Open Hatch Railing Protection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stabi

A bad fall into a bilge took me out of commission for a couple years. ......
Last year a neighbor took a fall too. Both of us made the EXACT SAME ERROR. Both of us were injured badly too. .....Lesson learned: ALWAYS close the hatches even if only for five minutes. We would both like to think we are smarter than to step into a hole, but alas, we are not!

HI Janice, Glad that you have healed.

Our 3 boats ago Uniflite came on the market when the 75ish wife fell into the bilge because of an open cockpit hatch.
We are now both in our upper 70's and our current cockpit hatch is big and heavy. Even though it has gas shocks, it is difficult for my wife to open and close. I would like to install sockets in the deck , like the sockets that are used on the swim grid for removable staples, around the hatch so that we could place temporary 1 1/4" uprights with webbing in between, as a barrier when the hatch is open. I can only find 2" sockets. Does anyone know of a source for sockets that can be placed in the deck that are flush with the deck in a smaller size than 2"
Thanks

A bad fall into a bilge took me out of commission for a couple years. ......
Last year a neighbor took a fall too. Both of us made the EXACT SAME ERROR. Both of us were injured badly too. .....Lesson learned: ALWAYS close the hatches even if only for five minutes. We would both like to think we are smarter than to step into a hole, but alas, we are not!

HI Janice, Glad that you have healed.

Our 3 boats ago Uniflite came on the market when the 75ish wife fell into the bilge because of an open cockpit hatch.
We are now both in our upper 70's and our current cockpit hatch is big and heavy. Even though it has gas shocks, it is difficult for my wife to open and close. I would like to install sockets in the deck , like the sockets that are used on the swim grid for removable staples, around the hatch so that we could place temporary 1 1/4" uprights with webbing in between, as a barrier when the hatch is open. I can only find 2" sockets. Does anyone know of a source for sockets that can be placed in the deck that are flush with the deck in a smaller size than 2"
Thanks

Look at the sockets for seats that go in small boats like bass boats....

If too big (which the flange is because of the torque produced for seating, similar to someone falling against a post) take the idea to a machine shop and have them make some to mount underneath the deck so the flange doesn't show. I haven't seen too many where the flange isn't on top, but if I think of some I will post them.

https://www.amazon.com/MATINA-Alumi...&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583589123399189&th=1

Attachments

• 51eGJHSJB8L._AC_SX569_.jpg
    51eGJHSJB8L._AC_SX569_.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Look at the sockets for seats that go in small boats like bass boats....

If too big (which the flange is because of the torque produced for seating, similar to someone falling against a post) take the idea to a machine shop and have them make some to mount underneath the deck so the flange doesn't show. I haven't seen too many where the flange isn't on top, but if I think of some I will post them.

https://www.amazon.com/MATINA-Alumi...&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583589123399189&th=1

Mount it upside down underneath the floor. Bore a hole in the floor to allow the protrusion to stick thru and cut it flush with the floor. Mount the pole or brace or whatever you design for the railing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom