Old 08-08-2016, 02:16 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: One more. Lower helm is like driving a large sedan. Flybridge is like driving a convertible sports car.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:31 PM   #22
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Different attitudes I guess. Bay Pelican has a pilot house which is fully equipped, convenient to the galley and the head. Most of our trips are four hours or more and the upper helm is inconvenient and definitely not as comfortable. Other than backing into a slip we never use the upper helm.
I walked by a KK 42 today and was reminded what a poor FB design they have. A real anamoly on an otherwise very well designed boat. So in my opinion it is more a matter of design and access than attitude.

caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:32 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: One more. Lower helm is like driving a large sedan. Flybridge is like driving a convertible sports car.
I always say it's like driving a bus.
Mystic,Ct
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #24
Guru

City: RI
Quote:
Very nice... I like that!
Bruce
Old 08-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #25
Guru

City: RI
Quote:
Wifey B: The thread is about using the helm. Regardless of how you do that you'll still have use for the flybridge, just as you will the salon. I think of the bridge like a huge patio with a view like from the roof. I like the extra space to roam around. Love sunsets from the bridge. Love to grill up there. I don't like cold though. You have to wear too many clothes in cold weather. So, in I go.
All reasons we guessed at without having spent much real time with a flybridge.
The idea of grilling from up there escaped me though...interesting idea though.
Bruce
Old 08-08-2016, 02:44 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
I always say it's like driving a bus.
Wifey B: Like driving a motorhome. It's sort of a bus but a very nice one.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #27
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
I walked by a KK 42 today and was reminded what a poor FB design they have. A real anamoly on an otherwise very well designed boat. So in my opinion it is more a matter of design and access than attitude.
Not a flying bridge, but a bridge-deck command station.
Lower overall height and windage

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:38 PM   #28
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
We drive from the PH almost all the time. We have used the FB on a number of occasions, actually more than we had anticipated. Region makes a big difference.

Here, even if it isn't outright raining, it is a bit chilly up on the FB. Granted we could put on the long pants, sweatshirt, and jacket, but then I might as well be sailing. The flip side of that is when it is really sunny. We have a bimini over the FB which during the right time of day provides good shade, but I don't want to sit in the sun for a couple hours so that will send me inside as well. So it isn't just inclement weather that makes me use the PH.

As others have said, the PH is a just a lot more convenient to the rest of the folks on the boat, the galley, the head, etc...

If I am going to be leaving a particularly tight dock or tricky anchorage, I do like the visibility I get from the FB. On our last trip we were wedged into a tiny space at a dock that we had to back out of with boats on all sides. Despite the drizzle, I used the FB to get us out of there because of the visibility to the stern.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:42 PM   #29
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Interesting perspectives. All equally valid.

We always run the boat from the FB. We also have a full vinyl enclosure that's always up. We can open up to five sections if needed. Or keep it all closed and stay out of the weather. Much better sight lines above. There's no view aft from the lower helm, and it's difficult to judge distances to the opposite side. Being up on the FB makes the lobster buoys and other debris in the water ahead much more visible.

The saloon is noisy underway, which makes talking difficult. There's no good place to sit and look ahead except at the helm.

I ran this boat from the lower helm for a couple of hours once, when the guests wanted to stay below for a while. Also when maneuvering into locks, if I'm handling lines.

Anything but the simplest docking would be a nightmare from the lower helm, although if I run down to help with lines after getting into the slip, sometimes I'll nudge the controls from there as we're settling in.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:24 PM   #30

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
When single handing I like running from the lower helm. No chance of getting knocked/falling off boat.
johnrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:27 PM   #31
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Always operated from a deck-level helm. Easy access to deck, lines, and dock, and can readily single-hand docking or disembarking. Never had use for a flybridge. Usually there's plenty (often too much) ventilation from a single, open pilothouse door. Already spent too much time in an open-cockpit sailboat with the sun and wind damaging me.

Here, normal conversation is possible when operating WOT with the engine directly under the pilothouse.

It's nice having the helm position separate from the saloon. Besides, the head and refrigerator are close by (no ladder or many steps), so absence from the bridge is very short and unexposed.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:31 PM   #32

City: Sausalito CA
Vessel Name: GRACE
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 EU
usually prefer up top, but when running long passages--a couple of days non-stop, it's much safer to be inside at night, IMHO
Old 08-08-2016, 06:00 PM   #33
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Not a flying bridge, but a bridge-deck command station.
Lower overall height and windage

Ted
"a bridge-deck command station." ... is that naval architect code for "design so uncomfortable and inconvenient you virtually never see anyone using it" ?

It sure doesn't look like it is lower height than a well designed, spacious and guest friendly FB. I've been on one underway, BTW.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:12 PM   #34
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
No FB... so operate 100% from lower.
We're not FB folks for many of the reasons mentioned...stairs / ladder...canvas / vinyl...zippers vs doors...sun / heat
Hardtop provides welcome shade when hot...open windshield & helm door & sliding windows + opening sunroof provides plenty of fresh air...overhang on roof provides shade while locking & docking.
Can single hand from helm easily...
We're also hoping lower level will allow us to continue to boat for more years than a bridge boat would.
Not for everyone and no intent to attempt to influence...it just works for us
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:15 PM   #35
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
I've had boats with down helms for years and I liked them very much. My present boat has no down helm (Dinette in that place) so all navigating & driving is done from the fly bridge. At first I was concerned about the absense of a lower helm but having the dinette is great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0905.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	55048   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0695.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	55049  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:15 PM   #36

City: Dauphin Island, AL
Vessel Name: Free At Last
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Grand Banks Trawler
Fly bridge almost all the time with rough seas being an exception especially off shore. I just can't get the 360 degree vision from the lower helm that my paranoid side prefers. Also have much better all around views for docking. Haven't singlehanded but in theory would bring lines to toss up with me when docking. As for rainy weather, the old sailor comes out and I still prefer rain gear and driving from the fly bridge. I love the diverse preferences on this board. Oh, and I am in the warmer weather region of the gulf coast.
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #37

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
The upper and lower stations were a prerequisite in our search and we wouldn't change a thing.

When we first got her I did all of the docking from the lower station, and there are a few advantages, such as being able to sight directly down the starboard side while standing outside the door next to the lower helm. Also, being available for line-handling is more realistic down there.

But it's hard to beat the "sense" of the open water from the fly, such as visibility, sounds, fresh air and general awareness. We're up there 100%, unless it cold or rainy.

My eyes aren't good enough to be looking through and around plastic windows so, for many reasons, we prefer the wide open flybridge with just a large bimini top.

Works for us!
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:31 PM   #38
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowakezone View Post
So please...besides weather-related benefits, why do you choose to have or not have a lower helm?
If I didn't have a lower helm (pilothouse), I'd be driving the boat from the stern docking station......and that's just silly.

Name:	MC14.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	55050

Name:	DSCN1541.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	55051

Now as to why the pilothouse as opposed to a flybridge:

Climate controlled (Heat & AC) or doors open for fresh air.
Much closer to the galley
Much closer to the head
No steep stairs or ladder to negotiate
Usually better electronics, gauges, and navigation accessories
lower air draft (bridge clearance)
Always less pitching and rolling as compared to one level up
Usually more comfortable seating

But just like the choice of anchors, to each their own.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:33 PM   #39
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Other than weather, why would anyone want an upper helm?
Canvas and plastic windows
Exposed electronics
Upholstery in the weather
Poor bridge clearance
Mold and no air conditioning.
I like my comforts too much.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:52 PM   #40

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
I have the same type boat as CaptTom so every thing he said goes for me. I do occasionally step down to the galley right quick to get a drink or listen to the engines when I'm in open water. The boat usually tracks very well and may need just a nudge on the wheel while I'm down there. The only time I dock using the lower helm is if it's an easy run into the fuel dock and I'm by myself. Backing into the slip I can see all from the fly bridge.

Kevin

tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote