Old 10-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #41
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: Operating a twin on one engine and fuel economy

This time I agree almost 100% with you Rick. I've been tempted to tell timjet to just get a smaller boat if he's so concerned w fuel burn but I love to pick questionable things apart to see if there's something new and interesting to learn. Yet there usually seems to be people taking part in the discussion while saying there's no point in the discussion. I don't understand why ther'e there. But since you're one of them Rick * ..perhaps you can explain yourself. If I was timjet I'd get a smaller boat but the market being what it is now may make that an undesirable option. If I really wanted to keep the boat and go slow I'd modify the stern into a displacement shape that would allow much better economy than a planing twin running single * * *....without the option of much more speed.

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #42
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

But since you're one of them Rick * ..perhaps you can explain yourself.

If I really wanted to keep the boat and go slow I'd modify the stern into a displacement shape that would allow much better economy than a planing twin running single * * *....without the option of much more speed.
Explain what? I stayed out of this silliness until it got too ridiculous to ignore then I responded to your question,* FF's traditional stupidity, and your claim that I have some "method."

And if you believe rebuilding the stern of a pleasure vessel is a means to achieve economy then this thread really has become seriously ridiculous.

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:04 PM   #43
Guru

Operating a twin on one engine and fuel economy

Here is the 2nd post by the gent from BC.

"Yes, I meant economical.

I have run fuel curves for my boat for speeds from about 7 knots to 10 knots. I tried running on one engine over the same speed range. There was no point where the fuel mileage was higher running on one engine. I ran the range with one engine stopped and with one engine idling in forward (to simulate a failsafe condition on one engine). The mileage was worse with one engine stopped than with one at idle in forward.*

The power requirement at a given speed is the same. When running on one engine the added drag from steering to hold course burns more fuel at the same speed on my boat.

My experience is not the same as ___. *I'm sure each boat and power package are different.

My boat is a Sabre 42 Express. Two Cummins QSB 5.9L 425HP engines and Zeus pod drives. 1.5 miles/gallon at 8.7 knots/1200 RPM and 1.4 miles/gallon at 9.2 knots/1300 RPM. Above 10.5 knots mileage is .7-.8 miles/gallon to 25 knots."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So it appears this fellow has put a lot of effort into finding out what is and what aint. And his boat is not too dissimilar from tinjet's....except the Zeus Drive.
Here is another post. This one is from a man who posts very regularly and I've come to highly respect his views as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If you know the charter boats made by Delta Marine, the semi-displacement 43 and 50 both have guys that have seasonally commuted to Alaska and locked one shaft or removed one prop for the ride. They felt that it was of value. With fuel at the price level it is now, tho, I doubt that there are many commuters. Certainly here (Kenai Peninsula) there are no longer commuters.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like some serious experience went into the history that this post represents. I hear a lot of credible stuff from quite a few smart people and much of it is not in agreement w the rest. This leads me to believe there's a lot of difference from boat to boat but I'm not see'in that difference. I am see'in a lot of disagreement about the elements of this question and the many related variables that lead us around the issue. Is this thing related to politics or religion? I'd like to know * *is it or is'nt it?

"

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Sunday 24th of October 2010 08:03:20 PM
Old 10-24-2010, 08:22 PM   #44
Guru

"I stayed out of this silliness until it got too ridiculous to ignore then I responded to your question,"Well if it is silly I would think it would be a very good reason to stay out of it. You say it's reason to jump in. Well * *...here you are and I am trying to explain you because you won't.
You're "system" is as I see it from your posts is to look at the power and fuel consumption curves. But how can we get to "knows" from a wide variety of "unknowns"?
Help us out here Rick or be a lurker for a while.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:37 AM   #45
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

I will just throw a fact in here as well. I just skimmed this thread. But do not assume power curves for diesel engines are linear....they are far from it. Especially turbocharged engines. I don't know if y'all have been looking at actual curves provided by the manufacturer or just assuming that at half RPM, you have half the power......which is totally false.

....as you were.....

-- Edited by Baker on Monday 25th of October 2010 05:38:00 AM
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:29 AM   #46
FF
Guru

"I don't know if y'all have been looking at actual curves provided by the manufacturer or just assuming that at half RPM, you have half the power."

This is the key to the problem of attempting to re-prop or new build a really efficient boat.

The fuel map, or BSFC graph is always missing from all the sales material from the engine mfg.

No amount of asking seems to locate them for the common marinizations.

Easier to find the plans for a T88 nuke weapon than actual useful info from the engine folks.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:56 AM   #47
Scraping Paint

Quote:
FF wrote:"Easier to find the plans for a T88 nuke weapon than actual useful info from the engine folks.
And probably about as useful to a recreational boater.* You've used that excuse not to buy an engine for the past few years FF, it's begining to lose its impact.

Unless you plan to install a CP propeller with a computerized "combinator" to measure torque, calculate BMEP, control pitch, rpm, boost, temperature, timing, and fueling, you won't benefit from your elusive BSFC map. If you have*a few hundred thousand in spare cash lying around*to contract for the engine instrumentation,*tank testing and development of this one-off device that might save you*a few cents a day in fuel, then have at it.

Even the big boys who measure fuel consumption in tons and now run their engines down at 35 percent to save fuel don't use or need what you claim you can't live without. They do demand and base their operation and turbocharger selection on compressor maps so that the turbo recovers as much energy as possible through variable*turbine nozzels and such*but for the most part, unless the*engine is optomized for low load running, the fuel consumption pretty much tracks engine load, percent for percent. That is how engines work.*

As far as the rest of the group goes, trying to calculate this stuff is absurd. Take your boat out and run the thing to see what works best for your engine in your boat in what configuration. Who cares what some other guy claims he gets*out of*a different boat and engine?
Old 10-25-2010, 09:40 AM   #48
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
RickB wrote:
"As far as the rest of the group goes, trying to calculate this stuff is absurd. Take your boat out and run the thing to see what works best for your engine in your boat in what configuration. Who cares what some other guy claims he gets*out of*a different boat and engine?"
Whew, Finally someone said it! This exercise compares to the solar car race that is*
held annually. The race that has the lightest, skinniest, soap box derby wheels cars
on the planet. The race that endeavors to find the stingiest, energy consuming cars
in the Universe! I know, I know, I don't have to read it, but if you only knew how
"silly" this whole conversation is, as evidenced by the few members who
contribute, you would let it* die a fast death. OR, take up kayaking! That doesn't
burn much fuel either!

End of rant.

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:53 AM   #49
Guru

Here is the latest from Boat Design. This is by one of my favorite guys. I think he is really smart and usually able to see through smoke screens.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Quote:
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" style="width:100%;"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="font:normal normal normal 10pt/normal verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:#dedede;color:#000066;border:1px inset;">Originally Posted by*______.

The power requirement at a given speed is the same. When running on one engine the added drag from steering to hold course burns more fuel at the same speed on my boat.

My experience is not the same as CDK's. I'm sure each boat and power package are different.

</td></tr></tbody></table>
"That I cannot deny.
With the props far apart and a considerable rudder angle to hold course, the fuel savings effect is reduced.

My own experience is from the time I had twin Mercruisers close together. There wasn't much drag increase running on one engine in that case.
I had fuel flow sensors connected to a Navman fishfinder showing a reduction of approx. 30% if the speed was kept below hull speed. With increasing speed the savings were decreasing rapidly.*
How it turned out at planing speed I do not know: maintaining planing speed on one engine was not possible.

