Opencpn or equivalent raster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawgwash

Guru
Is there a raster version of something like Opencpn?

WA, AK and BC folks will recognize the Marine Atlas Vol 1 & 2 and I want something like that for my PC/laptop. Don't need it to overlay or interface; just want it for sitting on a log perusing.

Attachments

• 617gf+36uHL__SX403_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    617gf+36uHL__SX403_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Most PC navigation software will run raster charts but you need the digital charts of the area you wish and for Canada they are not free. If you have an Ipad you can download the Nobeltec navigation app for free and then buy the raster charts of Canada for the app, they are way less money than those for the PC.

Most PC navigation software will run raster charts but you need the digital charts of the area you wish and for Canada they are not free. If you have an Ipad you can download the Nobeltec navigation app for free and then buy the raster charts of Canada for the app, they are way less money than those for the PC.

Thanks Mike.
I'm just looking for a time waster at this point and really don't know what my end setup will look like. I thought maybe there might be a pdf version of the Atlas or something and even though the Atlas is old not many of the rocks have relocated.

I do my morning coffee and muffin at the Georgia Café and it would be more fun looking at charts than the same old massage ads.

On my wifes and mine, Nexus 7 tablets, we have Navionic chartware for about $60. It included the charts. You will need to take some time to scan through the whole area of the coast you intend to cruise in. The entire chart set does not download immediately but as you use them. This does mean you MUST have a good internet connection.

I've done all of the area I ever expect to cruise, Olympia to Alaska. Once done it is then on your machine untill you wipe it.

We also bought the routing app but I don't care for it, you might. But for the basic function it works well and didn't cost a bomb.

OpenCpn works with either NOAA raster charts or vector charts. You can download either or both to work with OpenCpn.

David

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom