Operational Cost Comparison Cruising Sailboat vs Cruising FD Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm very interested in this discussion because I'm looking at buying a boat in a few years for family long distance cruising and have a history in the Sailboat area. For family cruising I prefer the more open (i.e. windows) and weather protection (pilot house/cabin) of a power boat, but can also enjoy sailing but perhaps not as much in bad weather.

If the yearly operational cost is close - as it seems it might be with the longer, thinner designs like the Dashew FPB and Artnautica - and assuming depreciation would be similar on the sailboat and powerboat - then I'd prefer to go with the power.

But I've not done the full financial analysis - and as people have mentioned its really going to come down to the assumptions you make in the financial model - but from Dashew's calculations it seems so firmly to fall into the camp of the powerboat being more cost effective longer term.

I'm just wondering why so many people here seem to believe that the Dashew numbers are wrong. Is he too aggressive on the replacement of all the gear on a specific schedule (sails, etc.) or is it because he's doing offshore sailing and therefore he wants to remove as much risk as possible in the gear side of things so he's very regimented on his upkeep schedule on the sailboat.

Or, is it because the Beowulf 70 foot sailboat that he's using as a comparison is so much more expensive than most people's sailboats that we'd realistically be comparing a power boat against.

Any opinions on this?

I think the Dashew numbers were in the ballpark. he compared too expensive, long boats.

The only figure I question was the cost his cost of $2 per nm. I think $3 is more like it using his numbers and $4/gal fuel.

And that to me is a big deal because then the cost of the Dashew boat is at best three times my KK42.

ANd my trans-Atlantic trip, instead of costing $4k, would cost $12k and

At that point, I'd be sitting at home polishing my Dock Queen.

I think the Dashew numbers were in the ballpark. he compared too expensive, long boats.

The only figure I question was the cost his cost of $2 per nm. I think $3 is more like it using his numbers and $4/gal fuel.

And that to me is a big deal because then the cost of the Dashew boat is at best three times my KK42.

ANd my trans-Atlantic trip, instead of costing $4k, would cost $12k and

At that point, I'd be sitting at home polishing my Dock Queen.

Bravo!!!

How can we even talk about being efficient (in terms of $$ per NM) while sitting in a million dollar plus boat.

Your KK42 I would argue provides three types of efficiency. Initial purchase, lifecycle costs, and operating costs.

With most peoples cruising style being much more time in ports, actually getting off the boat and seeing the places they pull into, rather than braving the high seas, I see a comfortable, reasonably price, reasonably efficient boat offering true efficiency or "value"

Or pur another way you can buy a heck of allot of fuel, I would argue more than a lifetimes fuel with the difference in boat prices of say a Dashew and a KK42

Last edited:
Sailing was a past phase of my life, without regret. Life was much simpler then. "Trawlers" is the current phase.

Im sure many will agree that there is something about sailing that you cannot put a price on. I'm not sure there are many things in life I have experienced as truly fulfilling as making a deep water passage under sail. Sure I love my trawler, but I long for the day when I have the time to pursue trans-ocean voyages in another sailboat.
MyPictures7.jpg

I'm very interested in this discussion because I'm looking at buying a boat in a few years for family long distance cruising and have a history in the Sailboat area. For family cruising I prefer the more open (i.e. windows) and weather protection (pilot house/cabin) of a power boat, but can also enjoy sailing but perhaps not as much in bad weather.

I would rather be in a sailboat in bad weather than in my trawler. I would prefer being at a bar, near a dock, than either in the sail boat or the trawler ultimately.

I'm just wondering why so many people here seem to believe that the Dashew numbers are wrong. Is he too aggressive on the replacement of all the gear on a specific schedule (sails, etc.) or is it because he's doing offshore sailing and therefore he wants to remove as much risk as possible in the gear side of things so he's very regimented on his upkeep schedule on the sailboat.

The comparison for those two vessels may have worked out as they have, but I don't think they are indicative of what many other comparisons would show. I believe Eyschulman, Larry M's, and my experience are more indicative of what a majority of similar sail v. trawler comparisons would show. If you're strictly talking about operating costs, the fuel burn on the trawler comes up a loser. Tack on larger and more complex systems and it only increases the gap. Maintaining rigging and replacing sails every what 7-10 yrs won't close that gap entirely. And lets face it: Fuel won't get much cheaper, and probably will not stay at these prices forever. The more fuel costs, the more the sailboat comes ahead.

Or, is it because the Beowulf 70 foot sailboat that he's using as a comparison is so much more expensive than most people's sailboats that we'd realistically be comparing a power boat against.
I don't think your operating costs increase linearly as the vessel gets bigger and a boat that size has little relevance when compared against operating costs of 30-40-or even 50 footers. I also think there are many variables missing. For example, as the boats age, what would it cost to redo the gelcoat or paint. Look at how much more trawler area there is to do. (Did someone else make the same point?).

Well I'm sure I've said enough that many will disagree with. I'll go back to that scotch now :)

I would rather be in a sailboat in bad weather than in my trawler. I would prefer being at a bar ... Well I'm sure I've said enough that many will disagree with. I'll go back to that scotch now :)

????????????

Kevin
Portland, OR

Please allow me to introduce myself...

Hey i still own a sailboat, she's for sale, but for now still ours. And besides, search your feelings, you know this to be true.

ok that's all the bad references I can come up with. Got a date with the wife. Gotta boo-boo. (who knew, I had one more)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom