Old 05-02-2014, 09:42 PM   #1
KJ
El Capitan

City: North Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Oops!

How embarrassing.
This fella was getting ready to dock at Greg Normans restaurant ($$$$) at Barefoot Landing. I was watching him from the back of my boat and noticed that his approach was getting dangerously close to a major shoal area.
I tried to get his attention to by waving at him to let him know (didn’t have time to get on the radio), but it was too late. Sure enough, he slams to a dead stop. He must have had a gazillion bucks worth of nav stuff on that very nice boat, but still managed to veer way too far over.
I thought he was going to burn out his bow thruster trying (unsuccessfully) to get off.

Even more embarrassing, the little Sea Ray that was able to pull him off, to the applause of all the folks dining on the outside deck of the restaurant.

Fortunately for him, the bottom there is all mud, so there probably wasn’t any damage, as opposed to what would have happened less than a mile further up on the “Rock Pile”. KJ

KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
Guru

Do you think before that incident the people on the big boat looked down their noses at little SEA Rays?
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:36 AM   #3
KJ
El Capitan

I don't know if he was looking down his nose at the Sea Ray.
He certainly wasn't looking down at the depth sounder.

I was surprised that the sea Ray was able to pull him off.

I guess there are some considerate boaters on the ICW.

He did offer to buy the Sea Ray skipper a cocktail. KJ
Old 05-03-2014, 01:17 AM   #4
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
It's never fun to watch a boat go aground. It's even less of a joy to watch a boat like that go aground.

That's a major oops, and those always seem to happen when there's an audience.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:32 AM   #5
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
I don't know if he was looking down his nose at the Sea Ray.
He certainly wasn't looking down at the depth sounder.

I was surprised that the sea Ray was able to pull him off.

I guess there are some considerate boaters on the ICW.

He did offer to buy the Sea Ray skipper a cocktail. KJ
Couple O' "Ol' Salt" Observations Here:

1. With today's new/hi-tech equipment pervading the "money is no object" big-boat market... I'm finding that some of the "New" boat Captains (in their 20's/30's) seem to think that the new/hi-tech equipment offers fail-safe programs that answer all navigation questions by simply looking nonstop at numerous screens with fancy, colorful, moving pictures, and fast changing numbers/graphs/squiggely-lines. GEEEZZZZ guys and gals!

2. Did bright big-boat Captain bother to put his/her big-boat in reverse?? Reverse thrust of the big-boat would provide MANY times the power of little Sea Ray. But, somewhat in big-boat Captain's defense... maybe he/she felt it dangerous to turn the props (so - only use lateral thrusters... like that would work!?!?), feeling the props might be also aground because after finally looking at the boring depth sounder when hard aground (whose sending unit may be toward front of big-boat where it is grounded)... reading "0" depth. That's when you take piece of line with weight attached and manually check depth (ya know - old-school "mark twain" and all that) at big-boat rear where props are located. Again, GEEEZZZZ Of course, in all fairness to big-boat Captain; it could also be that even with big-boat in reverse it was necessary to have the little Sea Ray’s miniscule extra power to pull big-boat’s nose off of ground... doubtful, but maybe that was required???

3. Taint nutten like bein an Ol' Salt Boat Captain! Following is basically all that is needed to correctly pilot/use a boat:

a. Boat Handling Capability - i.e. sea keeping and close-quarters boating knowledge as well as much ability (professional, Rube Goldberg or otherwise) to rectify mostly any mechanical/electronic problems that may arise,
b. Compass,
c. Depth Sounder,
d. Current Paper Charts,
e. Binoculars,
f. Wrist Watch,
g. Paper Tablet - with pen/pencil... and, oh yeah, I almost forgot;
h. Open Eyes that don't fixate on equipment screens and that consistently survey all surroundings and boat portions!

Knowen whats cha b doen, an, haven dems eight (8) simple items in hand... dere's jus bout taint no place in da world yas cants go wit a boat - and - STAY AFLOAT!!

Happy Boating Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
KJ
El Capitan

Quote:
Did bright big-boat Captain bother to put his/her big-boat in reverse?? Reverse thrust of the big-boat would provide MANY times the power of little Sea Ray. But, somewhat in big-boat Captain's defense... maybe he/she felt it dangerous to turn the props (so - only use lateral thrusters... like that would work!?!?), feeling the props might be also aground because after finally looking at the boring depth sounder when hard aground

I didn't see him go into reverse until he was off the shoal. I think he was worried the props were dug in also. Yeah, the thruster had no effect at all. KJ
Old 05-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #7
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Amongst some of us locals, we call all those high tech flat screens in the pilot house "the cartoons".

As in, quit watching cartoons and watch where you're going!!!

But we all pile it up eventually. And nothing like doing it with an audience. Been there, done that.

Seems like he handled it ok, it was a conservative decision to not use the wheels. Never know whether there are rocks, lines, old bicycles, whatever on the bank.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #8
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Probably the same guy that doesn't announce or honor a Securite when entering the Rock Pile.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #9
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I'm thinking a 68' OA might have a non-owner captain.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:07 PM   #10
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
It's never fun to watch a boat go aground. It's even less of a joy to watch a boat like that go aground.

That's a major oops, and those always seem to happen when there's an audience.
It might be a bit embarrassing, but a little stuff up and mea culpa is good for the soul. it's stops us from looking down our long noses at other people.

Actually, I have always found it interesting to see how people react when they do come a bit of a cropper, it reveals a bit of a person's character.

As my old dad used to say 'never forget humility and humour, it will see you well'.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #11
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
We've all run aground. Better in mud or sand than on rocks. I just sold a boat and noticed this strange thing on the dash when I got home and looked at the photos. I asked the owner "what is that red and green thing on the dash?" and he said; "It's just a little thing I whipped up as reminder of what direction I'm going at the time." Sheer genius!! He just flips it around for where he's at.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3602.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	29585

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #12
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
I asked the owner "what is that red and green thing on the dash?" and he said; "It's just a little thing I whipped up as reminder of what direction I'm going at the time." Sheer genius!! He just flips it around for where he's at.Attachment 29585

They used to sell something just like that. May still.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:57 PM   #13
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
In my neck of the woods there's two types of boaters. Those that have run aground and liars(perhaps slip huggers). I soft grounded twice last year, self rescued both times. Tow Boat US is always on the move around here.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Knowen whats cha b doen, an, haven dems eight (8) simple items in hand... dere's jus bout taint no place in da world yas cants go wit a boat - and - STAY AFLOAT!!
Am I the only one who can't read this?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:11 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Couple O' "Ol' Salt" Observations Here:

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]
a. Boat Handling Capability - i.e. sea keeping and close-quarters boating knowledge as well as much ability (professional, Rube Goldberg or otherwise) to rectify mostly any mechanical/electronic problems that may arise,
b. Compass,
c. Depth Sounder,
d. Current Paper Charts,
e. Binoculars,
f. Wrist Watch,
g. Paper Tablet - with pen/pencil... and, oh yeah, I almost forgot;
h. Open Eyes that don't fixate on equipment screens and that consistently survey all surroundings and boat portions!
Art I would like to add that whenever I teach boating I like to mention that one of the most important devices on a trawler is the windshield, if you frequently confirm that you can still look out it, you will save yourself a lot of trouble.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #16
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
I never criticise someone who damages their boat. If you never take it out of the slip you'll never damage it. I too have damaged my girl, fortunately she still let's me take her for a ride. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:35 PM   #17
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
YUP!
Old 05-04-2014, 08:38 PM   #18
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Art I would like to add that whenever I teach boating I like to mention that one of the most important devices on a trawler is the windshield, if you frequently confirm that you can still look out it, you will save yourself a lot of trouble.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #19
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Two self rescued groundings (hard sand) and a really good thump all within three hours in one day just north of New Smyrna (ICW). Poop occurs.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:19 PM   #20
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Well, it took me twice before I got it.

What I'm still trying to figure out is how nobody ever runs aground if they just followed those 8 simple steps. Especially since a current tide table is not on the list.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote