Opinion Please: Vent or Ventless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vent or Ventless

• Total voters
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
We are looking at installing a washer/dryer combo on ASD as we are preparing for our first trip to the inside passage in 2016. We are looking at Splendide.

So for those who have experience with these combos, vent or ventless?

Are there issues with vents such as installing an additional fan.

Where do you run the vent?

You'll find that venting the machine will greatly enhance the drying capability, a lot less work for the machine to do.

I'd vent it. Otherwise you're going to end up with all that moist air from the dryer being inside the cabin. That's not a good thing.

Vented!

We had a ventless Spendide- it sucked. Replaced it with a vented unit and love it.

Absolutely buy the vented model. We had the ventless and it was worthless.

Captain Bob

Vent all the way. If ventless was practical then you'd have it at home too wouldn't you?

Absolutely buy the vented model. We had the ventless and it was worthless.

Captain Bob

I have the vented model and love it.
Don't even understand why they sell the unvented model as it just gives them bad press.

Vented model was designed for apartments with no access to outside. They really suck, but do the job they were designed for. They condense the moisture from the drying cycle and run it out the drain. Very inneficient but in an interior living space in an apartment building it would be practical. If at possible go with the vented model. I have the unvented model and a regular dryer. I never use the dryer mode on the slendide. Another thing to consider, THEY ARE HEAVY. At least my unvented model is. It has a concrete "block" in the top attatched to the tub that is huge. But, if it didnt have that it would shake like dog $hittin a peach seed. It really spins up.

I have the unvented model on my boat and use it nearly every day. The hot moist air does not go in the boat as was suggested earlier. The moisture is condensed and goes out the drain. The hot air just goes round and round and picks up more moisture to condense out the drain. This process does not take cool air conditioned air from my living spaces and blow it out of my boat. I agree the vented arrangement is better for drying clothes. I am only against a dryer that blows all my air conditioned air outdoors.

I have the unvented model on my boat and use it nearly every day. The hot moist air does not go in the boat as was suggested earlier. The moisture is condensed and goes out the drain. The hot air just goes round and round and picks up more moisture to condense out the drain. This process does not take cool air conditioned air from my living spaces and blow it out of my boat. I agree the vented arrangement is better for drying clothes. I am only against a dryer that blows all my air conditioned air outdoors.
Our condensing (ventless) dryer works just fine as well. It probably takes a few minutes more to dry, but punching another hole in the boat didn't appeal so we're happy with the choice. Ours is a Bosch.

Are all these units really heavy? Other tha Splendide and Bosch what other brands are there?

Units are not heavy, don't know weight but I have lifted one myself up 10" onto its stand.

I join the crowd in having a vented unit covered on the outside by a clam shell. Avoid the ventless unit unless necessary,

Are all these units really heavy? Other tha Splendide and Bosch what other brands are there?

Majestic and Haier are other brands that come to mind. When I did my due diligence I found that they are all very similar weights.

My vented model is heavy. But, I dont really know what an unvented one weighs or the weight of other models. I'm sure they would weigh less than a washer dryer combo. The Splendide does work good. However, it wont run on my square wave inverter, at all.

Back
Top Bottom