but my luck it would shock the s*#t out of them and I'm back to square one.
I did some reading to find out the natural predators of otters. The Bald Eagle. So I put one of those Bald Eagle things on a stick with the rotating wings that spin with the slightest breeze and ............. Well, so far, so good. I watched the Otters pass by stopping several times to look then moving on.
Let us know how you make out. We have the same problem at our dock in Campbell River, with the added bonus that when I'm walking to or from the boat on a quiet night they have a nasty habit of suddenly splashing into the water. It has the potential for leaving one's own deposits on the dock...
__________________
Conrad
Berthed in
Campbell River BC
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:45 PM   #4
Guru
 
hollywood8118's Avatar
 
City: Port Townsend Washington
Country: USA
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Well I hope it's not to soon to say it worked, but so far so good. We moved in to our new home last June and much to my surprise there were already several residents making home here as well. A family of Otters visited our dock on a regular basis. Fun to watch but what they leave behind is unacceptable. We tried many home remedies like ammonia, Simple Green, moth balls and a variety of soaps. I even thought about rounding the dock with an electric fence but my luck it would shock the s*#t out of them and I'm back to square one.
I did some reading to find out the natural predators of otters. The Bald Eagle. So I put one of those Bald Eagle things on a stick with the rotating wings that spin with the slightest breeze and ............. Well, so far, so good. I watched the Otters pass by stopping several times to look then moving on.
I hate those stinky little water rats!
Have you tried the rock salt on the dock trick?
Hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:53 PM   #5
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,997
Greetings,
Mr. Q. Ta-dah!!!! Otterhound Information and Pictures, Otterhounds
We don't need no stinkin' eagle...
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:36 AM   #6
Guru
 
Conrad's Avatar
 
City: Calgary
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,553
we're talking River Otters, right?
__________________
Conrad
Berthed in
Campbell River BC
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:15 AM   #7
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,534
There are a few recipes in my brides Manatee Cook Book !

Light the barby!!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:25 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Slowboat 37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 191
We used to have that problem in Anacortes. The Otters seemed to like doing their business on top of the coiled mooring lines and on the top level of our boarding steps. Some one suggested using vinegar so I mixed up a strong solution with water in a spray bottle. I would spray the swim step, the full length of the dock edge, lines and steps when I left the boat. They never came back.
__________________
Steve Pryor
1979 Hershine 37
Lilli Belle
The Great North West
Slowboat 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #9
TF Site Team
 
Larry M's Avatar
 
City: JAX, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,750
We had friends who used a high volume hose/sprinkler connected to a motion sensor.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:50 AM   #10
Guru
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,740
Now if only someone had a remedy for those high altitude bombing runs by the local gulls club.
__________________
Jay Leonard
Attitude Adjustment
40 Albin
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #11
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
Now if only someone had a remedy for those high altitude bombing runs by the local gulls club.
I would encourage and participate in feeding the gulls if we could get them to bomb the otters........especially clam dropping....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:54 PM   #12
Guru
 
angus99's Avatar
 
City: Signal Mtn., TN
Country: US
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowboat 37 View Post
We used to have that problem in Anacortes. The Otters seemed to like doing their business on top of the coiled mooring lines and on the top level of our boarding steps. Some one suggested using vinegar so I mixed up a strong solution with water in a spray bottle. I would spray the swim step, the full length of the dock edge, lines and steps when I left the boat. They never came back.
Thanks. Good to know. Any idea if it works on other invasive species, like spiders?
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #13
Dauntless Award
 
Wxx3's Avatar
 
City: New York, NY
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,313
Why don't we just get rid of all wildlife

I am constantly amazed how people move into some animals' habitat and then expect the animal to move on, learn to dance, do your laundrywhatever

Move to Seattle, they got rid of the otters years ago.
__________________
M/Y Dauntless, New York
a Kadey Krogen 42 Currently https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Blog: https://dauntlessatsea.com
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #14
Guru
 
hollywood8118's Avatar
 
City: Port Townsend Washington
Country: USA
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
Why don't we just get rid of all wildlife

I am constantly amazed how people move into some animals' habitat and then expect the animal to move on, learn to dance, do your laundrywhatever

Move to Seattle, they got rid of the otters years ago.
I don't think anybody has a issue when the Otters are in their habitat...

It is when they invade ours... a boat is not their natural habitat.


HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #15
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,928
Otters are like any other neighbors...I love'm till they crap on my property....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #16
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,724
Hollywood and psneeld the Otters were there first ... they are crapping on THEIR property.

But I don't adhere to the philosophy of whoever was there furst gets all the rights. But on the other hand man should NOT just through the animals under the bus because they got in the way.

Ketchikan Yacht Club is right at the mouth of Ketchikan Creek. The Otters were there for thousands of years before the man god showed up and I'd say they have rights. They shouldn't be thrown out like the garbage just because man can't control his propagation habits.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #17
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,928
Where's a good QBBL line picture when you need one.....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member
 
Quicksilver's Avatar
 
City: Oak Harbor WA.
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Flight
Vessel Model: CHB 45
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 34
OK, so here's a question nature boy. Would you train you dog to poop outside or just let him poop in the house? A few days ago I stopped my truck got out and removed a stunned Robin from the middle of the road before the little guy got squished. I love animals, even Otters but God gave them millions of miles of coastline, rivers and beaches to poop on. Using our docks is no different then your dog using your living room. It's just convenient for them. I am not hurting them by directing them back to the beach any more than you would be hurting your dog to direct him to the front yard. Cover the cockpit floor of the KK with Otter poop and see if you don't agree.
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:29 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Slowboat 37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Thanks. Good to know. Any idea if it works on other invasive species, like spiders?
No idea, never really had any other issues with any other creatures except those pesky Dungeness that keep crawling into my pot. I'm not complaining you understand.
__________________
Steve Pryor
1979 Hershine 37
Lilli Belle
The Great North West
Slowboat 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #20
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
........ Ketchikan Yacht Club is right at the mouth of Ketchikan Creek. The Otters were there for thousands of years before the man god showed up and I'd say they have rights..........
Sounds like the Indians vs. the white guys.
__________________

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012