Old 02-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
Guru

City: somewhere
Question Opinion On A Boat

I have an interest in a 1982 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin with twin International 225 HP 9.0L diesels with a reported 1,300 hours with starboard having been rebuilt aprox 100 hrs ago & port having partial in 2008.. 7.5 Genset, dual air,windlass aft cabin with tub,etc.

We are looking to use this to cruise the east coast of Florida, St Johns River and when we gain enough sea legs over to the islands.

What is your opinion on this boat?

I know that it's a planing hull but will it handle trawler speeds efficiently?

thanks

any opinions and replies will be appreciated.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
You asked for opinions. Watch out!

Mine is that I love the use of interior space on the Carvers, but I really don't like the hull design for any kind of offshore use. Again, this is one opinion.

Any boat will be efficient at trawler (hull) speed. The issue is that you're moving a lot more iron around running the larger engines that slow, so it's less efficient than running the smaller engine (or engines) found in most trawlers.

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Take it on a sea trial. In calm water accelerate to 10nm/h and make a hard turn to cross over your own wake (hang on really tight .... no I mean really, really tight). If this doesn't convince you that this boat is a dock queen, nothing will.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
he said "We are looking to use this to cruise the east coast of Florida, St Johns River and when we gain enough sea legs over to the islands."

Sounds like a great boat for the Florida cruise and can make theBahamas if you use your head.

You can do some trial and error cruising on one engine (watch the tranny and stuffing box issues)...some boats like that get pretty good efficiency down in the 5-6 knot range on one...but it depends a lot on YOUR SETUP so no one can tell you one way or the other.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
You asked for opinions. Watch out.
You mean like "Please burn it"?
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
Guru

Thanks for these replies so far. It sounds like this isn't a well behaved boat but what other style can give us this space without sacrificing handling?

Remember, we are mostly looking to cruise the coast & inland waterways.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Take it on a sea trial. In calm water accelerate to 10nm/h and make a hard turn to cross over your own wake (hang on really tight .... no I mean really, really tight). If this doesn't convince you that this boat is a dock queen, nothing will.
You think it will run this fast?
Old 02-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
Guru

City: Trenton
There are no bad boats, just bad captains. Keep it in the conditions it was designed for and you should be happy with it. Carver is a solid boat designed to a purpose.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
There are no bad boats, just bad captains. Keep it in the conditions it was designed for and you should be happy with it. Carver is a solid boat designed to a purpose.
I agree ( a bit, there are lots of bad boats), Carver does build some decent boats, this however is not one of them. This boat is very good at what it was designed for ..... sitting at the dock.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #10

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
About 8 or 9 years ago I had a listing on a 43' Carver aft cabin. I asked the owner why he had two watermakers on board, and he said the second one was for backup for his long trip. So of course I had to ask about his long trip and he replied from Miami to Venezuela and return. Better to be cruising on a (_______ insert lower price boat brand here) than standing on the dock watching the Nordhavns.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtbrokerguy View Post
About 8 or 9 years ago I had a listing on a 43' Carver aft cabin. I asked the owner why he had two watermakers on board, and he said the second one was for backup for his long trip. So of course I had to ask about his long trip and he replied from Miami to Venezuela and return. Better to be cruising on a (_______ insert lower price boat brand here) than standing on the dock watching the Nordhavns.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #12
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
My only reservation with an aft cabin boat of any make or size is that no matter which part of the boat you're in, if you want to go to another area of the boat it involves steps.....lots of steps.

Any time steps are involved there's a potential for a slip, a fall and an injury.

Aft cabin boats make good use of the interior space but they're just not my cup of tea.

To see just how 'tippy' it's going to be, while it's at the dock step onto one side of the swim platform then step back off. Observe how long it takes the boat to stop rocking and rolling.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #13
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
My only reservation with an aft cabin boat of any make or size is that no matter which part of the boat you're in, if you want to go to another area of the boat it involves steps.....lots of steps.

Any time steps are involved there's a potential for a slip, a fall and an injury.

Aft cabin boats make good use of the interior space but they're just not my cup of tea..
Friends of mine bought a 2002 Carver a few months ago. The step thing can be an issue. Wherever you go, you are going up or down steps.

Other than that (and it's a personal thing), it seems like a pretty nice boat. Very well finished inside. I helped them bring it home and ran it for a while. I think it will be fine for the ICW, St. Johns River (great cruise, BTW). I couldn't really say anything about being in the ocean although much smaller boats than this have gone to the islands and back.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

Friends of mine bought a 2002 Carver a few months ago. The step thing can be an issue. Wherever you go, you are going up or down steps.

Other than that (and it's a personal thing), it seems like a pretty nice boat. Very well finished inside. I helped them bring it home and ran it for a while. I think it will be fine for the ICW, St. Johns River (great cruise, BTW). I couldn't really say anything about being in the ocean although much smaller boats than this have gone to the islands and back.
We have considered the steps issue and figured that with the addition of a queen bed & a separate shower that it's worth the gamble.

Anyone have any idea on the fuel burn with these 9l internationals?

How dependable are they?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #15
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
I have an interest in a 1982 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin with twin International 225 HP 9.0L diesels with a reported 1,300 hours with starboard having been rebuilt aprox 100 hrs ago & port having partial in 2008..

I'd be more concerned about he engines than being a Carver. Questions:
  • Why did the old Internationals (can you even get marinization parts) need a rebuild - water ingestion or?
  • What is a partial rebuild?
  • Why this boat?
  • What is your budget, after fixups?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #16
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
We have considered the steps issue and figured that with the addition of a queen bed & a separate shower that it's worth the gamble.
We spent the night in the forward berth and were very comfortable. I opened the hanging locker and a light came on. Impressive. When we got home I started gathering parts to do the same to mine.

My friend's Carver has two Mercruiser gasoline engines so I can't help you with that.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #17
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I would 2nd the concern on the IH diesels. Check the availability of parts, IH is no longer in business & any parts may be difficult to find. Also check the access in the engine compartment to do routine maintenance & fluid checks. If it's a pain in the a$$ to do the checks & maintenance some owners ignore them. I would not buy any boat with these unless I could get it cheap enough to re-power it. A guy stayed in the marina last year that bought the same boat with gas power for $15,000.00, looked good sounded good & had a full enclosure that was in good condition.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
I would 2nd the concern on the IH diesels. Check the availability of parts, IH is no longer in business & any parts may be difficult to find. Also check the access in the engine compartment to do routine maintenance & fluid checks. If it's a pain in the a$$ to do the checks & maintenance some owners ignore them. I would not buy any boat with these unless I could get it cheap enough to re-power it. A guy stayed in the marina last year that bought the same boat with gas power for $15,000.00, looked good sounded good & had a full enclosure that was in good condition.
Thanks. I will definitely check these things out.

Didn't know International was out of business.

Just did a quick web check & it appears that parts new and rebuilt are still available.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:45 PM   #19
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Thanks.
Just did a quick web check & it appears that parts new and rebuilt are still available.
The parts you may have the greatest need for are the marinization parts such as HXs, raw water pumps and coolant pumps. Why not a 15 - 20 year newer Bayliner?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post

The parts you may have the greatest need for are the marinization parts such as HXs, raw water pumps and coolant pumps. Why not a 15 - 20 year newer Bayliner?
Good question. We went yesterday & looked at a 91 model that was much closer to us.

Not overly impressed, this one had gas engines, has been neglected and needs some work.

I'm thinking about doing a low ball offer & see what happens.

What the hey??