The ultimate solution for saving fuel at displacement speed is of course the variable pitch prop because only with that you can obtain the proper engine load at low rpm. But that is quite another topic."
FF will like the comment about the variable pitch prop. And one of the biggest variables (distance between screws) is emphasized * *...w good reason (I think). Also put on the table was engine loading but at these very low loadings I suspect that's not much of an issue. Fly stuff or fly stuff X2.
John,
Yes and jimjet has had difficulty getting ahold of that. But at these very low speeds and low loadings it's probably closer than usual.
FF,
"Easier to find the plans for a T88 nuke weapon than actual useful info from the engine folks." Your joke was taken seriously. I have seen quite a few BSFC graphs but I look at 30 and 40 hp engines that are frequently used in stationary mode so that could be the reason. I didn't know you were shopping for a new engine??? Why would you do that as you've got the best engine ever built. They win me over w the sound.
This topic is getting to be like anchors. Shall we go for 100 posts or do as Rick suggests * * *... *just can it. I'm game for either.
Hey Walt,
Looks like your'e in your Baugh Humbug mode today. Looks like the thread has about the average number of posts per views. I think I see the problem w you and Rick and probably a bunch of lurkers (they are the majority aren't they?). I scanned the forum and I don't see any other interesting threads so you guys are stuck with this foggy thread about economy, and economy about something not too far different than "how do you get the best economy driving your Rolls Royce"

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Monday 25th of October 2010 10:12:28 AM
Old 10-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #50
Scraping Paint

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:"Easier to find the plans for a T88 nuke weapon than actual useful info from the engine folks." Your joke was taken seriously.

I have seen quite a few BSFC graphs but I look at 30 and 40 hp engines that are frequently used in stationary mode so that could be the reason.
Unfortunately, it wasn't a joke, and you don't understand what he is looking for.

FF has been whining for years that he can't find a "fuel map"*for his dream engine. That map is far and away different from the graphs you have been looking at. They don't exist, as a rule, for marine engines that drive a propeller because the propeller laws allow a simple graphing of the relevant information but FF doesn't understand that either.

The fuel map he wants shows "islands of equal BSFC" for various loads and rpm based on BMEP. That form of showing "efficiency" works for spark ignition engines with throttles that drive multi ratio transmissions - like cars for instance. They*are developed for automotive diesel applications which use computer controls and have inputs for air flow, wheel speed, coolant temperature, exhaust gas temperture, inlet temperature and pressure,*and other variables which can be controlled by the computer but are not worth the manufacturer's time and expense otherwise.

See through smoke screens? Usually where there is smoke there is fire, this thread is just smoke with very little heat ...

-- Edited by RickB on Monday 25th of October 2010 12:09:08 PM
Old 10-25-2010, 12:42 PM   #51
Guru

Thanks Rick for the clarification about BMEP and "fuel maps" that admittedly I didn't know what were. I may be miss'in some screws on sentence structure as well. I thought the nuke weapon and engine brochure was joke. I must be more careful about what I say as the "smoke screen" comment wasn't directed to anything you said Rick. Was loosely referring to all the widely differing views on this issue. When you refer to BMEP you should state once in a while what it means as most of the Guys here probably have never heard of brake mean effective pressure as I (other than on this forum) have never heard of fuel maps. There's several hundred guys and one or two women we're talking to.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #52
Scraping Paint

City: -

Having run our boat on one engine (both port and starboard) and with the prop both locked and freewheeling due to precautionary engine shutdowns I can tell you that, fuel savings or not, it's not a pleasant way to run the boat. The non-powered prop puts out a lot of turbulence that buffets the rudder behind it which, depending on your steering system you may nor may not feel in the wheel. This same turbulence makes steering a rather jerky and non-precise affair, again depending on the kind of steering your boat has. We have cable-chain so whatever happens at the rudder is transmitted to the wheel.

Given that fuel is still one of the smallest percentages of the total cost of boat ownership it doesn't make any sense to me to try to eke out a few dollars in fuel savings by runing the boat in an unbalanced manner. If one was doing a long distance cruise where fuel use was really critical-- like the guy who did the GB stunt from Hawaii to California--- then there may be some reason to do it. But to run on one on the typical coastal cruise doesn't seem at all productive to me in the overall scheme of things.

