Old 02-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtbrokerguy View Post
About 8 or 9 years ago I had a listing on a 43' Carver aft cabin. I asked the owner why he had two watermakers on board, and he said the second one was for backup for his long trip. So of course I had to ask about his long trip and he replied from Miami to Venezuela and return. Better to be cruising on a (_______ insert lower price boat brand here) than standing on the dock watching the Nordhavns.
Yes!

Thanks!

A common sense post regarding Coastal Cruisers!

Thanks!

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:43 AM   #22
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post

Yes!

Thanks!

A common sense post regarding Coastal Cruisers!

Thanks!
We are currently negotiating a 91 Carver 36 aft cabin & we're 10K apart. Will see what the result will be shortly.

It has gas engines and I really wanted diesel, not sure if this model was available with diesel.

Wonder how much of a fuel hog this boat is???

Old 03-02-2013, 05:01 AM   #23
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Mate,
I will probably get a bit of stick for this but I would definately steer clear of the petrol engines.
Stick to your guns and find a vessel with a couple or a single medium powered diesels.
You won't regret it.
Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:05 AM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
Mate,
I will probably get a bit of stick for this but I would definately steer clear of the petrol engines.
Stick to your guns and find a vessel with a couple or a single medium powered diesels.
You won't regret it.
Cheers
Benn
We're only buying if they come to our price & it passes the survey - sea trial.

Plus, at my price, I don't think we can get hurt...

The famous last words.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #25
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
fuel hog ...but it will be a fuel hog wth diesels too ...the immersed hull shape is not good oon boats like that.

But if you creep along...you'll split the difference in the more expensive diesels and the slightly higher gas bills.

Unless you are going to cruise full time...going diesel isn't probably going to save money.

Gas is safe if you are.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:56 AM   #26
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
BB, you may also want to consider/check out insurance costs on gas versus diesel if you haven't already. It is considerably higher where I live, like double.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
fuel hog ...but it will be a fuel hog wth diesels too ...the immersed hull shape is not good oon boats like that.

But if you creep along...you'll split the difference in the more expensive diesels and the slightly higher gas bills.

Unless you are going to cruise full time...going diesel isn't probably going to save money.

Gas is safe if you are.
I think it's mainly the difference between this and the 25' express cruiser I have now.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
BB, you may also want to consider/check out insurance costs on gas versus diesel if you haven't already. It is considerably higher where I live, like double.
I checked insurance and full coverage is $740 a year less if I still have the other boat.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
I think it's mainly the difference between this and the 25' express cruiser I have now.
If you cruise it at 6-7 knots it may not be as bad as you think...but it's a rare individual that doesn't try to run those babies on plane and burn 40+/- gallons per hour at 20 knots. That's 1/2 mile per gallon.

If you find your sweet spot slow cruise around 5-7 knots...you may dounle that fuel efficiency but at the price of going 1/3 as fast.

So you have to decide when and where you will cruise every year and what your fuel budget will be.

Overall it may not be that bad unless you are cruising full time so that leave you the option of going either fast or slow depending on your schedule.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:

If you cruise it at 6-7 knots it may not be as bad as you think...but it's a rare individual that doesn't try to run those babies on plane and burn 40+/- gallons per hour at 20 knots. That's 1/2 mile per gallon.

If you find your sweet spot slow cruise around 5-7 knots...you may dounle that fuel efficiency but at the price of going 1/3 as fast.

So you have to decide when and where you will cruise every year and what your fuel budget will be.

Overall it may not be that bad unless you are cruising full time so that leave you the option of going either fast or slow depending on your schedule.
Thank you for this advice.

I have no issue with cruising slow as the ICW has become a speed zone anyway.

I figured we could anchor off on the backside of the inlet most days and dinghy over to the beach which is within a couple of miles of the lift.

We would like to do the St John's river which is a total of about 400 miles round trip maybe once a year and hopefully take it south to Lauderdale of Stuart in the winter and go down 3-4 times for some short getaways.

I guess the first thing is that I need to counteroffer their counteroffer...
Old 03-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
As an aft cabin owner, I find it amazing that there are as many negative opinions as there are. Yes, there are steps, but they are much easier to negotiate than a boat with ladders.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
As an aft cabin owner, I find it amazing that there are as many negative opinions as there are. Yes, there are steps, but they are much easier to negotiate than a boat with ladders.
Ditto.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #33
Guru

I like the idea of the covered aft deck along with the bridge. Makes for some fantastic outdoor areas. Seems so much more than a sedan/convertible.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
I like the idea of the covered aft deck along with the bridge. Makes for some fantastic outdoor areas. Seems so much more than a sedan/convertible.
True but some designs are easier to single hand...a necessity at times.

Not that any boat can't be single handed...just some are a bit easier.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #35
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:

If you find your sweet spot slow cruise around 5-7 knots...you may double that fuel efficiency but at the price of going 1/3 as fast.
Or how about going 3-4 knots. Think of the fuel you'll save then! Or, better yet, leave the throttles set at idle and you should be burning almost "no fuel" and with one hell of an extended range!

Geez...at some point you have to get to your destination in a "reasonable" length of time! If you want to be on the water and really save on fuel, build a raft with a 55 gallon barrel on each corner and anchor it out!! My God, this gph thing is getting rediculous!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
Or how about going 3-4 knots. Think of the fuel you'll save then! Or, better yet, leave the throttles set at idle and you should be burning almost "no fuel" and with one hell of an extended range!

Geez...at some point you have to get to your destination in a "reasonable" length of time! If you want to be on the water and really save on fuel, build a raft with a 55 gallon barrel on each corner and anchor it out!! My God, this gph thing is getting rediculous!
I cruise at 6-6.5 knots. I don't have any place to be and cruise between stops of 20-30 N. miles a day...what's the big deal?

I have run fast boats most of my life...missed a lot more along the way I can say than I do now...at 6 knots attentiveness isn't nearly as intense... so after 5 -6 hours of driving, I'm not fatigued at all.

I've cruised about 1200 NM in the last 2.5 months...Jersey to near the Florida line and am headed back slowly now...I like going fast sometimes...but I couldn't afford the fuel bill if I tried it at 2 knots faster...so it's the tale of the tortoise ad the hare for me.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #37
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
There are no bad boats, just bad captains. Keep it in the conditions it was designed for and you should be happy with it. Carver is a solid boat designed to a purpose.
well said Alormaria....each boat design is intended to excell in one area so what you must do is nail down the most important job intended for your new boat and then shop accodingly. Will you be spending lots of time in rivers or on the flats or travering intercostal waterways or blue water, etc. After you pick this first condition then list the most desirable charactoristics for this type of boating.......naw, forget all that,just pick your boating intent then post a thread and ask forum members what is the best boat design for this kind of boating.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:17 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
We are looking to use a boat to cruise the east coast of Florida, St Johns River and when we gain enough sea legs over to the islands.

thanks

any opinions and replies will be appreciated.

So what would be the best boat for this type of use?
Old 03-03-2013, 03:25 AM   #39
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. BB. "So what would be the best boat for this type of use?" What do you like.? Mr. al said it all in post #8.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:32 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. BB. "So what would be the best boat for this type of use?" What do you like.? Mr. al said it all in post #8.
For the use we are intending to use the boat for; a floating condo.

Not looking to cross any oceans, leave port in anything but ideal conditions or get anywhere in a hurry. Anchoring off and relaxing, swimming, fishing or just reading a book.