Fly bridges are for ice cream boats.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:43 PM   #162
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Well...my ice cream boat has travelled around 10,000 miles in the last 5 years I have owned it.

How are the sorta sailboat, sorta powerboats doing these days?

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:20 PM   #163
Guru

City: West Coast
For visibility, the only thing better than a flybridge is a tower. That said, is used at least 10 x more than the flybridge. The tower gets more use than the flybridge too.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:08 PM   #164
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
For visibility, the only thing better than a flybridge is a tower. That said, is used at least 10 x more than the flybridge. The tower gets more use than the flybridge too.
I could never handle a tower. I will not walk up the steps to it. I know there's nothing to it, but it's one of those heights I can't deal with.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:13 PM   #165
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
If visibility is the reason for the FB there's not much of a case for them. Most boats seem to be fine to OK on visibility. Look at all the stuff many to most trawlers have on the foredeck to look through or around. If visibility was an issue many would clear the deck. And I don't see that happening.

NT had it right for years .. no stink'in FB. Mark taught me how to talk like that.
OK I've stired the pot enough. Fly bridges are fine as long as the boat's big enough. Something like a GB 36 and similar. Put your saws and claw hammers away ... no FB to remove. I'm still glad someone removed Willy's FB.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:32 PM   #166
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Helm Station Redundancy = Safety-Backup-Helm[s]

I pilot 99.5% on bridge. Start and warm up engines 90% of the time via lower helm in salon so I can listen to engines.

Each helm position has it's high points. For me, upper helm is much preferred to operate from. Lower helm is greatly useful while having salon engine compartment hatches wide open when servicing engines with needs to have them running and put into different rpm or transmission gears.

Having a bridge helm with full dials is just about my #1 boat requirement. Having two fully dialed helms is just about #2!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:16 AM   #167
Veteran Member

City: St. Petersburg
Vessel Name: Mariso
Vessel Model: (soon) Great Harbour TT35
When I was younger, we called it a flying bridge. And that is what it feels like - flying. Put me in the "must have a flying bridge" category.
Miz Trom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:47 AM   #168
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Mainsail??

Fly bridges are for ice cream boats.
Auscan's boat is a motor-sailer Eric...
Old 08-14-2016, 06:08 AM   #169
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Helm Station Redundancy = Safety-Backup-Helm[s]
Also twice the failure points (steering, shifting and throttle controls).

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:41 AM   #170
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

Ted
Via your statement regarding two helm-control stations aboard a boat - "Also twice the failure points". I bet you don't like twin screw either. How about twin heads on a boat??

Looking at things in relation to the aside type statement of a "glass half full or half empty" represents a static approach. In reality the fullness (i.e. level of specifics) of that "glass" is that it is nearly always 100% dynamic with its "fullness" level constantly in a mode of flux. Therefore... two is often better than one on most realms of appreciated (sometimes necessary) redundancies so that the "glass" best as possible is never let reach the low, low level of completely empty... even for a dynamic second!

Regarding the general plan of creation: Please note that humans (and, most living, breathing entities on planet Earth) were designed to have available a nearly perfectly balanced Roschach Inkblot type of useful outcome. Wherein we have two opposites (redundancies) of many needed exterior appendages... including arms, hands, legs, feet, eyes , ears... etc...... Even trees have similar redundancy of branches on opposite sides to accommodate the useful balance that gravity provides.

Now it is true in relation to as you mention "... twice the failure points." However - Redundancies for most items create a balance (chance of use and continuation) that can not be beaten, especially by having just one item available - of nearly anything!

Happy Redundancy Daze! - Art
Old 08-14-2016, 09:07 AM   #171
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Via your statement regarding two helm-control stations aboard a boat - "Also twice the failure points". I bet you don't like twin screw either. How about twin heads on a boat??

Looking at things in relation to the aside type statement of a "glass half full or half empty" represents a static approach. In reality the fullness (i.e. level of specifics) of that "glass" is that it is nearly always 100% dynamic with its "fullness" level constantly in a mode of flux. Therefore... two is often better than one on most realms of appreciated (sometimes necessary) redundancies so that the "glass" best as possible is never let reach the low, low level of completely empty... even for a dynamic second!

Regarding the general plan of creation: Please note that humans (and, most living, breathing entities on planet Earth) were designed to have available a nearly perfectly balanced Roschach Inkblot type of useful outcome. Wherein we have two opposites (redundancies) of many needed exterior appendages... including arms, hands, legs, feet, eyes , ears... etc...... Even trees have similar redundancy of branches on opposite sides to accommodate the useful balance that gravity provides.

Now it is true in relation to as you mention "... twice the failure points." However - Redundancies for most items create a balance (chance of use and continuation) that can not be beaten, especially by having just one item available - of nearly anything!

Happy Redundancy Daze! - Art
You really need to consider a reduction in caffeine.

2 heads don't adversely impact each other (if properly setup). A failed helm pump or hose, a jammed shift or throttle cable can definitely impact the whole system.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:14 AM   #172
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
You really need to consider a reduction in caffeine.

2 heads don't adversely impact each other (if properly setup). A failed helm pump or hose, a jammed shift or throttle cable can definitely impact the whole system.

Ted
Why!!???
Old 08-14-2016, 09:25 AM   #173
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
If visibility is the reason for the FB there's not much of a case for them. Most boats seem to be fine to OK on visibility. Look at all the stuff many to most trawlers have on the foredeck to look through or around. If visibility was an issue many would clear the deck. And I don't see that happening.

NT had it right for years .. no stink'in FB. Mark taught me how to talk like that.
OK I've stired the pot enough. Fly bridges are fine as long as the boat's big enough. Something like a GB 36 and similar. Put your saws and claw hammers away ... no FB to remove. I'm still glad someone removed Willy's FB.
Not going to find a better bluewater small boat than the classic 31 Bertram

Quote:
as opposed to having a single point of failure?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:41 AM   #174
Guru

Indeed,
The old (1961) Bertram 31 is a gem. But I don't think the "Moppie" (the actial boat that won the Miami offshore race) had a FB. In really rough going at high speed the FB would be stupid. And excluding the visability issue any boat would be a better sea boat w/o a FB.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:45 AM   #175
Art
Guru

My 1973 31' Uni was a sweet baby with big area fly bridge. Have taken film crews onto SF Bay for trailers on films regarding saving sea life. Filmed right off the roomy bridge.

Personally - stable, roomy FB is # 1 in my requirements for any boat much longer that 25'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0042.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	55229  
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2016, 09:52 AM   #176
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Auscan's boat is a motor-sailer Eric...
Peter .. I see.
How odd it is for me not to think of sails and booms on trawlers. Never seen a picture of his boat w a sail up. And I just don't think of sailboats.

I do really like his (Auscan's) comment about visibility at high angles of attack. Didn't think of that but some run this way on a regular basis. But again I usually don't think of trawlers running around w their bow up. But Auscan did even though he's got a sailboat. Good call IMO.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:52 AM   #177
Art
Guru

Quote:
Indeed,
The old (1961) Bertram 31 is a gem. But I don't think the "Moppie" (the actial boat that won the Miami offshore race) had a FB. In really rough going at high speed the FB would be stupid. And excluding the visability issue any boat would be a better sea boat w/o a FB.
How many times does a "Pleasure Boat" (99.9% of what is discussed on TF) get into really rough seas??? As compared to the nearly 100% of the time watching the weather conditions and playing around in calm seas - On A Flying Bridge!!??

Everyone should get serious and realize that Fly Bridge is a cool, fun, useful addition for "Pleasure Boats". At least that's my humble opinion!!
Old 08-14-2016, 09:56 AM   #178
Guru

Quote:
My 1973 31' Uni was a sweet baby with big area fly bridge. Have taken film crews onto SF Bay for trailers on films regarding saving sea life. Filmed right off the roomy bridge.

Personally - stable, roomy FB is # 1 in my requirements for any boat much longer that 25'.
Interesting bow line tie Art. One of your ceeative moments I'm sure. Haha sometimes we make do w what lines we have. Or what cleats we find. Bull rails .. Love'em.

The Uniflite 31 and 27 are my favorite Uniflites.

Re your 77 Art .. Like I said flybridges are for ice cream boats. Fun boats.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:00 AM   #179
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Indeed,
Again take it up with these guys just for starters...

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:02 AM   #180
Guru

[QUOTE=Nomad Willy;469543]Interesting bow line tie Art. One of your ceeative moments I'm sure. Haha sometimes we make do w what lines we have. Or what cleats we find. Bull rails .. Love'em.

The Uniflite 31 and 27 are my favorite Uniflites.

Re your 77 Art .. Like I said flybridges are for ice cream boats. Fun boats. And before you say something work boats have the FB for reasons not pretaining to fun.