Old 12-28-2014, 07:22 PM   #1

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Selkie
Vessel Model: Canoe Cove 41
otters

This is probably not a problem for many boaters, but here in the Pnw, even in saltwater, river otters getting up onto the docks can be a big nuisance. My wife and I were down at the boat today doing some maintenance work, and as we walked along the back side of the boat shed, we noticed that there was fresh otter scat right where I had hosed it off the concrete sidewalk a week or so previously. I applied new licence numbers to our boat today and to get at the port side I pulled the bow across to the other side of our two stall berth, so I could get at the other side of the boat. I noticed the boat in the next stall, with black mooring lines, had otter scat all over the lines where the dock cleat is mounted. What a nice surprise to discover for the absentee owner.
When we bought our boat, it was in an individual shed and there was an electric fence 3" high around the edge of the berth. No otter scat.
We own horses and have found that electric fencing is a very effective tool to keep horses out of where you don't want them to be. I'm thinking of suggesting to the marina owner that an electric fence otter deterrent be installed on the dock. Anybody else experience this possibly uniquely Pnw problem?
saltcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:33 PM   #2
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Not in the PNW and no otter problem here but when my oranges start getting ripe it is like rininging a dinnerbell for the local racoon population. I solved the problem by putting up a low, about 8" above the ground electric fence single wire. They test it the first night it is out, and never come back. Not wanting to fry any of the local pets or Grandkids I bought the "Pet Friendly" version which delivers a smaller jolt, but it sure does work!. I don't know just how you would ground it on a dock or boat but I have read of it working on boats before.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Hose the scat. Don't have otters here, but ducks do their thing.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:51 PM   #4
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Mark, those are the good eatin' kind!
Old 12-28-2014, 07:56 PM   #5

The boat shed is only 15 feet from dry land. Should be easy to install a ground spike with a bit of extra wire to allow for the tides. My friend has a problem with Racoons and his plum tree. Every year a few Racoons climb his tree and camp out there until the plums are gone. They go 24-7. You can imagine the mess!
Old 12-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Saltcod- I do wish that some person DID have a solution!! We have the same issue here but on our property. Seems the hollow ground near the creek that runs through the property serves as a nesting area for pupping. We have tried the following with nil results.
1-Mothballs secured in netting made from ladies nylon stockings hung in the various access holes about the trees.-Nope!
2. Poured diesel fuel down the various holes hoping to discourage them with petroleum scent -Nope!
3. offered trapping to a local young trapper- Result-1 otter and 1 Ceylonese feral cat.
4. Electrical battery operated animal detected/light/noise- Nope!
anti-freeze and somewhere from my youth they have changed the formula to prevent poison of animals (and kids- a good thing) So that was out
6. Can't shoot them as they are protected and the same for the poison ideal so both of those are out. Not to speak to the holy hell you can expect if you even show a gun much less fire one!!

The latest solution heard is to gather up cat piss and pour that in the entry way. Well if that were to be the solution, then why was a living cat sniffing about the entry enabling it to become trapped? So I don't think that is the answer.

It may be that a "Digging Dog" of some size that by its breed is a "Rodent Hunter" might be a solution except when we retired, we released the gold fish into the tolet to end owning animals of any kind.

You now have the serious efforts to address the issue. Good Luck and please if you find a solution remember me!!

Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:52 PM   #7
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Mark, those are the good eatin' kind!
Yes, but they are too much like trusting pets for me to eat.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:55 PM   #8

I don't think otters are protected here, maybe they are. Nevertheless, those little f*ckers make a mess of a lot of boats. They are nothing but a nuisance. I've even been Steelhead fishing and an otter grabbed my fishing partner's fish while he was playing it. I threw a rock at it and he dropped the fish. Say what you want about Ring of Bright Water, they are rats of the river.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:58 PM   #9
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltcod View Post
I don't think otters are protected here, maybe they are. Nevertheless, those little f*ckers make a mess of a lot of boats. They are nothing but a nuisance. I've even been Steelhead fishing and an otter grabbed my fishing partner's fish while he was playing it. I threw a rock at it and he dropped the fish. Say what you want about Ring of Bright Water, they are rats of the river.
Maybe the otter has a similar opinion of you. ... Otters are cute. Negative feelings toward them are improper.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #10
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
""""""Maybe the otter has a similar opinion of you. ... Otters are cute. Negative feelings toward them are improper."""""""

Rubbish.
They are rats. i have had them them. I know people who have had their boats damaged by them costing thousands of dollars for repairs. Yes, the insurance co. got to pay it. A sailboat next door had one get caught in the furled mainsail. The sail survived, the otter didn't and what a mess.

They cr=p all over the boat, tear apart their prey and the stink left is not easily gotten rid of and it i strong.

Yes they are cute and interesting to watch, but if you had them aboard to paint your boat the way many of us on the west coast here have our boats painted you WOULD feel differently.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:20 PM   #11
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
First world problems, indeed.

I have otters here in NC. I just wish they would wipe their feet. Tracks everywhere.

I'll gladly put up with the nuisance.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Saltcod- I do wish that some person DID have a solution!! We have the same issue here but on our property. Seems the hollow ground near the creek that runs through the property serves as a nesting area for pupping. We have tried the following with nil results.
1-Mothballs secured in netting made from ladies nylon stockings hung in the various access holes about the trees.-Nope!
2. Poured diesel fuel down the various holes hoping to discourage them with petroleum scent -Nope!
3. offered trapping to a local young trapper- Result-1 otter and 1 Ceylonese feral cat.
4. Electrical battery operated animal detected/light/noise- Nope!
anti-freeze and somewhere from my youth they have changed the formula to prevent poison of animals (and kids- a good thing) So that was out
6. Can't shoot them as they are protected and the same for the poison ideal so both of those are out. Not to speak to the holy hell you can expect if you even show a gun much less fire one!!

The latest solution heard is to gather up cat piss and pour that in the entry way. Well if that were to be the solution, then why was a living cat sniffing about the entry enabling it to become trapped? So I don't think that is the answer.

It may be that a "Digging Dog" of some size that by its breed is a "Rodent Hunter" might be a solution except when we retired, we released the gold fish into the tolet to end owning animals of any kind.

You now have the serious efforts to address the issue. Good Luck and please if you find a solution remember me!!

Al
Have you tried the propane trick? I've seen this done with prairie dogs. (gophers) Fill the otter hole with propane, then remotely ignite the propane. Usually effective, for gophers, anyway...
Old 12-28-2014, 10:16 PM   #13
Master and Commander

Thank goodness, rats (meaning real rats) aren't protected here as I've poisoned and shot them with a pistol (non-USA citizens chew your hearts out) because they munch and poop in/through my home.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...ounds?a=289683
Old 12-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #14
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
A Scatmat (or some gnarly farm supply alternative) might work if they keep pooping in the same place, or climbing onto your boat via the swimstep;

Old 12-28-2014, 10:33 PM   #15

City: Vancouver BC
Our River otters are about the size of a medium dog so there is a lot of power there if they decide to do damage.
I would assume that the only reason they come aboard is because there is a food source there or they smell the trace of some, eliminate the source and they should go away.
Attached Thumbnails
River Otter (3).jpg  
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:49 PM   #16
Guru

River otters can be seen all over BC's coast where they cruise the near shore waters in search of food, and are seen tens of miles from the nearest river. They treat boats and docks like logs or rocks in that they'll catch some food, then head ashore to eat it.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:51 PM   #17
Guru

As an aside...they also engage in what can only be described as recreational sex. Very vigorous, very drawn out, and very "grunty".
Old 12-28-2014, 11:09 PM   #18
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Saltcod,

No but the thought of dumping gas down the various holes when I know they are in the root system is very tempting. Only thing holding be back is the treat of a sub ground smoldering fire. The roots system are red cedar and while moist, Aaaaaaaaa not brave enough to pull the trigger on the idea. coming though, coming along more as I type!!

Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
As an aside...they also engage in what can only be described as recreational sex. Very vigorous, very drawn out, and very "grunty".
Sounds awesome! I just want them off the dock. They habitually crap in the same place on the concrete dock. Yes, they are very cute, we watched a pair swimming faithfully side by side in Saanich Inlet for 1/2 an hour a couple of months ago. I'm not interested in killing them, I would just like to deter them from making the boathouse a defacating point.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:24 PM   #20
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
I'm trying to avoid a mental picture of that.