otters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltcod

Vessel Name
Selkie
Vessel Make
Canoe Cove 41
This is probably not a problem for many boaters, but here in the Pnw, even in saltwater, river otters getting up onto the docks can be a big nuisance. My wife and I were down at the boat today doing some maintenance work, and as we walked along the back side of the boat shed, we noticed that there was fresh otter scat right where I had hosed it off the concrete sidewalk a week or so previously. I applied new licence numbers to our boat today and to get at the port side I pulled the bow across to the other side of our two stall berth, so I could get at the other side of the boat. I noticed the boat in the next stall, with black mooring lines, had otter scat all over the lines where the dock cleat is mounted. What a nice surprise to discover for the absentee owner.
When we bought our boat, it was in an individual shed and there was an electric fence 3" high around the edge of the berth. No otter scat.
We own horses and have found that electric fencing is a very effective tool to keep horses out of where you don't want them to be. I'm thinking of suggesting to the marina owner that an electric fence otter deterrent be installed on the dock. Anybody else experience this possibly uniquely Pnw problem?

Not in the PNW and no otter problem here but when my oranges start getting ripe it is like rininging a dinnerbell for the local racoon population. I solved the problem by putting up a low, about 8" above the ground electric fence single wire. They test it the first night it is out, and never come back. Not wanting to fry any of the local pets or Grandkids I bought the "Pet Friendly" version which delivers a smaller jolt, but it sure does work!. I don't know just how you would ground it on a dock or boat but I have read of it working on boats before.

Hose the scat. Don't have otters here, but ducks do their thing.

img_294254_0_91398e13f2f4da577cf83c6ebdd92a55.jpg

Mark, those are the good eatin' kind!

The boat shed is only 15 feet from dry land. Should be easy to install a ground spike with a bit of extra wire to allow for the tides. My friend has a problem with Racoons and his plum tree. Every year a few Racoons climb his tree and camp out there until the plums are gone. They go 24-7. You can imagine the mess!

Saltcod- I do wish that some person DID have a solution!! We have the same issue here but on our property. Seems the hollow ground near the creek that runs through the property serves as a nesting area for pupping. We have tried the following with nil results.
1-Mothballs secured in netting made from ladies nylon stockings hung in the various access holes about the trees.-Nope!
2. Poured diesel fuel down the various holes hoping to discourage them with petroleum scent -Nope!
3. offered trapping to a local young trapper- Result-1 otter and 1 Ceylonese feral cat.
4. Electrical battery operated animal detected/light/noise- Nope!
anti-freeze and somewhere from my youth they have changed the formula to prevent poison of animals (and kids- a good thing) So that was out
6. Can't shoot them as they are protected and the same for the poison ideal so both of those are out. Not to speak to the holy hell you can expect if you even show a gun much less fire one!!

The latest solution heard is to gather up cat piss and pour that in the entry way. Well if that were to be the solution, then why was a living cat sniffing about the entry enabling it to become trapped? So I don't think that is the answer.

It may be that a "Digging Dog" of some size that by its breed is a "Rodent Hunter" might be a solution except when we retired, we released the gold fish into the tolet to end owning animals of any kind.

You now have the serious efforts to address the issue. Good Luck and please if you find a solution remember me!!

Al

I don't think otters are protected here, maybe they are. Nevertheless, those little f*ckers make a mess of a lot of boats. They are nothing but a nuisance. I've even been Steelhead fishing and an otter grabbed my fishing partner's fish while he was playing it. I threw a rock at it and he dropped the fish. Say what you want about Ring of Bright Water, they are rats of the river.

I don't think otters are protected here, maybe they are. Nevertheless, those little f*ckers make a mess of a lot of boats. They are nothing but a nuisance. I've even been Steelhead fishing and an otter grabbed my fishing partner's fish while he was playing it. I threw a rock at it and he dropped the fish. Say what you want about Ring of Bright Water, they are rats of the river.

Maybe the otter has a similar opinion of you. :flowers: ... Otters are cute. Negative feelings toward them are improper.

""""""Maybe the otter has a similar opinion of you. :flowers: ... Otters are cute. Negative feelings toward them are improper."""""""

Rubbish.
They are rats. i have had them them. I know people who have had their boats damaged by them costing thousands of dollars for repairs. Yes, the insurance co. got to pay it. A sailboat next door had one get caught in the furled mainsail. The sail survived, the otter didn't and what a mess.

They cr=p all over the boat, tear apart their prey and the stink left is not easily gotten rid of and it i strong.

Yes they are cute and interesting to watch, but if you had them aboard to paint your boat the way many of us on the west coast here have our boats painted you WOULD feel differently.

First world problems, indeed.

I have otters here in NC. I just wish they would wipe their feet. Tracks everywhere.

I'll gladly put up with the nuisance.

Saltcod- I do wish that some person DID have a solution!! We have the same issue here but on our property. Seems the hollow ground near the creek that runs through the property serves as a nesting area for pupping. We have tried the following with nil results.
1-Mothballs secured in netting made from ladies nylon stockings hung in the various access holes about the trees.-Nope!
2. Poured diesel fuel down the various holes hoping to discourage them with petroleum scent -Nope!
3. offered trapping to a local young trapper- Result-1 otter and 1 Ceylonese feral cat.
4. Electrical battery operated animal detected/light/noise- Nope!
anti-freeze and somewhere from my youth they have changed the formula to prevent poison of animals (and kids- a good thing) So that was out
6. Can't shoot them as they are protected and the same for the poison ideal so both of those are out. Not to speak to the holy hell you can expect if you even show a gun much less fire one!!

The latest solution heard is to gather up cat piss and pour that in the entry way. Well if that were to be the solution, then why was a living cat sniffing about the entry enabling it to become trapped? So I don't think that is the answer.

It may be that a "Digging Dog" of some size that by its breed is a "Rodent Hunter" might be a solution except when we retired, we released the gold fish into the tolet to end owning animals of any kind.

You now have the serious efforts to address the issue. Good Luck and please if you find a solution remember me!!

Al

Have you tried the propane trick? I've seen this done with prairie dogs. (gophers) Fill the otter hole with propane, then remotely ignite the propane. Usually effective, for gophers, anyway...

A Scatmat (or some gnarly farm supply alternative) might work if they keep pooping in the same place, or climbing onto your boat via the swimstep;

Our River otters are about the size of a medium dog so there is a lot of power there if they decide to do damage.
I would assume that the only reason they come aboard is because there is a food source there or they smell the trace of some, eliminate the source and they should go away.

Attachments

• River Otter (3).jpg
    River Otter (3).jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 109
River otters can be seen all over BC's coast where they cruise the near shore waters in search of food, and are seen tens of miles from the nearest river. They treat boats and docks like logs or rocks in that they'll catch some food, then head ashore to eat it.

Last edited:
As an aside...they also engage in what can only be described as recreational sex. Very vigorous, very drawn out, and very "grunty".

Saltcod,

No but the thought of dumping gas down the various holes when I know they are in the root system is very tempting. Only thing holding be back is the treat of a sub ground smoldering fire. The roots system are red cedar and while moist, Aaaaaaaaa not brave enough to pull the trigger on the idea. coming though, coming along more as I type!!

Al

As an aside...they also engage in what can only be described as recreational sex. Very vigorous, very drawn out, and very "grunty".
Sounds awesome! I just want them off the dock. They habitually crap in the same place on the concrete dock. Yes, they are very cute, we watched a pair swimming faithfully side by side in Saanich Inlet for 1/2 an hour a couple of months ago. I'm not interested in killing them, I would just like to deter them from making the boathouse a defacating point.

I'm trying to avoid a mental picture of that.

I'm trying to avoid a mental picture of that.

Here, let me help :)

Think waterborn rolling and intertwining of equal intensity by both otters, accompanied by rhythmic grunting.

Remember if you decide to go this route they taste like chicken !

""""""Maybe the otter has a similar opinion of you. :flowers: ... Otters are cute. Negative feelings toward them are improper."""""""

Rubbish.
They are rats. i have had them them. I know people who have had their boats damaged by them costing thousands of dollars for repairs. Yes, the insurance co. got to pay it. A sailboat next door had one get caught in the furled mainsail. The sail survived, the otter didn't and what a mess.

They cr=p all over the boat, tear apart their prey and the stink left is not easily gotten rid of and it i strong.

Yes they are cute and interesting to watch, but if you had them aboard to paint your boat the way many of us on the west coast here have our boats painted you WOULD feel differently.

I know someone who kept their sailboat on Bowen Island. A family of otters got in board and the result was a sizeable insurance claim. Nasty animals!

I used an electric fence to keep raccoons out of my fish pond and it worked well. The dog had the misfortune of touching it once, poor thing! The problem with the e-fence is you have to ground the whole thing and that's harder to do on a boat and dock setup. It works best when things are damp and probably won't work with a dry boat or dock. Also, not sure how it would work around salt water--probably not well is my suspicion.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

No otters but have seen several boats damaged by muskrats. They like to chew thru out drive rubber boots and crawl up exhaust pipes and chew thru exhaust hoses if they are not protected by capping or wire mesh. They sank a boat that had not replaced worn out exhaust pipe wire mesh a few years ago. They also like to tunnel into foam floatation used on floating docks. Not sure if they are a protected by state game laws, but many have had a 22 cal ending to their foraging.
I doubt if there are any muskrat recipes available.
OOPS just goggled "muskrat recipes" and many web sites, seems like "it taste like rabbit", but that was a quote from someone living in Alaska.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Sounds awesome! I just want them off the dock. They habitually crap in the same place on the concrete dock. Yes, they are very cute, we watched a pair swimming faithfully side by side in Saanich Inlet for 1/2 an hour a couple of months ago. I'm not interested in killing them, I would just like to deter them from making the boathouse a defacating point.
Why they poop on the docklines is a mystery to me, but they do.

The only two things I have found that worked on my canvas covered sailboat was a fence charger as you suggest and collected Tupperware containers of dog poo on the deck. For Delfin during the wintertime, I just keep the hatch in so they can't board the vessel and **** all over the place, and hose off the lines as needed.

The yacht club up river from me has a lot of boat houses and those critter can make a mess! Most leave a radio on and a light or two, which seems to send them else where.

No, I don't want to kill them either. I like to watch them when I;m aboard along with the other animals, birds, fish.

I just don't want them aboard as they can be destructive and leave a stinking mess that can be difficult to deodorize. If they get inside because you forgot a hatch or window then the interior is usually ruined.

Here, otters are cute little guys, endlessly playing water games, amusing zoo visitors. Zoos prefer the smaller Asian variety. I`ve seen yours in the wild, much larger brutes, capable of causing damage and mess.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom