One whole week of boat ownership...more disaster!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just Asking!! Is there any special reason for running premium fuel ???

Are you two for real?

Or is this just a TF spoof gone viral.

I am beginning to suspect the latter.

So I am out for now.

I think this is a thoroughly enjoyable thread. It's like a reality show...what's going to happen to those crazy kids next?!? And then we get to debate and offer advice on how to fix it! This is great.

You got an old, relatively inexpensive boat and you can do a lot of the work yourself. Good for you! Have fun with it!

I think this is a thoroughly enjoyable thread. It's like a reality show...what's going to happen to those crazy kids next?!? And then we get to debate and offer advice on how to fix it! This is great.

You got an old, relatively inexpensive boat and you can do a lot of the work yourself. Good for you! Have fun with it!

We figured we could buy a relatively cheap boat and have fun fixing her up and making her our own or we could have spent twice as much and still would have to put money in it to make it our own. At least this boat the interior is all done and to my liking. Every other boat we looked at going up to $100k I would have spent a ton of money redoing the interior. As a woman, the interior was very important to me. Lol

Given this is our first boat that's not trailerable, we figured this was a good place to start. And most importantly, we don't buy things if we don't have the cash to pay for it. If we sunk the boat tomorrow it would suck, but it wouldn't cause any financial hardship. And another thing, it gives us something to DO.

We really enjoy this forum more than any of the other boating forums we've found. I'm learning a ton of stuff from reading posts here I never thought I'd have an interest in. Learning new things is fun. I wish I had something to contribute but since I don't all I can do is talk about our stuff and make fun of ourselves. ;)

The new pump is in for the AC's so hopefully the AC's will be back working today. Thank goodness as its in the 90's here this week. And the mechanic is coming today to see about the water issue in the gas and to do an initial tune up...whatever that all entails. Hubby will be doing it himself from here on out.

:thumb: I'm with clynn on this thread! Reminds me of our adventure when we purchased our boat. Trust me it does get better with time! BTW Stars I'm across the lake from you at Southshore. Love to meet up with you guys one day on the lake.

I wish I had something to contribute but since I don't all I can do is talk about our stuff and make fun of ourselves. ;)

Sounds like a contribution to me even if it is boat comedy hour. I have always been led to believe the 11th Commandment is "Thou shalt not take thyself too seriously."

I wish I had something to contribute but since I don't all I can do is talk about our stuff and make fun of ourselves. ;)

Wifey B: You are contributing. "The trials and tribulations of the star people." "The perseverance of the star people." "Water over the dam and through the fuel fill." Whatever you title it, experiences not as one would wish, but one will deal with and go on to the next. Perhaps you jumped in head first rather than feet first, but you'll float back up. I love the story of N4061's new build but probably more newbies here are going to have experiences closer to yours than to what he's going through. Maybe it helps avoid some pitfalls. Maybe some lessons learned. I don't see you throwing up your hands and running though, just accepting and dealing and going on. :)

I also think at some point you may be able to offer advice from your experience, lessons learned the hard way. Maybe one like "next time we'll get a survey." I don't know. Just keep it coming.

I'm happy to report the SOS is back up and running!
I'm also happy to report the AC's are back up and running too.

Mechanic was there for about 5 hours today...dealing with the water issue but also doing the routine maintenance he was already scheduled to do.

That's because of the rather strange convention in the US, where you call what we call petrol, (derived from petroleum), gas, when clearly it is not a gas. What we call gas, you have to call propane or butane to make clear what you mean. At least we all call diesel, diesel. :D

Very good, so what what do you call erasers?

Now for the technical detail. He pulled about a gallon of free water from the full system. For a tank our size and given where our fuel suction is located, it would not be possible for our engines to operate with a gallon of free water in our fuel tank. Once I have the written report, the negotiations with the marina owning the fuel dock will commence.

AC water pump replacement was pretty straight forward. Reconnect the hoses and electrical and mount the pump base plate to the platform and away we go. Water flow exiting the boat is about two times previous based on the physical distance the water achieves on exit.

On an aside relative to the location of the fuel tank, it appears from review of the owner's manual and PO documentation, the current position, configuration, and sizing of the single port side fuel tank is consistent with the previous installation right down to the tank manufacturer. The only gap is that he only replaced the port side tank. The starboard tank was removed and the fill line blanked off.

After the water pump out, the engines were restarted including the generator and were run for about 2 hours. Fuel stabilizer and water dispersant were added prior to this running. During this run period, the engines operated perfectly.

I am drafting up the plans to modify the fuel system to include water separation and draining equipment. This upgrade will probably be installed within the next couple of months.

Actually just had to fill my rental car and not a diesel pump in sight. Fortunately found the gasoil pump without too much trouble:)!

Wifey B - "I also think at some point you may be able to offer advice from your experience, lessons learned the hard way. Maybe one like "next time we'll get a survey." I don't know. Just keep it coming."

Comedy gold....:rofl::rofl::lol:

I do enjoy reading about your trials as you get your vessel up to snuff. I imagine the challenges you are experiencing are more common than not. Good luck and have fun!!

Last edited:
We figured we could buy a relatively cheap boat and have fun fixing her up and making her our own or we could have spent twice as much and still would have to put money in it to make it our own. At least this boat the interior is all done and to my liking. Every other boat we looked at going up to $100k I would have spent a ton of money redoing the interior. As a woman, the interior was very important to me. Lol

Given this is our first boat that's not trailerable, we figured this was a good place to start. And most importantly, we don't buy things if we don't have the cash to pay for it. If we sunk the boat tomorrow it would suck, but it wouldn't cause any financial hardship. And another thing, it gives us something to DO.

Good grief, StarsMan, do you realise what a gem of a partner you have there...unbelievable...
:dance:

Oh and we did ask him to check to see if water cold have gotten in from a leaky fuel cap or whatever you call it.

He checked it out and said the gasket or o-ring or whatever you call that thing was in good shape. Not dry rotted, not broken, and appears to be sealing when you tighten the cap and he does not at all think that could be the source of the water.

And my own aside to my hubby...considering your state of inebriation last night when you made your post, it was quite legible and made sense....good job! I'm proud of you....:rofl:

I'm going to start a new thread on a different topic in the general maintenance forum and I hope those of you with experience can offer me some tips.

Last edited:
Wifey B:

I also think at some point you may be able to offer advice from your experience, lessons learned the hard way. Maybe one like "next time we'll get a survey." I don't know. Just keep it coming.

BEST line ever....hubby got good chuckle out of that one. :D

Oh and we did ask him to check to see if water cold have gotten in from a leaky fuel cap or whatever you call it.

He checked it out and said the gasket or o-ring or whatever you call that thing was in good shape. Not dry rotted, not broken, and appears to be sealing when you tighten the cap and he does not at all think that could be the source of the water.

And my own aside to my hubby...considering your state of inebriation last night when you made your post, it was quite legible and made sense....good job! I'm proud of you....:rofl:

Get his opinion in writing on his business letterhead.

I am drafting up the plans to modify the fuel system to include water separation and draining equipment. This upgrade will probably be installed within the next couple of months.

Did you have any type of fuel-water separator filter, or any fuel filter in between the tank and the engine? If so, you'll probably want to change those filters out immediately.

Get his opinion in writing on his business letterhead.

They are SUPPOSED to be writing something up for us. We'll see what we get.

Business letterhead?
Madisonville LA?

BTW, did post 54 take you back a year to when your existence was challenged?

We still challenge our own existence. Maybe this entire world is just like Newhart and we'll all wake and find it a dream.

Metaphysics or Existentialism?

Yes, business letterhead, invoice, something. Something with name, signature and phone number. What one has verbally said will be useless in negotiations and/or any further action. Having a written document from an expert was my point and I'd think they do have such even there. Something more than just an invoice stating the charge, but stating the opinion and basis of opinion regarding the cause.

Good Luck on the big weekend, I know when I first got my boat I could not wait for holiday weekends

Last edited:
Hubby heard from head mechanic yesterday. He said they pulled 3 gallons of water out. We added some type of additives to take care of whatever was remaining.
He wouldn't come out and say it came from the fuel but he said in his professional opinion, the engines would not have run with that amount of water in the fuel. He said if they were running and then they were not, whatever happened in the interim is where the water came from. And the only thing that happened in the interim was getting fuel.
He is separating the water removal part of the work and putting that on a separate invoice and including the details and his opinion. The cost was just under $400.
The rest of the work we were already having done which was just a general servicing/tune up.

At the end of the day it could have been a lot worse and I'm just happy our engines and generator are back up and running.

Good Luck on the big weekend, I know when I first got my boat I could not wait for holiday weekends

Thanks....we're patiently waiting for Arvin to finish his painting so we can take her out.
Are you taking yours out this weekend?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom