Old 12-31-2014, 12:00 PM   #41
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
River otters are not protected in washington..
I can confirm they hate being hosed with a high pressure nozzle..
I absolutely detest river otters, sea otters are really cool though.
My family named our Ocean Alexander "Otter"..
I lost the debate due to being out numbered.

Go figure,

Hollywood
I perfectly understand why they would want to name the boat Otter after viewing this:

Kind of brings tears to my eyes.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:00 PM   #42

City: Oakland,Ca
I had a friend in Port Townsend who was having trouble with Otters on his sailboat, especially in winter when it was covered for weeks at a time. His solution was to hang small bottles of Piss on his lifelines. Three on each side. He used those little four once juice bottles. Problem solved.

When I was the security guard in my marina, people were always crying about the risk from raccoons. Since there is no getting rid of them permanently, because they eat the mussels that grow on the docks, I would find the places they were going, or the places they were hiding on the docks and pee on their dens. That seemed to keep them away for a few weeks at least.

Lutarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:18 PM   #43

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Alameda Marina last year:

Old 12-31-2014, 06:28 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Electric fence units can control almost anything,humans ,elephants dingoes,even flies.
You can use a mesh and hot wire or pos and neg wires.The critters just have come into contact with pos and neg at the same time.
flashwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:00 AM   #45
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpbrady View Post
Al,

River otters are legal tender in the fur business. Get your trapping license and have at it. I have several river otter pelts at home and their fur is really nice.

Tom
I guess if you think it's cool to deprive an otter of the rest of its life because it poops on your dock lines that's fine.

Personally, I just wash off the dock lines and let the otter carry on living.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:29 AM   #46

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I guess if you think it's cool to deprive an otter of the rest of its life because it poops on your dock lines that's fine.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:55 AM   #47

City: Stroudsburg, PA
habitat conditions

Not to be a bummer, but none of the solutions will work for long so long as there are river otters, because marinas and docks create ideal river otter habitat: mussels and other edible stuff on the pilings, docks that provide overhead protection from osprey and eagle for fish, docks and boats that are better than riverbanks for sunning and tearing apart food they've caught. If you provide the right habitat, wildlife will come. It's pretty much a rule in wildlife management circles. Food and shelter = habitat.
We have a similar problem with deer here in northeast Pennsylvania: One-acre wooded subdivisions extending for hundreds of acres house incredible numbers of deer. In addition to a variety of foods from homeowners trying to grow flowers and shrubs, the housing density precludes the only deer predators of any consequence, human hunters. The deer are as tame as cattle and drive people who insist on having deer-friendly shrubs nuts. They also cause quite a few accidents and keep more than the normal number of auto body shops in business. The scat, since they are vegetarian, isn't a problem like the scales, bones, hair and stench you get from otters, though.
I think the solution to the otter problem may be learning to live with them, since they've already adapted to living with us.

Caveat: Trapping pressure can thin a population down across a region, but in the absence of high fur prices, that's not going to happen. Hiring a nuisance trapper will be expensive and will just create a small vacuum more otters will move into.

Info: River Otters - Living with Wildlife | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife

writerly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:54 PM   #48
Veteran Member

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Selkie
Vessel Model: Canoe Cove 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post

Electric horse fencing is non-lethal. Over many years of owning horses, I have touched the fence a few times. You just get a zap that makes you not want to touch it. Same with the otters. They soon learn to avoid the dock where they get a little zap. I see no need to do anything more than discourage them from coming up on the dock.
saltcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:05 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Thank goodness, rats (meaning real rats) aren't protected here as I've poisoned and shot them with a pistol (non-USA citizens chew your hearts out) because they munch and poop in/through my home.

CCI® Shot Shells .22 LR #12 20 rounds - 9553, .22lr Ammo at Sportsman's Guide
There has been some advocation here toward obtaining ones trapping licence. oddly enough here in Canada if you want to carry a handgun, you need to obtain a prospector's licence. Go figure.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:31 PM   #50
Guru

The fur looks much better while still on the live otter.
Easy for us though, we don`t have them crapping and fornicating on our boats.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:43 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
The fur looks much better while still on the live otter.
Easy for us though, we don`t have them crapping and fornicating on our boats.
They are pretty cute, but you should see my neighbour's docklines. He has no fancy coils of rope or anything like that, just a normal tie-up. The lines are heaped high with otter scat right on top of the dock cleats. I get it that they come up on the dock and treat it like a log. The only otter crap in the whole boatshed is on the concrete walk in front of his boat, and ALL OVER his dock cleats. Not sure that you could call this malicious, but it is a little puzzling. Unfortunately, hosing off the lines is not an option. The water has been shut off for a few weeks now as we endure the winter deep freeze. Not expecting water until March. It'll be interesting to see how high the sh*t gets before the water comes back on. I think I am going to have to take a bucket down to the shed and dip some bucketfulls to clean it up.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:52 PM   #52
Grand Vizier

I'm no expert on poo, but I would have to think that otter poo is at least a 9 out of 10 on the disgustometer. I think the pooping on the docklines is a territorial statement of some kind.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:22 PM   #53
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
I think the pooping on the docklines is a territorial statement of some kind.
Now and then the seagulls, or ducks, or cormorants develop a liking for a particular boat. Otters likewise? Do they have a non human predator?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:31 AM   #54
Scraping Paint

City: -
Wolves, foxes, wolverines, coyotes, eagles and hawks on their young. Life's not easy for anybody.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:39 PM   #55

City: Campbell River, B.C.
Vessel Name: Passiontide
Vessel Model: 35' CHB Sea Lord
Haven't read all of the threads about otter solutions but in checking out a new boathouse on the river here in town I did see the electric fence type deterrent on two berths; wire strung thru' insulators fastened to the dock edge. I imagine this goes to a transformer plugged into a shore power outlet (not in the least knowledgeable about power issues . . . I have a steep learning curve) but it did look cool with the flashing blue sensor light warning that the system was on. God help the person who in throwing a line over a cleat grabs the wire unknowingly when returning from a cruise! As soon as one was installed where they were having otter problems (man what a mess!) the little critters moved to the next berth . . . didn't like the shocks they were getting. Like cockroaches in a New York tenement, kick 'em out of one apartment and they move to the next one! So, that may keep them off my dock and I am going to place a few crab trap bait holders filled with mothballs on the swim grid to try to keep them off of there.

Will take some snaps of the system if there is good light and maybe a product name if here is one.

More later,
BB

I will talk to the owners of the boats with the electric wire defense system for more info and take a few pictures to post.
Barnacle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:36 PM   #56
Ted
Guru

Vessel Name: Okisollo
I rigged up a marina owner's boat house with this system in the early '80s.
It kept the otters out, and other pests as well.

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:40 PM   #57

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Ka_sea_ta
Vessel Model: 48 Defever
I'm a little late to this thread, but another issue with otters is they crawl into the exhaust then eat the rubber connector hose (more accurately chew through it) the boat sinks and it may not be covered by insurance...
Ka_sea_ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:30 AM   #58
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
I've not heard of otters crawling into and chewing through the exhaust system.

I have heard of muskrats doing that though. Muskrats are literally rats and chew and chew. To stop them entering exhausts a SS grid is needed to block entry to the exhaust made of wire something like 1/8 diam.

Either way critters of any type can cause us trouble.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:37 AM   #59
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
For some reason white vinegar splashed on the dock and lines seems to keep them at bay for us.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #60
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Don't otters just swim around docks with electric fences and climb up from the water? Must be fun when it gets foggy

1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote