Old 03-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Monk 36 owners -- H20 tanks?

OK, so after getting everything fixed and hauled out over the winter, and dealing with stuffing box issues, and Spring is finally almost here...

I crawled back behind the master cabin to finally identify where the H20 tanks were and where the valves were.** I have three where I thought I had two.* Although I have three clearly marked "water" fill caps aft, I figured two of those led to one big tank, for convenience -- what kind of 36 foot boat has three water tanks?* Well mine does.* The question is this:

Why did they put the third small tank in?* it holds maybe 20 gallons while the port and starboard main tanks both must hold at least 100 gallons each.*

How should the valves be configured?* Should I open the port and starboard mains and let them drain equally and save the 20 gallon tank as a reserve?* As it was set when I got to it, the port tank was open along with the reserve, and the starboard tank was closed.* When I have chartered, they always told me to run one until it gurgles, then close the valve and then open the valve on the next tank.*

These valves are a real pain to get to, and we typically don't use that much water, so I guess what I'm asking is how should I configure all the valves for the least amount of work?
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
RE: Monk 36 owners -- H20 tanks?

Boy,* I know what I would do with that 20gallon tank..* Pipe it individually to the head and have a fresh water flush system.

Just me.**

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
JohnP wrote:

Boy,* I know what I would do with that 20gallon tank..* Pipe it individually to the head and have a fresh water flush system.

Just me.**

JohnP
The way we flush, the tank would go dry in no time!*

What's wrong with flushing with raw water?* Is it stinky?* We've been flushing about a 1/2 gallon of vinegar down each head before we leave and we have no odors at all.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Monk 36 owners -- H20 tanks?

Woody-
That is surprising to hear you have 3 tanks...definitely does not sound like it came that way! Our 1983 is not configured that way at all. We have 2 large tanks under the aft stateroom berth- right at about 200 gallons worth. I loose storage I guess but I have real good access to the tanks and valves.
I don't know if it is right or not but my belief on water tanks- the more you cycle through the water the better. I always keep our tanks connected and open all the time so that they drain evenly and at the same time. I also only have one fill cap for the 2 tanks and it fills them both via a manifold. *I have no interest in keeping one tank full and having water sit there for a long time stagnating. I suggest connecting the tanks via a manifold so that they are all drawn down equally so that your are properly cycling through your water tanks to keep them fresh and clean as possible.
On the 20 gallon tank- sounds odd. Have you traced the plumbing to make sure it isn't in fact routed to your head?

Where are your 3 tanks located? The old water tank originally installed is still there (long since abandoned)- it was behind the aft stateroom desk on port side just off the transom. I have been contemplating whether to cut it up to create more storage or possibly install a washer/dryer.

-- Edited by Woodsong on Monday 7th of March 2011 09:36:06 PM
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
Egregious wrote:

JohnP wrote:

Just me.**

JohnP
The way we flush, the tank would go dry in no time!*

What's wrong with flushing with raw water?* Is it stinky?* We've been flushing about a 1/2 gallon of vinegar down each head before we leave and we have no odors at all.
WoodySave the vinegar. Switch to fresh water. That's all it takes to stink free. And practice a little conservation. A little pee only needs a minor rinse. As to the other, I'll let you be the judge. I use just enough to make sure it has reached the holding tank.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Woody
Save the vinegar. Switch to fresh water. That's all it takes to stink free. And practice a little conservation. A little pee only needs a minor rinse. As to the other, I'll let you be the judge. I use just enough to make sure it has reached the holding tank
I flush the vinegar after we have pumped out and are ready to leave the boat for a week or more, not every time I take a leak.* Not sure that came across.* But we've done this and have not had any odors in our boat yet.

As for fresh water, is there a reason that is less stinky than raw water (in our case salt water) ?* There are a lot of things living in it, I know that for sure!

Old 03-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
Egregious wrote:
Woody
Save the vinegar. Switch to fresh water. That's all it takes to stink free. And practice a little conservation. A little pee only needs a minor rinse. As to the other, I'll let you be the judge. I use just enough to make sure it has reached the holding tank
I flush the vinegar after we have pumped out and are ready to leave the boat for a week or more, not every time I take a leak.* Not sure that came across.* But we've done this and have not had any odors in our boat yet.

As for fresh water, is there a reason that is less stinky than raw water (in our case salt water) ?* There are a lot of things living in it, I know that for sure!I am, no Marine Biologist, but I am told, that salt water does contain a much more biologically active mix ( my words, not those of scientists ). Having heard something along those lines, I made the move to fresh water, and the results were slendiferous!!! Never looked back.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:57 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

Woody, I have 3 tanks. Two large (250 litres each) in the aft lazarette, which are combined via a Y valve, so they both drain equally and therefore level the vessel, but could be isolated. The 3rd is a bladder type I installed in some waste space for'd under the front cabin floor. That one is only 150 litres, but that I use as the reserve tank, but I always drain it at least once a season to keep it fresh like someone else mentioned. Is it possible this is why you have 3? If not, why not set it up so that it is. Both mains draining equally, and the third as a small reserve....?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Could you find a way to use that small tank for beer?
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
koliver wrote:

Could you find a way to use that small tank for beer?
Beer? Nah, if you didn't consume it all in one season you'd have to winterize the tank or the beer would freeze. Messy process too. Better to fill it with bourbon. No winterization problems and 20 gals would last (me) at least a couple of seasons.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:25 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

David:
In these waters, nobody has a taste for bourbon and scotch is too expensive to share on that scale, so it would need to be beer or wine.
I do know of some boaters with a pub style pressure tank down in the bilge, for their beer. Both have sailboats, but have a large group of "friends" from both sail and power.

Woody:
Converting an otherwise unused tank to a useful purpose should get a high priority. Let us know when you get it done.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #12
Guru

I like the liquor ideas!* Beer would be good, but it goes flat pretty easy.* I'm thinking Rum.* Definitely don't need the third tank for H20.* I'm one of those skippers who lectures visitors on the virtues of water conservation.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:01 AM   #13
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

I believe Gumbo #230 has only one 100 Gal tank. under the aft bed.
A strange thing happened last night we are tied up a Point Cadet Marina in Biloxi, Ms At the end of a pier just at the entry where the strong SE winds about 15-20 have been blowing. Anyway it got pretty rough last night. About midnight I heard some one banging on a dumpster cover, I thought. Got up and looked around didn't see anything, then it got rougher and louder, maybe an empty metal oil drum fell in the water and is floating around banging on pilings or the side of the boat, no again. Finally it dawned on me it was the water sloshing around in the tank banging on the sides and top and to making the racket. Probably it could use a couple more baffles in there.
First thing this morning I moved to a better protected slip but it is still blasting out there and rocking all over the marina.
Steve W.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote