Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
Baggiolini's Avatar
 
City: Monterey, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 398
RE: OTDE - Has... err, Had its place!

Never clicked on OTDE but I liked a more active board
__________________
Advertisement

Baggiolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #42
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
RE: OTDE - Has... err, Had its place!

Quote:
Baker wrote:

PS...I posted on T&T about this site exactly once. *There may have been many other discussions about it but I had nothing to do with that. *I have been back to that list just that one time.

*
*John created TF back when I was fairly active on T&T.* But my attention was drawn to TF not by John's announcement of the forum on T&T but by Carey's bringing it to my intention.* He was one of the first participants on TF--- I have no idea how he found it because he didn't use T&T--- and after a few weeks I took a look at TF, too.* I believe--- I don't recall for sure-- that I posted at least one comment on T&T about the new forum and how cool it was, and I believe--- but don't recall for sure--- that John responded to me either on T&T or in an e-mail.* But I don't recall John ever promoting TF on T&T other than his first announcement, which I did see but didn't do anything about until Carey mentioned how impressed he was with it.
__________________

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #43
Guru
 
Edelweiss's Avatar
 
City: PNW
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,834
RE: OTDE - Has... err, Had its place!

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:*
*I voted and have been here every time there is a new post to read. It could have easily been 20 times by now. I suspect #1 is the most likely reason for the high views and low votes.

I did not vote, because of*#2.* But like you I visit most every new post just to see if there is anything worth seeing.**So I probably have been here 20 times also!!

2.***** Many visiting forum participants are simply not interested enough to vote...*could be.
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #44
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,630
RE: OTDE - Has... err, Had its place!

Quote:
Marin wrote:Baker wrote:

PS...I posted on T&T about this site exactly once. *There may have been many other discussions about it but I had nothing to do with that. *I have been back to that list just that one time.

*
*John created TF back when I was fairly active on T&T.* But my attention was drawn to TF not by John's announcement of the forum on T&T but by Carey's bringing it to my intention.* He was one of the first participants on TF--- I have no idea how he found it because he didn't use T&T--- and after a few weeks I took a look at TF, too.* I believe--- I don't recall for sure-- that I posted at least one comment on T&T about the new forum and how cool it was, and I believe--- but don't recall for sure--- that John responded to me either on T&T or in an e-mail.* But I don't recall John ever promoting TF on T&T other than his first announcement, which I did see but didn't do anything about until Carey mentioned how impressed he was with it.

*Thanks Marin!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #45
TF Site Team
 
Andy R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 155
RE: OTDE - Has... err, Had its place!

First off, thanks for all the input and view points on this topic. Even though the numbers of voters is

I just want to state AGAIN that OTDE is just closed temporarily. Once we are converted to vBulletin we will be splitting up OTDE into two sections 1) Off Topic and 2) Hot Topics. The Off Topic forum will be a regular forum but the Hot Topics forum will be an opt-in section. This setup ensures that those who enjoy participating in the hot topic debates can continue to do so while at the same time not mixing them with other threads like jokes, sports, cars, weather, wine and other off topic discussions.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #46
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
RE: OTDE - Has... err, Had its place!

Quote:
Andy R wrote:
First off, thanks for all the input and view points on this topic. Even though the numbers of voters is

I just want to state AGAIN that OTDE is just closed temporarily. Once we are converted to vBulletin we will be splitting up OTDE into two sections 1) Off Topic and 2) Hot Topics. The Off Topic forum will be a regular forum but the Hot Topics forum will be an opt-in section. This setup ensures that those who enjoy participating in the hot topic debates can continue to do so while at the same time not mixing them with other threads like jokes, sports, cars, weather, wine and other off topic discussions.
Sounds good, Andy R.* Hope this thread helped show the general camber of forum contributors.* Any prediction as to date when vBulletin will be installed and OTDE can reopen?* Cheers! Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #47
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,630
RE: OTDE - Has... err, Had its place!

Art, a thread was just posted regarding your question....it is coming soon!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #48
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
RE: OTDE - Has... err, Had its place!

Quote:
Baker wrote:
Art, a thread was just posted regarding your question....it is coming soon!
Thanks, John!*

I read*Andy R's thread...*And The Beat Goes ON - - - - >>>> !!!!!!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #49
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
RE: OTDE - Has... err, Had its place!

If you go to this Trawler Forum thread you can read Bakers ONE ANY ONLY message about TF on the T&T list.

Mike
Palm Coast FL
pull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #50
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,996
RE: OTDE - Has... err, Had its place!

Greetings,
While the poll results ARE interesting, it would be even MORE interesting to try to figure out how many potential members have either left prematurely or declined to enroll as a result of the shenanigans on OTDE. I suppose we'll never know unless someone expressed their dissatisfaction with the format before departing. Just sayin'
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #51
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
RE: OTDE - Has... err, Had its place!

Quote:
RT Firefly wrote:
Greetings,
While the poll results ARE interesting, it would be even MORE interesting to try to figure out how many potential members have either left prematurely or declined to enroll as a result of the shenanigans on OTDE. I suppose we'll never know unless someone expressed their dissatisfaction with the format before departing. Just sayin'
Well... RTF... You surely do have a valid point there (although you will see below that Im not exactly sure what your point is); your point is one I hope that could have the new owners take into deep consideration regarding their time schedule for re opening OTDE... in order to still TF waters back into a semblance of contributor harmony!* And, for new members joining.* **
*
Previous to abrupt banishment of OTDE (with no warning I was aware of) most if not all TF waters appeared pretty calm with daily currents flowing regularly and smoothly between their threads and posts throughout TF sections.* Forum contributors wanting only to discuss boating topics did so and would happily ignore OTDE (not a bad way to proceed... cant say as I blame them, at all!).* Contributors who wanted to solely delve into the morass that some of the heated OTDE threads evolved into, so they were able to THROW their insults, barbs, or short-quips, did so with seeming joy and virtual impunity (their inputs are not my cup of tea... but, different strokes for different folks... live and let live is how I see it!).* Others who wanted to get points across and simultaneously read others points regarding non-boating items in OTDE, as well as to enjoy and calmly participate in many of the more boat-like TF sections, were also able satiate their needs (that includes me and numerous other TF members).
*
So... as, a fantasy, I wistfully believe you may somewhat allude (subconsciously), that previous and potential TF contributor volume may have simply gone elsewhere due to this current OTDE disruption.* Be real hard to put a count on that, as there appears no way to track those numbers.* However, in reality, by your words it appears that you may feel it was the existence of OTDE (at all) that was the driving force to expel any number of potential members.* Clear my confusion up for me would you RT.* Thanks!
*
To Date; By the Recorded Numbers:
*
-******** 1840 visitors to this thread so far / only 49 replies
*
When asked: Should OTDE be Allowed (only 69 votes)
*
-******** 52.2% vote: YES Unmonitored
-******** 23.2% vote: YES Monitored
-******** 24.6% vote: Not At All
*
Time will tell the outcome... it always does, in everything!* Good ol Time.* Gotta Luv It!

*
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #52
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
OTDE - Has... err, Had its place!

Quote:
RT Firefly wrote:
... it would be even MORE interesting to try to figure out how many potential members have either left prematurely or declined to enroll as a result of the shenanigans on OTDE.
*Well, of the fairly active members who I know or havevcorresponded with who have left as a direct result of OTDE there is Walt and so far as I know, Carey.* Eric Henning left for a long time based, as I recall, on political discussions on OTDE.* I know you left for a long time although I don't know the reason.

But I suspect that most people who stop participating in the forum do so for reasons other than OTDE.* All forums on any subject tend to get very repetitive, with the same questions asked and answered over and over.* I can't speak for anyone else, but while I find TF an interesting place to converse with people who have had experiences different than mine, have common interests (not necessarily to do with boating) or who live and boat in an area I'm interested in (like Dave and Peter), I certainly don't need the forum for any aspect of our actual boating.* There are many good diesel, electrical, electronics, prop, etc. shops in our area, we have a good boatyard in Bellingham and there are others nearby in Anacortes.* I know several current or retired shipwrights.*

So for us, information and assistance with reagards to our boat is easy to get locally and in person.* And I know or at least am familiar with the reputation of all these folks, where the people giving advice on a forum are for the most part a total unknown.* If TF went away tomorrow, it would not make any difference to our boating, and I suspect it wouldn't to most of the other members' boating either.

So my guess is that members drift in, find out what they want to find out, and might stay if they like the dialogue, but also might drift away again once they've gotten whatever they want from TF, or they find another forum they like, or their own interests move them on to other things.


-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 22nd of March 2012 12:04:46 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #53
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
RE: OTDE - Has... err, Had its place!

Quote:
RT Firefly wrote:
Greetings,
While the poll results ARE interesting, it would be even MORE interesting to try to figure out how many potential members have either left prematurely or declined to enroll as a result of the shenanigans on OTDE. I suppose we'll never know unless someone expressed their dissatisfaction with the format before departing. Just sayin'
*I've been here a very short time compared to many. I recall at least one instance in particular of a new member who after a dozen or so posts complained about the shenanigans of OTDE. I recall one seasoned member calling the junior member out, "Great, another newbie trying to tell us how to run our forum" I believe was part his response.

As one who stays away form OTDE for the most part, I like the idea of seperating hot topics from the jokes etc. It works well on many other forums. It will work great here too.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #54
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
RE: OTDE - Has... err, Had its place!

Of course the flip side are those members who use the forum only to participate in OTDE. Ancora comes to mind here. To my knowledge these folks rarely or never post anything about boating, but use the forum as another venue to express their hatred of this, that, or the other.

While it's not my forum and I have no say whatsoever on how the owners choose to run it, I've always found it annoying that it is used simply as an avenue of opinion by people who have no connection with boating at all, or who do but aren't interested in the purpose of fhe forum, only the opportunity it presents to broadcast their own political or social views.

I don't miss the absence of these folks at all with the closing of OTDE.* It's one thing if Art, RTF, etc. like to discuss off-topic ideas and viewpoints in OTDE.* They're also active boaters who contribute greatly to the rest of the forum as well.* I think it's quite another thing if a person only uses the forum to vent their political or social frustrations.* There are other places on the internet that cater to that sort of thing.* To that end, I don't miss OTDE at all.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #55
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,996
RE: OTDE - Has... err, Had its place!

Greetings,
Mr. Art. No real point to my question other than idle musing. If I saw a survey that found 75% of a group enjoyed a cold beer on a hot day I would think what about the other 25%? Lemonade? WARM beer? They don't like hot days? Don't mean to influence the owners, they'll be done when they're done. The answer is probably close to what Mr. Marin suggests-the ebb and flow of listees. Hopefully with the new "hot topic" format, I will be able to call out the shills and trolls. I think Mr. Marin alluded to one in particular whom I have absolutely no use for.
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #56
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
RE: OTDE - Has... err, Had its place!

Quote:
RT Firefly wrote:
Greetings,
Mr. Art. No real point to my question other than idle musing. If I saw a survey that found 75% of a group enjoyed a cold beer on a hot day I would think what about the other 25%? Lemonade? WARM beer? They don't like hot days? Don't mean to influence the owners, they'll be done when they're done. The answer is probably close to what Mr. Marin suggests-the ebb and flow of listees. Hopefully with the new "hot topic" format, I will be able to call out the shills and trolls. I think Mr. Marin alluded to one in particular whom I have absolutely no use for.
Cool - TY, RT... I can hardly wait to see your mellow, pointed ways in action.* Shills and trolls should be banned to their caves!* At least thats my opinion.
*

*
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
mahal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 436
OTDE - Has... err, Had its place!

Some here have asked why the new owner would change things when things were just fine. Well, I have a very simple theory and maybe even too simple. I believe that when a website becomes for-profit, which I have no problem with, from being a member run operation, the new ownership has to attract sponsors/advertisers for its income.

This is where I believe the OTDE section becomes a problem. If I were a potential advertiser and I came across OTDE, I don't think I would be too eager to have my company associated with such a site. But on the other hand, if all I saw was Trawler Forum minus OTDE then heck ya, I would advertise.

I'm just trying to understand, and again this is just a theory. I don't think that the new owner closed OTDE just to*mess with Art and the rest.

From what I've read the new owner is a seasoned forum owner/operator. So he knows what he's doing.*I wish him all the success.

*

*


-- Edited by mahal on Thursday 22nd of March 2012 05:37:24 PM
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #58
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
RE: OTDE - Has... err, Had its place!

Quote:
mahal wrote:
Some here have asked why the new owner would change things when things were just fine. Well, I have a very simple theory and maybe even too simple. I believe that when a website becomes for-profit, which I have no problem with, from being a member run operation, the new ownership has to attract sponsors/advertisers for its income.

This is where I believe the OTDE section becomes a problem. If I were a potential advertiser and I came across OTDE, I don't think I would be too eager to have my company associated with such a site. But on the other hand, if all I saw was Trawler Forum minus OTDE then heck ya, I would advertise.

I'm just trying to understand, and again this is just a theory. I don't think that the new owner closed OTDE just to*mess with Art and the rest.

From what I've read the new owner is a seasoned forum owner/operator. So he knows what he's doing.*I wish him all the success.

-- Edited by mahal on Thursday 22nd of March 2012 05:37:24 PM
So true - Too true... If OTDE is*abolished, that is just another example to*the Dummying of America!* We get much more Politically Correct... I'm gonna PUKE! lmao*
__________________

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cutlass Bearing Replacement with Shaft in Place. Capn Craig Power Systems 5 03-29-2012 02:26 AM
Otde belizebill General Discussion 9 03-27-2012 05:26 AM
An interesting place to visit Marin General Discussion 37 02-07-2012 02:00 AM




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012