Old 03-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
OTDE - Has... err, Had its place!

Am I seeing through a glass darkly... is it just me... or have you noticed too?* OTDE closes and Forum entries slow.* Paranoia strikes deep!* LOL

Poll entry ratios should tell us the general*flavor of forum*contributors.* Results could be interesting!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
RE: OTDE - Has... err, Had its place!

Kind of poorly worded. While I think it should have very little monitoring with lots of latitude, nothing on a site you own should be totally unmonitored.

Ted

O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Art wrote:
Am I seeing through a glass darkly... is it just me... or have you noticed too?* OTDE closes and Forum entries slow.* Paranoia strikes deep!* LOL

Poll entry ratios should tell us the general*flavor of forum*contributors.* Results could be interesting!

My personal opinion is that if it is offered, it should not be monitored, except in the case of legal libel. The worst possible scenario is where moderators are unable to differentiate between their own biased worldview opinions and what constitutes civility.

Unfortunately, the definition of civility on OTDE has been based on whether the moderator would just as soon make the same insult themselves. *If yes, then the insult was civil and went unnoticed. *If no, then the insult was an outrage with the result that thread was pulled.

I have no problem with some posters consistently presenting themselves as experts even when they clearly have no clue what they are talking about, all the while offering their defective advice as gospel. *You can always ignore tedious verbosity and snarky, self-inflated condencension when you encounter it, which a couple of posters have made themselves legendary purveyors of. *I do object when the mods allow these boors to express themselves, then shut down return fire. *The mods should just make up their minds to stop all the insults or step aside. *That is not what has happened here, which is why the kerfuffle remains a kerfuffle.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Fixing what's not broken...
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser

So far I'm the one dissenting vote.* I've never seen any good come from that type of section on a forum.* It wouldn't be missed IMHO.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Greetings,
Nope Mr. Art, the forum entries HAVE slowed. I was going to mention this but I figured it was either a phase of the moon or there were no sales on at the liquor stores. Whilst a number of folks have stated categorically that the never go to or even look at OTDE, I suspect for a goodly number, although they never post or comment, OTDE is another source of entertainment aside from the regular posts.
As seen in the General Discussion (Confined to Quarters) Comments-85 and Views 3377! These numbers far surpass any other topic since Feb 16th. Love it or hate it, OTDE is controversial. I voted to keep it unmonitored and let's see what develops. The moderators can always change it to a "slightly" moderated form later on although too much moderation will most certainly quash the notoriety of the section. If one looks back a few pages (OTDE) one notices that a lot of the topics were commented on and viewed as many times as the ones in the rest of the site. Censorship is not a very good thing and as mentioned by some members is the reason they will no longer frequent TF.
Granted, some of the comments cause me to just shake my head in disbelief, for whatever reason and it scares me to think that there are people that actually BELIEVE some of the stuff they spew.
I had a post deleted (Conservatives are more likely to be racist and bigots etc.) and although controversial, expressed a view by a certain segment of society that I felt should be discussed. Mr. Marin voiced an opinion which I understood and appreciated. Guess I ruffled the wrong feathers and I will not post the future study that suggests Liberals are more likely to be......Which Mr. Marin mentioned would be forthcoming.
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
OTDE - Has... err, Had its place!

There was a forum I used to visit which was moderated.* Had nothing to do with trawlers BTW.* At any rate, the mods would close or lock threads for any reason, and it was never consistent.* It was censorship, and it was capricious.* Well liked people were never censored, and a few people*were so well liked that they could ask for money -- and if someone*asked them about the legitimacy of their need, they were censored.*

Here,*I have learned to (try) to*ignore the people I don't*agree with.* While I don't agree with them,*and some of them really remind me of grouchy old men, and most of them use bad grammar except for one, I would*rather not have them censored no matter what their opinion is or how angry it makes me.

That said, this forum is really great and I've learned so much here but I am against censorship even when it is due to threads degrading*down into name calling when the OP was asking about twins vs. single.* Some interesting things get said and it*gives me the opportunity to see how my fellow boaters think.* So when I meet them*in a marina or something I'm better equipped to relate to them..**'Nuff Said.*

-- Edited by Egregious on Thursday 15th of March 2012 06:44:56 PM
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
Egregious wrote:
Here,*I have learned to (try) to*ignore the people I don't*agree with.* While I don't agree with them,*and some of them really remind me of grouchy old men, and most of them use bad grammar except for one, I would*rather not have them censored no matter what their opinion is or how angry it makes me.
*Am completely in agreement.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Like Egregious and dwhatty said....for mine...
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
Art
Guru

Interesting Voting and Posting-Participant results at time of this post:
Out of 27 votes total...
YES - Unmonitored 37%
YES - Monitored 37%
NO - Not At All 26%
In general... YES Votes so far take it by a land slide!*
Also, I hear that some previous forum contributors are not corresponding (posting) due to circumstances and might simply disappear from this Forum.* I imagine they will keep an eye on the outcome to this thread and what eventually occurs to OTDE.* I notice that out of the 27 votes there have only been nine (9) posts... which means 66% of voters are not contributing posts, but rather lurking to see outcome to the direction this forum travels.* If I were a new owner I would pay close attention to the voted desires and number of previous contributors who have turned lurker... and might stop visiting Trawler Forum.* Its all in the numbers!* CHEERS!!
Old 03-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #11
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

The ONLY reason I look at the OTDE is for the jokes.* The rest I could care less.* Trawlerforum is a boating sight so the discussion should be boating related.* Besides there of other sights for the non boating discussion.*
I personal stop or was reluctant to even post under the other boating topics because it ran over into other discussion.* I dont mind others not agreeing with me but there is no need for FLAMING.*
I would prefer if OTDE was changed to JOKES/FUN TOPICS.* *
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #12
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Opinions right? everyone has one.

The only problem I have ever seen with ODTE is the occasional troll. Posting just for argument sake.

Most of the posters are or were regular TF members.

Some of the stuff could get a little verbose. For the most part it was just thoughts and opinions of regular TF members.

I say if things get out of hand Lock the thread and move on. No need to shut the whole show down.

SD

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #13

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper

Question, does the OTDE banter/grudges ever spill over to other boating related threads?
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
Art
Guru

Quote:
Adelaide wrote:
Question, does the OTDE banter/grudges ever spill over to other boating related threads?
Not that I noticed.* OTDE and rest of Forum sections seemed completely separated regarding discussion/threads.* As it should be!* Actually, before OTDE was closed I believe even the acronym OTDE was seldom if ever mentioned in other Forum sections.

Voting %ages on OTDE are getting even more interesting!
Old 03-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #15
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001

I really have no opinion on the OTDE, as I don't frequent it. I certainly also have no problem with it being reinstated, monitored or not, as it has no bearing on what I read on TF.

What I don't understand though, is why folks would opt out of a great trawler/boating forum because it did not include a section on non-boating topics.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #16
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

OK, I voted, but I would love to have seen a couple more choices. What if the multiple choice list looked like this. I bet you'd get some more votes.

1. Yes, Monitored

2. Yes, Unmonitored

3. Not at all

4. I don't participate in OTDE, so I don't feel passionate about it one way or another.

5. Yes, monitored or not, as long as it helps keep righteous opportunists from using the rest of the forum as an instrument of personal degradation.

However, I understand that the original choices are clear, and are likely to attract votes from those that really do participate in OTDE.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #17
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser

Quote:
Conrad wrote:
What I don't understand though, is why folks would opt out of a great trawler/boating forum because it did not include a section on non-boating topics.
Amen.

Or any other interest specific forum for that matter.* There's lots of places to vent your political spleen online without alienating fellow boaters in this forum.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Bridgewater, NJ

Quote:
bobofthenorth wrote:Conrad wrote:
Amen.

Or any other interest specific forum for that matter.* There's lots of places to vent your political spleen online without alienating fellow boaters in this forum.

*I second this. *I voted to keep it with monitoring
scarletbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #19
Guru

City: Hotel, CA

The anchoring threads probably could use more moderating than OTDE. I can care less about either of those two sections though.

My only attraction to this forum is boating. The rest is just pure balloon juice.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #20
Guru

I have a friend that I met at work. We seem to talk about dozens of subjects when we get together, not just work things which is where we met.

I was at the grocery store and they sell magazines. You don't eat magazines, you don't grow magazines, why would they sell something totally unrelated to groceries at the grocery store?

I was at the gas station and they sell chips and sodas. Why? It's a gas station not a chips and soda station.

I was on a boating forum and we had a section we could talk about cars, guns, and other topics other than boats. Why would someone who has a boat talk about anything but boats?

Now for full disclosure, I don't buy magazines at the grocery store because I subscribe to those I want to read. I don't buy chips and soda at the gas station because I've just never seen a need to. But it doesn't bother me if others buy magazines, or sodas and chips, even if occasionally I have to wait in line behind them to get to the cashier.

Now, if I was a soda and chips guy, or a magazine guy, I just might shop somewhere else if the store quit selling those items. And if my friend from work only wanted to talk about work, we probably wouldn't be as good of friends as we are.

Every retail store owner knows that people are creatures of habit. Do you notice that most people buy gas at the same station and groceries at the same store 90% of the time? Maybe you do it yourself. If that store is closed for 2 weeks you develop a habit to go to a different store. Sometimes you find that it's just as convenient as your old habit and you never change back. Others find that they can't wait for the old place to open back up. But, the odds are, that once the habit is broken, it doesn't come back without some effort. Why do stores have Grand ReOpenings? Special sales? Because the customers don't always come back on their own.

Ken

2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote