Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-30-2019, 03:51 PM   #1
Guru
 
AlaskaProf's Avatar
 
City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Country: US of A
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 925
Original boat name

I submit that boat names range from the sublime to the repugnant, weighted somewhat below the mean, and originality is scarce (all my TF colleagues are exempted from this rant, of course)...i mean how many Tooth Ferry does the world need. And dont get me started about Wet Dream!


But, today in Grappler Inlet, I saw a sportfisherman named Cape Able . Pretty good, but even better if you know that the Canadian CG 47' surf boats are named Cape xxxxx.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190730_124948.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	91690  
__________________
Advertisement

AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:09 PM   #2
Guru
 
Wayfarer's Avatar
 
City: Oneida Lake, NY
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,286
A lot of US Military Sealift Command ships are called Cape XXXX. I always kinda liked that idea.

I've been thinking a lot about boat names lately. Mine's called Sylphide (pronounced sill-feed), which is apparently a famous french ballet. I guess a Sylph is some sort of mythical air pixie or fairy or something. Part of me wants to keep the name, since she's had it since she was launched, but it doesn't mean anything to me, and I don't feel like explaining it forever.

Not sure what to go with, but 'Aluminum Falcon' popped into my head as something of a joke, but the more I think about it, the more I like it.
__________________

__________________
Dave
Just be nice to each other, dammit.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:31 PM   #3
TF Site Team
 
City: Westerly, RI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
......and I don't feel like explaining it forever.
Take it from someone who has to explain their boat name alot. It gets tiring.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:32 PM   #4
Guru
 
AlaskaProf's Avatar
 
City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Country: US of A
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 925
"Get us outta here, Chewie!!"
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:41 PM   #5
Guru
 
Northern Spy's Avatar
 
City: Powell River, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,997
I wouldn't share the definition of "mythical air pixie or fairy" with my coworkers, that's for sure.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:46 PM   #6
Guru
 
High Wire's Avatar
 
City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,702
I can’t even imagine what it would sound like from an Alabama tug skipper.
Sulfur Hide???. Lol
__________________
Archie
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:50 PM   #7
Guru
 
AlaskaProf's Avatar
 
City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Country: US of A
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Take it from someone who has to explain their boat name alot. It gets tiring.
So...you going to share?
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:06 PM   #8
Guru
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Country: US
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
A lot of US Military Sealift Command ships are called Cape XXXX. I always kinda liked that idea.

I've been thinking a lot about boat names lately. Mine's called Sylphide (pronounced sill-feed), which is apparently a famous french ballet. I guess a Sylph is some sort of mythical air pixie or fairy or something. Part of me wants to keep the name, since she's had it since she was launched, but it doesn't mean anything to me, and I don't feel like explaining it forever.

Not sure what to go with, but 'Aluminum Falcon' popped into my head as something of a joke, but the more I think about it, the more I like it.
Yes, that name would have to go. Make it something you like. I donít subscribe to the no changing the name idea. We have changed names on many of our boats without any dire consequences.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:14 PM   #9
Guru
 
High Wire's Avatar
 
City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,702
Agree. Mental D Fish & Sea blew the engine before we changed the name.
__________________
Archie
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:20 PM   #10
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,715
Wifey B: Simplicity and looks like it sounds. Far more important than style or flavor.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:24 PM   #11
Guru
 
AlaskaProf's Avatar
 
City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Country: US of A
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Agree. Mental D Fish & Sea blew the engine before we changed the name.
I rest my case.
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member
 
City: Brunswick
Country: GA
Vessel Model: American Tug 41
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post

Not sure what to go with, but 'Aluminum Falcon' popped into my head as something of a joke, but the more I think about it, the more I like it.

That's not bad.... my only caution is that you're name consists of six syllables (which is quite a lot), then if you add "MV" in front of it, you're up to eight syllables to frequently be reciting on the radio...
I had a training captain once tell me; whatever you pick, be prepared to do the alpha conversion of it for the coast guard on the radio. i.e. for you; "Alpha, Lima, Uniform, Mike, ............."
sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:28 PM   #13
Guru
 
High Wire's Avatar
 
City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,702
When I named my little center console fishing boat “Get.Net” I thought people would think it clever. Not a chance!
Hint: say it fast
__________________
Archie
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:29 PM   #14
Guru
 
AlaskaProf's Avatar
 
City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Country: US of A
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 925
I only occasionally get to explain Seeadler. Unfortunately it is usually to someone who thinks I have attempted some bizarre wordplay with "Seattle." Really.
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:53 PM   #15
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,982
Original boat name

We came back to Gig Harbor today and found that our dock neighbors have put a name on their new Selene 50 Europa, Trillium.

I really like that name. The Pacific Trillium (Trillium Ovatum) is found in the mountains of PNW and is a white flower that can be found under the canopy of our forests. It is a favorite among folks who like to spend time walking in woods. Unfortunately, it is not as common as it used to be.

Our dock neighbors (in their early 70s I believe) named their new boat after the flower they enjoyed while walking through the forests when they were young.

1. Unique; I donít recall seeing a boat named Trillium before.
2. Easy to say and easy to hear.
3. Easy to pronounce when read, even if someone has never heard of the flower.
4. The name has significance to the owner.
5. Looks great on the stern of the absolutely gorgeous Selene.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:56 PM   #16
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 3,531
Ollie is Great ????
Homeland Security, USCG, and a bunch of other govt authorities might pull you over many many times.
__________________
I will update this as soon as I can think of something snappy.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:22 PM   #17
Guru
 
Wayfarer's Avatar
 
City: Oneida Lake, NY
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
I wouldn't share the definition of "mythical air pixie or fairy" with my coworkers, that's for sure.
Lol, exactly. It's like coming out of the closet all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Take it from someone who has to explain their boat name a lot. It gets tiring.
I believe it. The boat isn't even officially mine yet, and I'm tired of explaining it. I told my sister what it meant and she said something like 'GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!' lolol

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
"Get us outta here, Chewie!!"


Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Agree. Mental D Fish & Sea blew the engine before we changed the name.
Oh crikey, I had to say that one out loud a few times before I got the 'joke' and I'm sorry I did. That's terrible! hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge View Post
That's not bad.... my only caution is that you're name consists of six syllables (which is quite a lot), then if you add "MV" in front of it, you're up to eight syllables to frequently be reciting on the radio...
I had a training captain once tell me; whatever you pick, be prepared to do the alpha conversion of it for the coast guard on the radio. i.e. for you; "Alpha, Lima, Uniform, Mike, ............."
Yeah, it is a bit of a mouthful. I figured I could just shorten it to 'Falcon' for more casual conversations. Some Lakers have long names Like the tug 'Joyce L. VanEnkevort' with her barge 'Great Lakes Trader' or the 'Honorable James L. Oberstar.' They usually get shortened to just 'Joyce,' or 'Oberstar' on the radio.

I'm not quite sold on it, but I do like that it's fun and lighthearted without being too cute or punny, which I find obnoxious. People seem to like it.
__________________
Dave
Just be nice to each other, dammit.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:47 PM   #18
Guru
 
MurrayM's Avatar
 
City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,665
Our boat has been Badger since the first owner. Small, scrappy & tough, so it's stuck.

Focal Point comes into Kitimat once in a while, which as a photographer, I like. Nodal point would be another good one. Large format photographers would get a kick out of Scheimpflug, but it would suck having to spell it out all the time.
__________________
"The most interesting path between two points is not a straight line" Murray Minchin
MurrayM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:13 PM   #19
Guru
 
Maerin's Avatar
 
City: East Coast
Country: USA
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 757
I've walked docks all over the eastern coast, some of the west, Canada-- One is seared into my memory from St. Augustine. It was on a 30 something express cruiser/weekend warrior. The name was "Wide Open Boating", and next to the name was a silhouette similar to the "mud flap girl" ubiquitous on truck mudflaps. Like this.... without the text. Now I'm no prude, but my first thought was what explanation follows when the 5 yr old quizzes dad about that image on the boat. It was hard to miss.

That one takes the prize for the hands-down-all-time-winner for "most tasteless boat name". You thought "For Play" was bad...
__________________
Steve Sipe
Selene 4303 Maerin
http://maerin.net
Maerin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:15 PM   #20
Guru
 
syjos's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
We came back to Gig Harbor today and found that our dock neighbors have put a name on their new Selene 50 Europa, Trillium.

I really like that name. The Pacific Trillium (Trillium Ovatum) is found in the mountains of PNW and is a white flower that can be found under the canopy of our forests. It is a favorite among folks who like to spend time walking in woods. Unfortunately, it is not as common as it used to be.

Our dock neighbors (in their early 70s I believe) named their new boat after the flower they enjoyed while walking through the forests when they were young.

1. Unique; I donít recall seeing a boat named Trillium before.
2. Easy to say and easy to hear.
3. Easy to pronounce when read, even if someone has never heard of the flower.
4. The name has significance to the owner.
5. Looks great on the stern of the absolutely gorgeous Selene.
There's a winery on the Key Peninsula, Gig Harbor called Trillium.
__________________

syjos is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012