The fellow on*the*GB forum*who put together the fuel use*and speed chart I posted the link to*comparing running on both engines to running on the port or starboard engine did this because he was curious what the actual numbers would be (for his boat) vs. simply speculation.* But he said he never actually ran the boat this way.* He always ran Dreamer on two engines, be it long cruises down the coast*to Mexico or short ones around the San Juan Islands.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 25th of October 2010 03:04:55 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #53
Scraping Paint

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:I must be more careful about what I say as the "smoke screen" comment wasn't directed to anything you said Rick.
I understood that and took no offense.*
Old 10-25-2010, 02:51 PM   #54
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Marin wrote:"Given that fuel is still one of the smallest percentages of the total cost of boat ownership it doesn't make any sense to me to try to eke out a few dollars in fuel savings by runing the boat in an unbalanced manner..... But to run on one on the typical coastal cruise doesn't seem at all productive to me in the overall scheme of things."
__________________________________________________ _____________
I thought about an insightful response to this thread, and guess what? As usual, Marin has stolen my thunder.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #55
Guru

One more Canadian w 2 610 hp Cummins says he found no advantage running single. I think he's got a big Sea Ray.Walt,
Marin's a quick draw poster and to our good fortune he is an expert on the world at large.
His best stuff has been (in my opinion) on OTDE but he has beat me to the punch on the boat stuff too. Know'in what to say is good but know'in when to say it and say'in it is golden. Cheers for Marin.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:05 AM   #56
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:Marin wrote:"Given that fuel is still one of the smallest percentages of the total cost of boat ownership it doesn't make any sense to me to try to eke out a few dollars in fuel savings by runing the boat in an unbalanced manner..... But to run on one on the typical coastal cruise doesn't seem at all productive to me in the overall scheme of things."
__________________________________________________ _____________
I thought about an insightful response to this thread, and guess what? As usual, Marin has stolen my thunder.
Dito, and spot on..... if I had two engines, I'd run them both, but not at WOT very often, I'd just rejoice quietly in having some real reserve power if I needed it, limp home capacity if the worst happened, and the extra manoeverability, but be darned if I'd be frigging round, weaving along, worrying what was happening to the gear box, or whether I had clamped the non-running engine properly, just to save a few bucks diesel.* And while I'm at it, may I remind you guys you still have the cheapest diesel in the world, so stop worrying.

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #57
Guru

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

I've been tempted to tell timjet to just get a smaller boat if he's so concerned w fuel burn but I love to pick questionable things apart to see if there's something new and interesting to learn.
Eric,
I'm very happy with my boat. If fuel was the most important issue I would have chosen differently. My purpose in starting this thread was to get folks opinion and apparently this thread has taken a different course than I intended.
I can think of many reasons to be familar with the fuel efficiency configurations of your boat. Going to the Bahamas and back without refueling with their rotten fuel is simply one.

timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:06 PM   #58
Guru

Quote:
RickB wrote:Who really cares if they save 12 cents an hour or spend 11 cents more?
Well lets see, if my calculations are correct and the Cummins supplied fuel charts are correct then single engine I'm saving 75 cents per mile on one engine (see original post) at 7.1 knots which equates to $5.32 an hour.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:

The non-powered prop puts out a lot of turbulence that buffets the rudder behind it which, depending on your steering system you may nor may not feel in the wheel. This same turbulence makes steering a rather jerky and non-precise affair, again depending on the kind of steering your boat has.

Given that fuel is still one of the smallest percentages of the total cost of boat ownership it doesn't make any sense to me to try to eke out a few dollars in fuel savings by runing the boat in an unbalanced manner.

Operating single engine feels no different than 2 on my boat. Once you've applied rudder correction you would not know one was shut down. I have hydraulic steering, small rudders, and props than are relatively close together.

I agree fuel is still one of the lowest costs of boat operation. Let's hope it remains that way.

Perhaps when diesel rises to $5/gal we'll revisit this issue.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #60
Scraping Paint

Quote:
timjet wrote:Well lets see, if my calculations are correct and the Cummins supplied fuel charts are correct then single engine I'm saving 75 cents per mile on one engine (see original post) at 7.1 knots which equates to $5.32 an hour.
Yeah, you mentioned that in your original post. You stated clearly what your results were. and what the fuel savings are for you and your boat.

See the second and every subsequent post ... they talk about, and question how much, if any, savngs are to be had by locking the shaft or letting it freewheel. That is what the thread is about.

Hence the question "Who really cares if they save 12 cents an hour or spend 11 cents more?"

-- Edited by RickB on Tuesday 26th of October 2010 01:05:05 PM